• Playwire Ad Area

Is this the year Oklahoma State steps up at The Big Dance?

OSU has not been doing great at the NCAA tournament. Not as big a failure as Iowa, but overall not that good.

Now that John Smith seems to be recovered/improving from PTFD and has added Coleman Scott to the staff - will they start performing when it is crunch time? They have been looking good and getting better. Smith is looking more upbeat with fewer 'angry grandpa' snits on the sidelines this year.

Can they push for 2nd? Is it realistic?

• Fire 2

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

4 minutes ago, AgaveMaria said:

OSU has not been doing great at the NCAA tournament. Not as big a failure as Iowa, but overall not that good.

Now that John Smith seems to be recovered/improving from PTFD and has added Coleman Scott to the staff - will they start performing when it is crunch time? They have been looking good and getting better. Smith is looking more upbeat with fewer 'angry grandpa' snits on the sidelines this year.

They have been wrestling great and Coleman has definitely breathed some life into the program. I think they have 3 guys they can depend on to score some points and get on the podium .... Fix, Olejnik and Plott.  The rest seem to be dabbling on the fringe in that 12-16 area, but that doesn't mean that they couldn't peak and sneak in at a 7/8.  I don't think they finish 2nd...but I definitely think they have a better tournament than what we have seen in recent years. 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

57 minutes ago, AgaveMaria said:

Very wrong

• Fire 3

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

3 hours ago, AgaveMaria said:

Lol I love "PTFD". Don't forget Mastro who never figured out how to shoot or get off bottom and then quit mid season to run a zoo. PTFMD might be a little wordy though lol

This Cowboy fan is hopeflu though! Squad is looking real good. Winning tight matches, getting bonus points, gassing out their opponents. If that continues then they certainly could place 2nd. I'd be happy with top five, for sure. Or even just seeing them perform to the best of their abilities. The last two years have been a blur of "what are they doing out there?" with a few bright spots in Fix and Plott.

If I recall correctly OSU did place 3rd in 2021 and placed 2nd in 2019 or 2018. So it hasn't been THAT long since they've done well at NCAAs. But two years is a long time to be down in Cowboy Country.

11 minutes ago, alex1fly said:

Lol I love "PTFD". Don't forget Mastro who never figured out how to shoot or get off bottom and then quit mid season to run a zoo. PTFMD might be a little wordy though lol

This Cowboy fan is hopeflu though! Squad is looking real good. Winning tight matches, getting bonus points, gassing out their opponents. If that continues then they certainly could place 2nd. I'd be happy with top five, for sure. Or even just seeing them perform to the best of their abilities. The last two years have been a blur of "what are they doing out there?" with a few bright spots in Fix and Plott.

If I recall correctly OSU did place 3rd in 2021 and placed 2nd in 2019 or 2018. So it hasn't been THAT long since they've done well at NCAAs. But two years is a long time to be down in Cowboy Country.

True... I think the 18th, 14th and 13th in recent history have left a stain that's hard to get out. 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

3 hours ago, RandolphTJones said:

I really like the way Ragusin has been wrestling this year, and feel like Vito's gonna peak at the right time. Fix has an uphill battle to get his title. Seeding will be huge. 

Yup. Rags is my pick though I don't know well Ragusin2024 matches up with Fix. Vito is always a threat but he may be splitting his time on his freestyle and weight management game and not totally keyed in for NCAAs. Crookham will make some noise too. I'd like Teske to be a darkhorse but who knows if he's even in the lineup next month.

22 minutes ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

Yup. Rags is my pick though I don't know well Ragusin2024 matches up with Fix. Vito is always a threat but he may be splitting his time on his freestyle and weight management game and not totally keyed in for NCAAs. Crookham will make some noise too. I'd like Teske to be a darkhorse but who knows if he's even in the lineup next month.

Hard not to pick Vito if he comes in free of injuries, after his performance at last years NCAAS and Worlds. He was clutch when it mattered

• Fire 1

9 minutes ago, Jim L said:

Hard not to pick Vito if he comes in free of injuries, after his performance at last years NCAAS and Worlds. He was clutch when it mattered

He also didn't have one eye on OTTs less than 4 weeks from Nationals or keeping his weight within reach of 125lbs last year. I agree that he's still one of a small group of favorites to win it all, though.

3 hours ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

He also didn't have one eye on OTTs less than 4 weeks from Nationals or keeping his weight within reach of 125lbs last year. I agree that he's still one of a small group of favorites to win it all, though.

Ummm... Vito won the US Open a month after NCAAs last year. I can't remember how the rest of his freestyle season went but I'm sure he did alright.

i am an idiot on the internet

1 hour ago, bnwtwg said:

Ummm... Vito won the US Open a month after NCAAs last year. I can't remember how the rest of his freestyle season went but I'm sure he did alright.

Indeed. But that was at 61kg. I think he's the favorite but the looming weight cut and the injury have added a wrinkle

19 hours ago, AgaveMaria said:

Will Surber be back and in shape for the post season?

7 hours ago, Offthemat said:

Will Surber be back and in shape for the post season?

Hopefully so. OSU will need him if they want to make top 5. Other options at 197 are a backup and a stud who's in redshirt.

22 hours ago, Idaho said:

True... I think the 18th, 14th and 13th in recent history have left a stain that's hard to get out. 

Yep exactly.