• Playwire Ad Area

Concerning Situation in Pakistan

It is election day in Pakistan. For those who don't know, the Pakistani military, with US backing, led a pseudo-coup to oust popular Prime Minister Imran Khan. This was motivated by Khan's neutrality over Russia's invasion of Ukraine. Since his removal, Khan's supporters have been violently harassed by the military. 

The military is going to great lengths to delegitimize the election because Khan is expected to win a dominant victory. I'll post an article below laying out the details. Today, they've shut off access to the internet, had armed clashes with protestors, and shut down media reporting on results.

It will be interesting to see what our State Department says about this as we're clearly involved in this attack on democracy.

https://theintercept.com/2024/02/07/pakistan-election-pti-imran-khan/

1 minute ago, uncle bernard said:

It will be interesting to see what our State Department says about this as we're clearly involved in this attack on democracy.

https://theintercept.com/2024/02/07/pakistan-election-pti-imran-khan/

Wow.  That's a really big statement.  And I won't even debate you on whether or not it's actually true.  

What I will ask is....you feel comfortable you've really done enough homework to make such a statement?  Again, that's a pretty big one to just throw out there on the basis of a few .com pages.

• Fire 1

Just now, WrestlingRasta said:

Wow.  That's a really big statement.  And I won't even debate you on whether or not it's actually true.  

What I will ask is....you feel comfortable you've really done enough homework to make such a statement?  Again, that's a pretty big one to just throw out there on the basis of a few .com pages.

I don't know if the State Department is directly involved in the events going on today. I do know that they were directly involved in the initial coup and have done nothing to set the situation right since then.

I'm actually quite sure they're probably pissed at the military for making it so obvious. It leaves them very little wiggle room to obfuscate. Today's briefing will be interesting.

https://theintercept.com/2023/08/09/imran-khan-pakistan-cypher-ukraine-russia/

The above is an article including a leaked Pakistani memo about a meeting with the US ambassador in which the US ambassador intimates that the removal of Khan through the no-confidence vote is the best path towards repairing the US-Pakistan relationship. 

Directly involved because of a memo in which he intimates????   That general could have and most likely would have acted no matter what the US wanted.  There’s a long history of military ousters there.  

Edited by JimmyBT
  • Fire 1

I’m confused.

The US supported the democratic process (a no-confidence vote, via PAK Parliament). They expressed their wishes. That’s pretty common.

While I’m well aware of the US’ long history of, ahem, shaping the governments of certain regions, this doesn’t sound like that.

It sounds like Pakistan’s parliament AND military were in favor of ousting him via a perfectly legal and constitutional process, and did that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Le duke said:

I’m confused.

The US supported the democratic process (a no-confidence vote, via PAK Parliament). They expressed their wishes. That’s pretty common.

While I’m well aware of the US’ long history of, ahem, shaping the governments of certain regions, this doesn’t sound like that.

It sounds like Pakistan’s parliament AND military were in favor of ousting him via a perfectly legal and constitutional process, and did that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

we put our thumb on the scale by making it clear we wanted him gone. 

the much bigger issue is that the military appears to be trying to overturn the new election results that would put him back in place. if hamas or iran were doing this, the state department would be calling it an outrage, and rightfully so. 

The Biden admin should be using all its influence to make sure this election proceeds peacefully and the rightful results released. If they don’t cooperate, we should be ending diplomatic relations. 

1 hour ago, uncle bernard said:

we put our thumb on the scale by making it clear we wanted him gone. 

the much bigger issue is that the military appears to be trying to overturn the new election results that would put him back in place. if hamas or iran were doing this, the state department would be calling it an outrage, and rightfully so. 

The Biden admin should be using all its influence to make sure this election proceeds peacefully and the rightful results released. If they don’t cooperate, we should be ending diplomatic relations. 

So we weren’t directly involved?  🤦‍♂️ 

7 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

telling the military we’ll forgive you guys if you expel your popular leader because he remained neutral on ukraine is pretty direct. 

i thought you hated biden?

Far from direct.  Happens all the time all over the world.  Sometimes they listen sometimes they don’t.   What difference does it make if I hate Biden? 

10 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

telling the military we’ll forgive you guys if you expel your popular leader because he remained neutral on ukraine is pretty direct. 

i thought you hated biden?

wtf are you talking about? 

just say you hate america and be done with it. 

• Fire 2

TBD

1 hour ago, WrestlingRasta said:

Seems like there are a few folks in here that are not a big fan of America. 

yeah, crybabies and dorks that have a warped self of reality.

the irony is that the very America they find fault in at every turn is the same one they cry for to help illegal immigrants have 'a better life'.

• Fire 1

TBD

15 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

the irony is that the very America they find fault in at every turn is the same one they cry for to help illegal immigrants have 'a better life'.

There are definitely a good number of people who could benefit by spending a little time in some other countries. 

• Fire 2

4 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

Is it really too much to ask for my country to stop interfering with other countries' democratic processes? It almost always ends in disaster for everybody.

The best part about this country is being able to criticize its actions. Strangely, that's the right that pisses the most people off (even though they do it constantly too).

• Fire 1

Pakistan Parliament: "We want to oust our president"

US Officials: "You do you"

Uncle Bernard: "The US continues to interfere in global politics"

idc that anyone criticizes the government. but you're a whiny baby that blames the US for tsunamis in Indonesia.

we get it; you hate america

• Fire 1

TBD

3 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

idc that anyone criticizes the government. but you're a whiny baby that blames the US for tsunamis in Indonesia.

This is not what happened.

7 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

You constantly criticize Biden and the Democrats. Why do you hate America?

We do have some Ultra-Patriots in here who are excessively intolerant of USA criticism.  There is one lurking at odd hours of the night that says, 'Be cool and think of both sides' in some posts and then has emotional fits on anything sensitive.

• Fire 4