• Playwire Ad Area

Vincenzo Joseph - underrated?

4x AA, 3x finalist and 2x champion...yet he's never really mentioned as a Penn State great.  Probably not listed as a top 10 Penn State guy, same as another 4x AA, 3x finalist, 2x champion in Quentin Wright.

He's one of the few guys to beat another all-time great in Isiah Martinez who he beat twice in the NCAA finals.

Is he underrated?

6 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

4x AA, 3x finalist and 2x champion...yet he's never really mentioned as a Penn State great.  Probably not listed as a top 10 Penn State guy, same as another 4x AA, 3x finalist, 2x champion in Quentin Wright.

He's one of the few guys to beat another all-time great in Isiah Martinez who he beat twice in the NCAA finals.

Is he underrated?

He is mentioned as an all-time great constantly on X (Twitter).  If you ever used that social media platform, you'd know this.

• Haha 1

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

2 hours ago, jchapman said:

He is mentioned as an all-time great constantly on X (Twitter).  If you ever used that social media platform, you'd know this.

Please don't encourage him to go to Twatter.

I enjoy not seeing him there.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

I think similarly to quentin he was on a roster with such dominant bonus machines he gets a bit forgotten. On another program he would be one of the first names to come to mind as an all timer.

• Fire 1

He did lose the chance to wrestle in his last NCAA tournament.  I feel that guys who lost that year in general really get left out of a lot of conversations.  I know it was a very tough/weird/unpleasant year for most of us but because they lost the post season it ruined the finishing accomplishments for a lot guys but probably him the most. We were all very anxious to see how that tournament was going to play out.

• Fire 4

47 minutes ago, PSULou64 said:

He did lose the chance to wrestle in his last NCAA tournament.  I feel that guys who lost that year in general really get left out of a lot of conversations.  I know it was a very tough/weird/unpleasant year for most of us but because they lost the post season it ruined the finishing accomplishments for a lot guys but probably him the most. We were all very anxious to see how that tournament was going to play out.

Good point, there were a lot of loose ends that just vanished. 

Joseph going for a third national title while as pointed out above having been 0-4 at Big Tens.  Also possibly another installment of his wars with Marinelli.

Luke Pletcher and Kollin Moore looking ready to finish their careers with an elusive championship. I actually thought that these two were the ones hurt the most.  They'd been kind of forgotten terrific wrestlers for the previous years in their careers and then in their senior years put it all together.  

Mark Hall getting a Valencia-free run at nationals, healthy Kemerer getting a rematch against him.  

Joseph, Pletcher, Moore, and Hall all seniors so don't get a covid year, just like that their careers are over.

Sebastian Rivera taking his shot at a title while healthy and not exhausted from cutting to 125 and having just put his stamp on an incredibly tough weight class at Big Tens with high-scoring wins over past and future NCAA champs Gross and RBY. 

And would the usual Penn State rules apply--losses in the Big Ten Final avenged two weeks later (RBY/Nick Lee/Joseph)?

• Fire 1