• Playwire Ad Area

B1G announcers

Elevator

Hearing Sparks ‘guest’ on FRL helped me understand his personality outside the broadcast scene and brought me around to him even more. Seems like a good guy on top of being an intelligent and vocal advocate for wrestlers and the sport of wrestling. 

• Fire 2

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

I am partial to the ACC announcers

Rock Harrison/Shawn Kenney are a great combo

I'd love to have Rock Harrison & Hardell Moore doing the Espn NCAA announcing.  Can't we just have nice things?  

9 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Please don’t tell me you like Jeff Byers then.

I much prefer Sparks.  And if it’s Sparks’ excitement you don’t like, then liking Byers doesn’t make sense as the dude is basically always screaming.  I don’t hate it, but I’m surprised at the number of people that think he’s one of the best announcers ever.

I'm indifferent to Byers.  Sparks just says dumb shit...and with enthusiasm.

On 2/4/2024 at 11:17 AM, 1032004 said:

I am partial to the ACC announcers

Rock Harrison/Shawn Kenney are a great combo

Also the guys doing VT/UVA on Friday were funny.  

Rock and I were on the same high school team, and he's barely aged a day since.  I doubt many realize he's turning 50 this year.

The guys highlighted in this thread get all what the BIG10 network must consider their "A" matches, and do a great overall job.  But then there is a terrible fall off when you get the "B" matches on BIG10+, and you get two students, at least one of whom must have never wrestled, but is faking it from some notes in front of him.  They're the ones I turn the sound off for.  

• Haha 1

I think they do a fine job.  I don't mind Sparks.  He is kind of fun.  Just like Kenny Chertow.  Even Christina Pyles isn't half bad as an announcer.  Just as long as he doesn't give his opinion on anything.   They know the sport and make it fun.  On the other hand, the Big 10 Plus announcers are as lame as they come.  I realize they are communication students fulfilling assignments but calling matches games, wrestlers players, and making up moves named after body parts is tough to take.  It's all good.  

• Fire 2

32 minutes ago, KLCarnegieTech_1969 said:

I think they do a fine job.  I don't mind Sparks.  He is kind of fun.  Just like Kenny Chertow.  Even Christina Pyles isn't half bad as an announcer.  Just as long as he doesn't give his opinion on anything.   They know the sport and make it fun.  On the other hand, the Big 10 Plus announcers are as lame as they come.  I realize they are communication students fulfilling assignments but calling matches games, wrestlers players, and making up moves named after body parts is tough to take.  It's all good.  

ESPN+ must be same pool as BG10+

Agree that Ken Chertow was excellent

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, OMW said:

Rumor is his real name is Shane Spark, but since it's him, he pronounces in "Sparks" with his typical S at the end.

I did learn this year that his name is really Shane Nebl… (and yes I know you’re joking)

Edited by 1032004

4 hours ago, Elevator said:

ESPN+ must be same pool as BG10+

Agree that Ken Chertow was excellent

Chertow's mispronunciations were absolutely epic.  I'm not sure I'd describe his work as excellent, but I did laugh.