• Playwire Ad Area

Iowa fans.....How are we feeling about tonight? What's the mood??

Particularly if you are heading to Hawkeye Carver to watch in person...

Do you have the same anticipation as you normally do heading into a big dual? Are you more nervous than usual because of what the result will be? 

I ask because I have not seen many collegiate duals live as I don't live close to the teams I cheer for. 

I will try to put it into CFB perspective as it relates..... I remember tailgating/walking to the stadium knowing my school was going up against a powerhouse. Although I knew my team was good, we had no chance of winning; and my excitement level wasn't what it was for games past because I was thinking in the back of my mind "Man I hope we don't get our asses kicked at home on National TV". This could be a thought for some Hawkeye fans, and a thought many have running through their mind for the first time ever heading in Carver. 

I thought this about Ohio St/Penn St last week watching on tv...... BUT we weren't at home and i've seen us get our butts kicked by Penn St and a few others over the last decade or so, so it wasn't totally foreign to me. AND we didn't get shutout which is a possibility tonight as much as one may think it isn't.

18 minutes ago, RandolphTJones said:

Particularly if you are heading to Hawkeye Carver to watch in person...

Believe most Iowa fans will be excited about the ice cream 🍦 

• Haha 1

As an Iowa faithful, I know walking into the arena that we’re about to pull off the greatest upset of the century. Tom Brands figured it out. He said he knows his guys need to “wrestle better” and “be tough”. He cracked the code. I’m going to sit back, eat about 3000 calories worth of snacks, and watch our boys go to work out there. 

• Fire 5
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, JuanMogen said:

As an Iowa faithful, I know walking into the arena that we’re about to pull off the greatest upset of the century. Tom Brands figured it out. He said he knows his guys need to “wrestle better” and “be tough”. He cracked the code. I’m going to sit back, eat about 3000 calories worth of snacks, and watch our boys go to work out there. 

As a fan of neither team, i'd love to see it. 

Good luck to your toilet. 

The mood in Iowa should be "we can't beat them, but we can piss them off." 

Its kind of like 2 years ago when ISU couldnt beat Iowa in the dual but they won the public relations side because there was almost a bench clearing brawl....gotta use the narrative, which is something like "PSU is about to get Iowas program cancelled", to their advantage somehow. 

• Fire 1

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

53 minutes ago, JuanMogen said:

if you are gonna attack the fan base, try to be funny. 

• Fire 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

Its kind of like 2 years ago when ISU couldnt beat Iowa in the dual but they won the public relations side because there was almost a bench clearing brawl....gotta use the narrative, which is something like "PSU is about to get Iowas program cancelled", to their advantage somehow. 

I'm all for this, HLIII

Related to this, for the Iowa faithful, who are you most pleasantly surprised with in terms of their development or performance this year?  

Iowa doesn't have a ton of blue chip names in the lineup, but nevertheless the room has still seen a lot of guys step up and keep Iowa very much in the discussion all year.  

Glazier has already done the entire wrestling community a tremendous favor this year...

• Fire 2

1 hour ago, Hammerlock3 said:

Isn't that just Iowa's SOP, but with "we can't beat them" added up front?

Edited by steamboat_charlie

1 minute ago, steamboat_charlie said:

Isn't that just Iowa's SOP, but with "we can't beat them" added up front?

sort of, but whats your point? If you mean it doesn't affect how they are gonna wrestle you're wrong about that.

My point was simply that Iowa seems like they're always trying to piss someone off. 

Sort of, equally accurate to say that a lot of people live pissed off at Iowa. 

Anyway the method of pissing of Aaron Brooks is different than pissing off Evan Bates. 

2 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

Sort of, equally accurate to say that a lot of people live pissed off at Iowa. 

Anyway the method of pissing of Aaron Brooks is different than pissing off Evan Bates. 

Iowa walks around trying to piss people off.  People get pissed off at Iowa.  

That tracks. 

• Fire 1

Iowa walks around trying to piss people off.  People get pissed off at Iowa.  

That tracks. 

If carter starocci wrestled for Iowa would be be more or less popular? 

2 minutes ago, JuanMogen said:

Patterns vs. exceptions. Hopefully, Iowa will keep their KT Tape sponsorship after this season. Fund a few more transfers. 

yeah then they could get guys like Nagao and truax and kerkvliet

Edited by Hammerlock3

Before Michigan, I was thinking that 3 wins was the expectation and 4 would be gravy (5+ would be when the giggles start). 

Post Michigan, I can't say I'm in a bad mood exactly but I'm definitely less excited. In fact, I'm considering going out with my girlfriend and her crazy friends instead of watching. Will definitely be more eventful. 

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

Before Michigan, I was thinking that 3 wins was the expectation and 4 would be gravy (5+ would be when the giggles start). 

Post Michigan, I can't say I'm in a bad mood exactly but I'm definitely less excited. In fact, I'm considering going out with my girlfriend and her crazy friends instead of watching. Will definitely be more eventful. 

Crazy girlfriend and her friends?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hammerlock3 said:

yeah then they could get guys like Nagao and truax and kerkvliet

I apologize, and I'll explain what part I wanted you to focus on. Its the part you're trying to ignore. Its the injury part. It had nothing to do with the transfers - everybody is going to try to go where they want to. Usually, that's Penn State, who is known to develop wrestlers. Sometimes, they go to Iowa and get a cut of that bandage sponsorship money.

But I'm a Hawkeye through and through anyway. That's why at age 65 I have crippling pain in my neck, low back, and knees from training the Iowa way. I want to see my boys pull it off tonight. If Real lands that keylock and Angel Rivera is at the helm, I think we're in business.