• Playwire Ad Area

What happens next year for Cornell Seniors?

feet2back

Prett sure Vito, Foca, Cardenas and Fernandez have eligibility left but won't be able to compete in Ivy League next year? Am I wrong about that? 

If those guys are free agents next year, those guys are going to get paid! 

6 minutes ago, feet2back said:

Prett sure Vito, Foca, Cardenas and Fernandez have eligibility left but won't be able to compete in Ivy League next year? Am I wrong about that? 

does that mean they can't compete at EIWAs or just in ivy dual meets?

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

18 minutes ago, feet2back said:

honestly nobody really knows where anyone stands with their classes. we know when they started, we know what class they are listed with on the roster... and we never know what it means with respect to graduation.

34 minutes ago, feet2back said:

Vito has no eligibility left anywhere.  He's gone 4-3-1 at NCAAs.

Foca, Cardenas, and Fernandes each have a year of NCAA eligibility left.  They also have a year of Ivy eligibility left, as long as they don't graduate before next year.  If they do graduate, they can use that eligibility at a school that allows for graduate student athletes.

Ramirez came in with the above three, but is listed as a junior.  The guess would be that he sat out at least one semester more than did the other three, who are listed as seniors.  The COVID year in which the Ivy League cancelled all sports caused these guys to decide to remain enrolled or not.

I would be really annoyed if Fernandes doesn't get AA this year, transfers, and gets AA somewhere else.  IYKY.

4 minutes ago, BigRedFan said:

Vito has no eligibility left anywhere.  He's gone 4-3-1 at NCAAs.

Foca, Cardenas, and Fernandes each have a year of NCAA eligibility left.  They also have a year of Ivy eligibility left, as long as they don't graduate before next year.  If they do graduate, they can use that eligibility at a school that allows for graduate student athletes.

Ramirez came in with the above three, but is listed as a junior.  The guess would be that he sat out at least one semester more than did the other three, who are listed as seniors.  The COVID year in which the Ivy League cancelled all sports caused these guys to decide to remain enrolled or not.

I would be really annoyed if Fernandes doesn't get AA this year, transfers, and gets AA somewhere else.  IYKY.

Wasn’t his 3rd place from 21 the ‘free’ year? So he would still have another?

11 minutes ago, D3UC157 said:

Wasn’t his 3rd place from 21 the ‘free’ year? So he would still have another?

The Ivy League didn't compete the "free year," so, no.

2018:  grey shirt

2019:  4th as freshman

2020:  Olympic RS (not enrolled)

2021:  COVID-cancelled Ivy League (also not enrolled)

2022:  3rd as sophomore

2023:  1st as junior

2024:  TBD

2025:  N/A

• Fire 2

Senior Day is always a fun event - waiting to see which of the wrestlers listed on the roster as "seniors" are actually honored as Seniors.  Those not named in the ceremony usually have a semester or so left on their "Ivy Clock".

Not that I have any inside info, but I think I saw somewhere on the Cornell forum that Foca has another year - whether that means at Cornell, or just generally, I couldn't say.

Edited by Red Blades

Fernandes was the only one listed on the Cornell roster in 2020-21.  So right there that suggests that if any of them move on, he's the one.

Cardenas entered the NCAA transfer portal, as a graduate student, on August 21.  So right there that suggests that if, yada, yada.

Ramirez is, as BigRedFan posted, the only one of the four listed as a junior on the current Cornell roster.  So right there that suggests that if any of them stay another year, he's the one.

Now that those situations have been straightened out, what happens with Foca is anyone's guess.

Edited by jdalu75
rewording

1 hour ago, jdalu75 said:

Fernandes was the only one listed on the Cornell roster in 2020-21.  So right there that suggests that if any of them move on, he's the one.

Cardenas entered the NCAA transfer portal, as a graduate student, on August 21.  So right there that suggests that if, yada, yada.

Ramirez is, as BigRedFan posted, the only one of the four listed as a junior on the current Cornell roster.  So right there that suggests that if any of them stay another year, he's the one.

Now that those situations have been straightened out, what happens with Foca is anyone's guess.

3 hours ago, feet2back said:

Cardenas and Fernandes will be graduate transfers somewhere else next season ( probably Michigan where they will compete in like 5 duals meets and make 6 figures) 

Ramierz will be back and I believe foca is up in the air , he can graduate by the summer and transfer or he can wait til next season but he may have to sit out the 1st semester of next year to stay at Cornell 

1 hour ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Cardenas and Fernandes will be graduate transfers somewhere else next season ( probably Michigan where they will compete in like 5 duals meets and make 6 figures) 

Why wouldn't they do what pretty much every former Cornell wrestler I've met and go into finance for a major bank in NYC and make 3 to 4x that amount?

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

12 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

Why wouldn't they do what pretty much every former Cornell wrestler I've met and go into finance for a major bank in NYC and make 3 to 4x that amount?

Fernandes, for one, is an actual farmer (he grew up on his family farm in NJ), so, no.  Cardenas and Foca are in the Architecture, Art, & Planning College, so not likely there, either.

5 minutes ago, BigRedFan said:

Fernandes, for one, is an actual farmer (he grew up on his family farm in NJ), so, no.  Cardenas and Foca are in the Architecture, Art, & Planning College, so not likely there, either.

None of the fellas I met had a finance degree.  

On 1/29/2024 at 4:50 PM, PortaJohn said:

None of the fellas I met had a finance degree.  

Those guys are "on" the team but not actually putting up points at NCAAs....Or maybe they are the ones who were on the team before Cornell got really good.  The elite guys from the past couple decades are mainly coaching, training for the Olympics, or spouting conspiracy theories on twitter/fox news. Nothing wrong with any of that, and honestly probably a more enjoyable career than working in finance.  

9 hours ago, billyhoyle said:

Those guys are "on" the team but not actually putting up points at NCAAs....Or maybe they are the ones who were on the team before Cornell got really good.  The elite guys from the past couple decades are mainly coaching, training for the Olympics, or spouting conspiracy theories on twitter/fox news. Nothing wrong with any of that, and honestly probably a more enjoyable career than working in finance.  

Those fellas were on the team, darn good wrestlers, and Cornell was really good at the time.  But, my point had more to do with graduating with a Cornell degree which gives you far better options to make a salary that far exceeds what you would get in a NIL deal as a post grad somewhere else

On 1/29/2024 at 3:21 PM, feet2back said:

How much are teams willing to pay? Even if 1 team gets 3/4 from Cornell (Highly unlikely) they still wouldn't catch Penn St. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2024 at 4:44 PM, jdalu75 said:

Went to the Cornell-Princeton dual tonight.  Spoke to the main guy in "Foca's Army," who indicated that Foca will be deferring a semester in order to wrestle for Cornell next year.  Yee-haw!

Cardenas is moving on, as we all know.  The above guy said that he's getting lots of offers, and is looking at Michigan.

Fernandes told me this is his last year, and next year he'll be working in finance in NYC (not being a farmer any more!).

So like Shapiro/Ramirez/Ruiz/Foca in the middle of the lineup.