• Playwire Ad Area

What happened to Northwestern?

10 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Title IX considerations are fair.  But at minimum, I’d think that whatever tuition someone is paying over the average should be considered “revenue”

It's all a bit of a mystery - unless we accept the obvious answer - it's just not that important to the schools/alums. When I was at NU most of the students didn't know we had a wrestling team. And we were pretty good - multiple AAs, top 10-15 finishes. Probably the best mens sports team at the school, but no one cared. Judging by the attendance I have seen at home matches, nothing has changed.

Edited by Major Kong
punctuation

1 hour ago, wrestle87 said:

he NW team has never had THAT much pull with the school.  Anytime you hear coaches go with the "compete and get a great education" line, that is code for "I don't really have that much pull with administration, so we get who we can, but don't expect the world from us."

This is a great point, it was rumored that a couple of their big recruits that decommitted (Beard, Cassioppi) was related to admissions. 

38 minutes ago, Gantry said:

This is a great point, it was rumored that a couple of their big recruits that decommitted (Beard, Cassioppi) was related to admissions. 

This is also a school who kicked out a national champ because his grades slipped after his sister and best friend both tragically in a short time span 

• Fire 1

24 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

This is also a school who kicked out a national champ because his grades slipped after his sister and best friend both tragically in a short time span 

I heard it somewhat differently, but it was a bad situation all around.

42 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

16 minutes ago, Major Kong said:

I heard it somewhat differently, but it was a bad situation all around.

Yeah, however it went down, it's a school that expects its athletes to toe a certain line and to blend in with the non-sport playing crowd as much as possible.  Rather than elevating their status on campus, it sounds more like they behave like the non-Cornell Ivies, putting an asterisk on their athletes' files, requiring that they be on their best behavior or else, bc they aren't the 100% library crew.

Edited by wrestle87

Just now, wrestle87 said:

Yeah, however it went down, it's a school that expects its athletes to toe a certain line and to blend in with the non-sport playing crowd as much as possible.  Rather than elevating their status on campus, it sounds more like they behave like the non-Cornell Ivies, putting an asterisk on their athletes' files, requiring that they be on their best behavior or else, bc they aren't the 100% library crew.

No that's not the case. Although I have plenty of criticisms of the school, they don't have an anti-athlete bias. They just expect them to meet minimum academic requirements like the rest of the students.

3 hours ago, 1032004 said:

But why not let more kids on the team as long as they meet all the academic requirements?

The academic requirements there are insane. One time I was out partying I ran into some wrestlers from the top wrestling private school in the area in that era and we had both had several drinks and they said "I thought Iwas a good student then I came here. It's so hard and I barely met the requirements and it's killing me." I'm not surprised, one year I got a 99 in STATS and received a B+. One semester I did everything possible to get A's and I got 4 A-'s. One year I took the easiest Sociology class, wrote a 16 page essay for the final exam in one hour and got an A-. That school is hard and grade deflates like crazy. One quarter as an experiment I stayed in every Friday night and I got an A in Physics. It's what's required to get an A in a course. That may be the only A I got in a science course there. The experiment was over and I never stayed inside every week on a Friday again.

Edited by jmoney
  • Fire 1