• Playwire Ad Area

More Tough Wrestling coming to Brown University

In addition to Max Murin who is on the staff already, it looks like they are also adding Michael Kemerer.  Two PA guys who wrestled for Iowa will now be coaching at Brown.  Good for them.  Wonder how it will impact Brown in terms of recruiting.  

• Fire 3

12 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

In addition to Max Murin who is on the staff already, it looks like they are also adding Michael Kemerer.  Two PA guys who wrestled for Iowa will now be coaching at Brown.  Good for them.  Wonder how it will impact Brown in terms of recruiting.  

Curious how long they stay , Brown has had a few AAs come in to coach recently but it doesn’t seem like they stay long 

• Fire 1

14 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

Can/do they recruite?

2 minutes ago, ionel said:

Can/do they recruite?

I know there are restrictions, but I assumed - perhaps wrongly - that they would be part of the recruitment process as assistant coaches.  Whether they can be effective recruiters?  I'm not so sure, but at the least, Kemerer could tap into his area back in western PA, and any connections he made in Iowa - and Murin the same but for Central PA instead of Western.  

• Fire 1

Just now, flyingcement said:

I know there are restrictions, but I assumed - perhaps wrongly - that they would be part of the recruitment process as assistant coaches.  Whether they can be effective recruiters?  I'm not so sure, but at the least, Kemerer could tap into his area back in western PA, and any connections he made in Iowa - and Murin the same but for Central PA instead of Western.  

Yeah my question is whether the university actively recruits for athletics or has a budget for such.  One of our club kids went to Brown, got in on academics but checked out the wrestling team during the process and was on the team.  I don't know if he was recruited.  

• Fire 1

2 minutes ago, ionel said:

Yeah my question is whether the university actively recruits for athletics or has a budget for such.  One of our club kids went to Brown, got in on academics but checked out the wrestling team during the process and was on the team.  I don't know if he was recruited.  

That's a valid question.  If they can increase the profile of the program, they can at least attract some more Ivy level students who either have lots of money or are eligible for financial aid (for which ivy league schools are mostly generous I have heard).  It may not be a major boost, but maybe closing the gap a little with Harvard could be a start.  

• Fire 1

Just now, flyingcement said:

That's a valid question.  If they can increase the profile of the program, they can at least attract some more Ivy level students who either have lots of money or are eligible for financial aid (for which ivy league schools are mostly generous I have heard).  It may not be a major boost, but maybe closing the gap a little with Harvard could be a start.  

If you're a middle class kid and you get into the Ivy League, they pay for it all, more or less.

• Fire 2

I might venture that out of the Ivies, Brown is the school which is least supportive of its athletics.  While doing rather well with business placement and having strong grad programs, the school is also a notable hippy farm, which is an identity they very much embrace.   It is also typically an identity for which organized athletics is completely anathema.

I hope they get better and have stronger support, but Brown is pretty close to the bottom of all D1 programs both in terms of success and long term viability.

• Fire 1

4 minutes ago, wrestle87 said:

I might venture that out of the Ivies, Brown is the school which is least supportive of its athletics.  While doing rather well with business placement and having strong grad programs, the school is also a notable hippy farm, which is an identity they very much embrace.   It is also typically an identity for which organized athletics is completely anathema.

I hope they get better and have stronger support, but Brown is pretty close to the bottom of all D1 programs both in terms of success and long term viability.

You may be right - and yet in spite of that - a conservative clean cut school like Notre Dame or Boston College do not have an active D1 program.  And Brown does.  So for all the hippies out there - there's got to be a couple wrestlers.  Askren always had a bit of a hippy vibe to me.  

• Fire 2
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, ionel said:

Assuming these guys are getting paid for being coaches, what other budget would they really need?  Wouldn’t “recruited” in this case pretty much just be a coach calling a kid and saying they’d like to have them on the team so if they’re interested they should apply?

• Fire 1

2 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Assuming these guys are getting paid for being coaches, what other budget would they really need?  Wouldn’t “recruited” in this case pretty much just be a coach calling a kid and saying they’d like to have them on the team so if they’re interested they should apply?

In some cases - if an Ivy program cared a lot about a sport, they could green light someone's admissions if they otherwise would not have a chance

8 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Travel

10 hours ago, Jim L said:

They had good teams in the early 90s. With a few top 3 EIWA finishes. 

Noted hippy Steve Mocco had an older brother, Joe, who wrestled for Brown and won EIWAs (I think)

• Fire 2

1 hour ago, D3 for LU said:

Yes... Joe Mocco won the EIWA's in 1992:

EIWA 1992 (wrestlingstats.com)

(He also came in 2nd @ the EIWA's @ 158 in '91 & "93. )

D3

You sent me down a rabbit hole looking at old EIWA results.

Hopefully their new assistants will lead them to better results than 1985 when they managed to score -3 points!

How does a team accomplish that? I remember seeing a few teams getting -1 points at NCAA, but -3 has to be a record

image.png.3675405218db9ba323c38cc16c1eb553.png

• Haha 2

Just now, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

What happened to Kem at Cornell? The season isn't even over!

Kemerererer was at the Spartan Combat RTC, not Cornell.  Cornell has four (different) coaches (Grey, Vinson, Russell, Gwiz).

1 minute ago, BigRedFan said:

Kemerererer was at the Spartan Combat RTC, not Cornell.  Cornell has four (different) coaches (Grey, Vinson, Russell, Gwiz).

Hmmm.  Does Spartan Combat RTC "occasionally" practice with the Cornell team? I wonder if Kem ever offered any advice to Cornell athletes?

But given that info, it makes sense he would want to officially be on a staff to build his resume.  I think he has said that he wants to make a career of coaching.