• Playwire Ad Area

Is Cox going 97Kg for 2023?

mspart

2 hours ago, Eagle26 said:

Olympic weights WTT should be a week or more before the other weights. Then allow the losers from Olympic weights to challenge at the other weights. That would give us our best team and we’d get to see some interesting matchups. I like Zahid at 92 but don’t think he’s going to give up on his Olympic dream at 86.

I wouldn't talk too much.  You're making way too much sense.  Way too much.

I would say give them at least two weeks after OTT, if we can.

Give them three-four weeks after NCAAs, with Last Chance the week before, then two weeks for Non-Oly WTT.

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

@nhs67 is this what you are suggesting?

3rd weekend of March: NCAAs

2nd weekend of April: Last Chance

4th weekend of April: Olympic weights

2nd weekend of May: Non-olympic weights including invitation to all Oly weight qualifiers

With the deprioritization of National Team Member status due to the rise in support at the RTC level this seems like a great idea and worked well after OTTs the past two cycles. The very large snag is reserving two venues rather than one.

i am an idiot on the internet

31 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

2nd weekend of May: Non-olympic weights including invitation to all Oly weight qualifiers

With the deprioritization of National Team Member status due to the rise in support at the RTC level this seems like a great idea and worked well after OTTs the past two cycles. The very large snag is reserving two venues rather than one.

Why wouldn't something like this work?

1 hour ago, bnwtwg said:

I like the idea… where does US open fit in though? I wouldn’t think we need them done that early so I’d be ok pushing things back a bit if we need to

3 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Why wouldn't something like this work?

Just the cost of the venue. Everything else looks good that you suggested minus the US Open which @Eagle26 wisely pointed out. So maybe it's

2nd weekend of April: US Open

4th weekend of April: Last Chance

2nd weekend of May: Olympic weights

4th weekend of May: Non-olympic weights including invitation to all Oly weight qualifiers

But how are you going to do Final X? Or will Olympic weights go back to the two-day system that gives a supreme advantage to the incumbent a la JB over Dake. Or is it such that any Oly weight finals participant cannot compete in a non-OIy bracket and thus rendering this whole exercise futile.

38 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Just the cost of the venue. Everything else looks good that you suggested minus the US Open which @Eagle26 wisely pointed out. So maybe it's

2nd weekend of April: US Open

4th weekend of April: Last Chance

2nd weekend of May: Olympic weights

4th weekend of May: Non-olympic weights including invitation to all Oly weight qualifiers

But how are you going to do Final X? Or will Olympic weights go back to the two-day system that gives a supreme advantage to the incumbent a la JB over Dake. Or is it such that any Oly weight finals participant cannot compete in a non-OIy bracket and thus rendering this whole exercise futile.

Final X is 6 weeks after the WTT weights.

Edited by nhs67

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

Final X is 6 weeks after the WTT weights.

But what about Oly weight finalists? If the whole point is to get the best team then how can that be accomplished? Let's use Cox as an example as assume for this hypothetical's sake that he wants a world medal and is open to going 92 if he doesn't win the spot at 97:

Cox goes 97 and makes the finals. Does he also compete at the WTT tourney down at 92? Does he compete at both Final X?

I'm asking these questions because this idea has good traction but there would be scenarios to be addressed before FloRadio wholesale lifts this conversation and comes up with invalid talking points.

1 hour ago, bnwtwg said:

But what about Oly weight finalists? If the whole point is to get the best team then how can that be accomplished? Let's use Cox as an example as assume for this hypothetical's sake that he wants a world medal and is open to going 92 if he doesn't win the spot at 97:

Cox goes 97 and makes the finals. Does he also compete at the WTT tourney down at 92? Does he compete at both Final X?

I'm asking these questions because this idea has good traction but there would be scenarios to be addressed before FloRadio wholesale lifts this conversation and comes up with invalid talking points.

Good point. I don’t think we need a 6 week break for final X (we used to do it the next day). I don’t want to go back to that but I think we could do a two week break. So we could do WTT Olympic weights mid May, two weeks later Final X Olympic weights, two weeks after that WTT non-Olympic weights, and two after that Final X non-Olympic weights. You would finish in the same six week time period. I’m sure there’s other issues we haven’t thought of but it could probably be done if we wanted to.

• 1 month later...