• Playwire Ad Area

Division 2, Division 3, NAIA, JUCO, NCWA

I’ve been considering making this thread. Obviously most people here are here to talk about D1 wrestling at the highest level, but there are hundreds of programs outside of D1 that have talent, resources, great coaching, passion, etc.

Does anyone here follow other divisions? I wanted to start this thread to see if there are good resources for following it and supporting it. Additionally there are guys from non-D1 schools that go on and wrestle post collegiately to make world teams. Tervel Dlagnev & Daniel DeShazer come to mind.

This is an open topic, I have nothing to add other than they deserve support and recognition as well. 

• Fire 3

I follow D2 and D3 pretty closely. D3 seems to have guys make national and world teams a bit more frequently than D2. Nazar Kulchytskyy, Riley Lefever, and Joe Rau immediately come to mind as names in recent years. NAIA also had Brandon Wright in the mix a few years ago. Overall, I believe the level of wrestling has risen in those divisions and they’re equally exciting to watch.

• Fire 1

55 minutes ago, FanOfPurdueWrestling said:

I’ve been considering making this thread. Obviously most people here are here to talk about D1 wrestling at the highest level, but there are hundreds of programs outside of D1 that have talent, resources, great coaching, passion, etc.

Does anyone here follow other divisions? I wanted to start this thread to see if there are good resources for following it and supporting it. Additionally there are guys from non-D1 schools that go on and wrestle post collegiately to make world teams. Tervel Dlagnev & Daniel DeShazer come to mind.

This is an open topic, I have nothing to add other than they deserve support and recognition as well. 

A man of action!

• Fire 1

30 minutes ago, Idaho said:

I follow NJCAA 

I was thinking, who are some people that are a product of JUCO at big schools? It seems the route for a lot of football and basketball kids without the grades. I believe Cormier started at a Juco(?) and I know Jon Jones won a NJCAA title. 

any others in recent history?

4 hours ago, FanOfPurdueWrestling said:

I was thinking, who are some people that are a product of JUCO at big schools? It seems the route for a lot of football and basketball kids without the grades. I believe Cormier started at a Juco(?) and I know Jon Jones won a NJCAA title. 

Just off the top of my head for this season there are several starters that came from the JUCO ranks... McDermott, Crosby, Strickenberger, Morton (D2), Ricks, Spangler.  More distant  Joe Colon, Deron Winn, Covington, Jones,  Lesnar come to mind. 

• Fire 3

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

7 hours ago, FanOfPurdueWrestling said:

This is isn't recent history, but Rulon Gardner and TJ Williams both went to a JUCO. 

• Fire 1

I wrestled D3, but I don’t really follow it.  We’ve had the discussion about D2/D3 guys competing at D1 NCAA’s before, and I’d guess there might be 1 or 2 guys total across D2/D3 that might place low AA each year, but that’s about it.  

I do still wish they let the D2 and D3 champs into NCAA’s though…

I think part of the reason for that is the eligibility clock though.  Someone earlier mentioned Shawn Streck.  I don’t believe he would still be eligible in D1

• Fire 1

You get a lot more interesting stories at the club and NAIA level. As a young adult, you have a lot more things to think about than a sport; kids to feed, dreams to pursue, families to uplift.. D1 doesn’t allow much grace for that.

I really do wish there was more holistic coverage in wrestling. We have space for it as a fringe sport. Would love to hear more about the guys that can’t necessarily live the sheltered lifestyle of a full time career, but still get after it.

• Fire 3

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

I wrestled D3, but I don’t really follow it.  We’ve had the discussion about D2/D3 guys competing at D1 NCAA’s before, and I’d guess there might be 1 or 2 guys total across D2/D3 that might place low AA each year, but that’s about it.  

I think part of the reason for that is the eligibility clock though.  Someone earlier mentioned Shawn Streck.  I don’t believe he would still be eligible in D1

Leigel from Wisconsin is a grad transfer from D3, was 3,1,2 at D3 tournament.  He's been ranked in the teens most of the second half of this season.  Obviously he has the benefit of being in a B1G room this season, but this will give a glimpse on how a D3 stud might fair in D1.

• Fire 4

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

I am a proponent of the top 3 D2/D3/NAIA guys being allowed to go the D1 natys, but now I think they would get lured away to a bigger school with NIL money. 

Edited by TexRef
  • Fire 2

2 hours ago, jchapman said:

Leigel from Wisconsin is a grad transfer from D3, was 3,1,2 at D3 tournament.  He's been ranked in the teens most of the second half of this season.  Obviously he has the benefit of being in a B1G room this season, but this will give a glimpse on how a D3 stud might fair in D1.

Agree.  I think most of the champs could likely win 1-3 matches at NCAA’s (still an impressive feat of course), but an AA would be rare.

• Fire 1

4 hours ago, 1032004 said:

That is part of it, the other part is academic eligibility (minimum gpa) is different at each level.

1 hour ago, GreenandGold said:

That is part of it, the other part is academic eligibility (minimum gpa) is different at each level.

The joke used to be that NAIA stood for No Academic Investigations Allowed.

• Haha 1

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.