• Playwire Ad Area

The importance of dual competition

Southend

Or the selective importance of dual competition. Of course the need to have a certain number of matches. Tournament wrestling seems to be a much better way though. The need to entertain fans, for the most part, to have home court viewing. For the most part their seems to be less and less, of coaches and teams , to put their best foot forward during dual season. Seems like a lot of posturing to get a good position for the athletes come NCAA finals. And less of just letting the athletes put it on the line. Have duals importance diminished  from this? 

• Fire 3

From a fan perspective, duals are more fun for more people. It's a regular event on a weekend or an evening. Couple hours and you're done. Hype, excitement, momentum. Anyone can enjoy themselves at a dual, from serious fans to newbies to aspiring and former wrestlers. Less risk of injury to the athletes too. Tournaments are more of a grind and better suited for parents and die-hards. It's hard to follow all the matches/brackets and you often have to take time off of work to attend or even to view online. 

Edited by alex1fly
  • Fire 2

4 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Increase the minimum number of matches to qualify for conference tournaments to 20

It may come down to that. The trend being hold out as much as you can get away with. 

• Fire 2

8 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

That will increase attendance at the Mat Town II Open.

Or result in the creation of the Mat Town III Open.

Or another "Dresser Special"

Edited by lu_alum
  • Fire 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, alex1fly said:

From a fan perspective, duals are more fun for more people. It's a regular event on a weekend or an evening. Couple hours and you're done. Hype, excitement, momentum. Anyone can enjoy themselves at a dual, from serious fans to newbies to aspiring and former wrestlers. Less risk of injury to the athletes too. Tournaments are more of a grind and better suited for parents and die-hards. It's hard to follow all the matches/brackets and you often have to take time off of work to attend or even to view online. 

All of this is true and important. For pure enjoyment reasons. Seems coaches are wavering on the importance issue pertaining to duals.  

15 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

That will increase attendance at the Mat Town II Open.

And make it one of the premier in-season tournaments… featuring much  of the Penn state squad and other top tier light schedulers

5 hours ago, Southend said:

All of this is true and important. For pure enjoyment reasons. Seems coaches are wavering on the importance issue pertaining to duals.  

I'd be curious what the wrestlers think about it. How many prefer resting as much as possible, ducking hard matches, and only caring about the 3-5 days of wrestling in March (conference and NCAA tourneys)? Versus how many just want to go and compete against anybody over several months, prefer the dual atmosphere, etc?

4 hours ago, Fred said:

And make it one of the premier in-season tournaments… featuring much  of the Penn state squad and other top tier light schedulers

For the sake of discussion, who are the light schedulers? And what's the minimum # of matches required to go to NCAAs?

To answer your second question, I don’t know. 

Imho, unless injured or a legitimate contender for Olympics, less than 12 matches at this point in the season is pitiful 

Not to mention the "rivalry" factor that is a draw and important to the fan base and alumni.  For Mizzou, Oklahoma State, Iowa State, and Virginia Tech have been some "down to the wire" matches the past couple of years.  Illinois could be a potential rivalry dual in the future, and I don't know why Mizzou doesn't dual Iowa since they are a border state.  Could be tough with conference schedule commitments.

I'm one of those people that would really like to see a national dual championship.

• Fire 1

20 minutes ago, MidwestMan said:

Not to mention the "rivalry" factor that is a draw and important to the fan base and alumni.  For Mizzou, Oklahoma State, Iowa State, and Virginia Tech have been some "down to the wire" matches the past couple of years.  Illinois could be a potential rivalry dual in the future, and I don't know why Mizzou doesn't dual Iowa since they are a border state.  Could be tough with conference schedule commitments.

I'm one of those people that would really like to see a national dual championship.

I don't think location has anything to do with why Iowa won't have a dual with Mizzou. UNI is in the state of Iowa, and the Hawkeyes won't wrestle them. 

If Illinois doesn't pick it up, they won't want to dual anyone! They are currently 3-7 and are on a 6 match losing streak. That streak includes 3 matches within the conference. They very well could go winless in the conference.  But there's always next year! 

30 minutes ago, MidwestMan said:

Me too. Just have to convince coaches NCAA maybe. 

1 hour ago, TexRef said:

I don't think location has anything to do with why Iowa won't have a dual with Mizzou. UNI is in the state of Iowa, and the Hawkeyes won't wrestle them. 

If Illinois doesn't pick it up, they won't want to dual anyone! They are currently 3-7 and are on a 6 match losing streak. That streak includes 3 matches within the conference. They very well could go winless in the conference.  But there's always next year! 

I really believe Illinois has some better days ahead, so your comment about next year may be right on target.  

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, MidwestMan said:

Me too! I don't know the history or hurdles but it makes sense from a fan, wrestler, and "good for the sport" perspective. Have to think the broadcasting network would make good money, too. I picture all of college wrestling fandom watching each dual and viewership blowing NCAA tourney numbers out of the water. 

Edited by alex1fly

17 hours ago, TexRef said:

I think we hear and say that every year. 

Illinois has some of the best HS wrestlers in the nation.  Guess it comes down to Illinois coaching staff establishing connections with the power programs.  Of course, thus is true everywhere.  MU has their Askren connection.  Could be regional coaching connections.  Sometimes alumnus end up coaching D1 level and use their homegrown ties to harvest the talent.  If Illinois can keep them in state, they could be a power house.  Mizzou has certainly lost some top tier talent to outside recruiting also.  Could be more of a problem now with NIL.  

I would love to see more tri meets and quads - saves a ton of money on travel for smaller/mid programs, gets more matches in one date and a nice fan experience. 

• Fire 3

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2024 at 1:59 PM, Idaho said:

I would love to see more tri meets and quads - saves a ton of money on travel for smaller/mid programs, gets more matches in one date and a nice fan experience. 

Seems like the smaller Conferences are alreday doing this (SoCon, MAC, EIWA).  However, it doesn't seem to happen much or not at all in P5 Conferences.

• Fire 1

15 hours ago, Show_Me said:

Seems like the smaller Conferences are alreday doing this (SoCon, MAC, EIWA).  However, it doesn't seem to happen much or not at all in P5 Conferences.

I agree.... a tri-dual between Iowa, PSU and ? would be huge in every aspect. Now you are not ducking one guy for seeding, you would have to duck two. Killing two rocks with one bird. 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐