• Playwire Ad Area

Do we think the new Big10 schools add wrestling?

36 minutes ago, Winners Circle said:

Money talks and b*llshit walks. 

Sometimes even Money is silent.... Boise State offered to self fund their program and had over 100k in pledges to start and 25k donated for a new competition mat. Bob Kustra the president at the time as well as the AD refused to even meet.  They started baseball instead that flopped.  Oregon wrestling has been at work for years to get wrestling back at UO to no avail. They added baseball instead. 

• Fire 1

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

37 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Sometimes even Money is silent.... Boise State offered to self fund their program and had over 100k in pledges to start and 25k donated for a new competition mat. Bob Kustra the president at the time as well as the AD refused to even meet.  They started baseball instead that flopped.  Oregon wrestling has been at work for years to get wrestling back at UO to no avail. They added baseball instead. 

If I am not mistaken, baseball at UO hasn't gone all that well either. 

Posting a link to a story that was released AUGUST 5th of LAST YEAR????   Brilliant....................NOT!!!!

It's not like it's MORE than 6 months old now..............oh wait....................YES IT IS.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Posting a link to a story that was released AUGUST 5th of LAST YEAR????   Brilliant....................NOT!!!!

It's not like it's MORE than 6 months old now..............oh wait....................YES IT IS.

Oh man, I really thought you were calling it brilliant, then I followed all of those dots and saw "NOT!!!!" - you totally got me! Then I thought the story really wasn't more than 6 months old but again... dot dot dot dot dot dot dot... bam! Turns out it was! You got me again!! 💀

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Thumper said:

Has anything changed since that article was written?

Also, Cal State Bakersfield still has a program  - I know you are disappointed @NearFall@bronco. 

• Fire 1

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

If these schools were smart, they'd add men's AND women's wrestling. doing both at the same time fixes any title IX compliance issues (guessing...I have little idea what actually goes into that). It also makes it way easier to justify expenditures on things like upgrading training facilities as dollars spent will benefit two times the athletes. Also, starting a women's program from scratch would certainly be easier at that level than a men's program in the talent-packed B1G.

On 2/13/2024 at 8:52 AM, Idaho said:

Sometimes even Money is silent.... Boise State offered to self fund their program and had over 100k in pledges to start and 25k donated for a new competition mat. 

Do you recall how much money?  My recollection was it wasn't enough to endow the program.  You'd easily burn thru $100k in less than a year.  We were all disappointed they dropped the sport.  

• Fire 1