• Playwire Ad Area

Faith Christian vs Mccort

I believe Willie has them at 7 and 14 Mccort has outplaced a lot of teams ahead of them at powerade and ironman without their full lineup so I think this is essentially two top 10's they are across from each other in the state bracket so should make for an awesome final.

FCA Nationally ranked guys:

Bachmann 1 106

Botero 6 120

Stein 18 150

Weidmoyer (ranked prior to injury) 160

waters 5 175

(Also effendian at 285 and wagner at 152 were cadet AA's at fargo)

Mccort Nationally ranked guys

Forrest 2 126

Gibson 15 132

Bassett 1 138

Herring 15 145

Miller 6 152

• Fire 1

I really think if Bassett and Herring were to swap weights they would be better off.

Bassett's other jump to 138 was a bit premature as he hadn't grown into the weight or gotten used to it (yet).  I think he is there, now.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

3 hours ago, nhs67 said:

I really think if Bassett and Herring were to swap weights they would be better off.

Bassett's other jump to 138 was a bit premature as he hadn't grown into the weight or gotten used to it (yet).  I think he is there, now.

I agree herring seems to just be there because of the guys below him hes definitely a bit undersized for 145 by saturday theyll have 3lbs on top of the +2 they get post christmas so could see some very wild lineup moves. Gibson seems to have been really hindered by his injuries I remember watching him just kill kids his freshman years to losing to underclassman now as a senior.

7 minutes ago, Truzzcat said:

I agree herring seems to just be there because of the guys below him hes definitely a bit undersized for 145 by saturday theyll have 3lbs on top of the +2 they get post christmas so could see some very wild lineup moves. Gibson seems to have been really hindered by his injuries I remember watching him just kill kids his freshman years to losing to underclassman now as a senior.

Gibson came on to the scene like some sort of demon.  Didn't he beat Ungar when he was in like 7th grade and Ungar a senior?

I think with Bassett and Herring, you nailed it on the head.  He is there because Bassett is the #1 guy in the country at 138lbs.  I think Bassett could handle the bump to 145 now.  He's got that dog in him for that and it would set Herring up nicely as well.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

18 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Gibson came on to the scene like some sort of demon.  Didn't he beat Ungar when he was in like 7th grade and Ungar a senior?

I think with Bassett and Herring, you nailed it on the head.  He is there because Bassett is the #1 guy in the country at 138lbs.  I think Bassett could handle the bump to 145 now.  He's got that dog in him for that and it would set Herring up nicely as well.

he won super 32 as an 8th grader but was teching state placers routinely as a 9th grader actually got stuck by ungar in the finals of states in a tilt from rear standing but he had beaten gary steen twice that year and gary was a menace in HS.

• Fire 2

While the bracket of the two best teams worked out in AA, AAA brackets are somewhat of a mess. The #1 and #2 ranked teams in the state will meet in the quarter-finals. Will the PIAA ever seed the dual brackets? I remember not so long ago they had placement for the individual brackets as well. Seems like a disservice to the teams that work all year for a chance to capture a medal.

On 2/8/2024 at 9:05 AM, JVStateChamp said:

While the bracket of the two best teams worked out in AA, AAA brackets are somewhat of a mess. The #1 and #2 ranked teams in the state will meet in the quarter-finals. Will the PIAA ever seed the dual brackets? I remember not so long ago they had placement for the individual brackets as well. Seems like a disservice to the teams that work all year for a chance to capture a medal.

Very hard to seed teams from different parts of the state who don't wrestle each other and are likely not to even have any common opponents.

Council Rock South was apparently over-rated, as they lost their first match in the consolation bracket.  Unless you meant Central Mountain, who met BeCa in the semis, not the quarters.  

16 minutes ago, lightweight said:

Very hard to seed teams from different parts of the state who don't wrestle each other and are likely not to even have any common opponents.

Council Rock South was apparently over-rated, as they lost their first match in the consolation bracket.  Unless you meant Central Mountain, who met BeCa in the semis, not the quarters.  

I agree it is not easy to seed these brackets, but PIAA changed to seed the top four district champions in the individual brackets in 2017. I wonder if this would be a successful method for the state dual format. It is hard to say if CRS was an overrated team, with them more than likely beating Central Mountain and Connellsville if Mutarelli had been eligible (that is a different argument that has been beaten like a dead horse). Either way, the brackets worked themselves out as they normally do and there were some fun match-ups along the way.