• Playwire Ad Area

Wisconsin to D2

Mojo44

16 minutes ago, JimmyBT said:

Against a different line up.  

Real question: what team has put out the exact same lineup for every dual this year? I get yr point, and I get the schtick, but the match is the match—the rest is imagination, a platonic ideal that exists in systems like wrestlestat, not on the Resilite. 

17 minutes ago, strange_daze said:

Real question: what team has put out the exact same lineup for every dual this year? I get yr point, and I get the schtick, but the match is the match—the rest is imagination, a platonic ideal that exists in systems like wrestlestat, not on the Resilite. 

It started with someone saying (paraphrasing) the big ten is down. Ohio st barley beat Michigan and Michigan was handled by SDSU.  I’m just doing the stupid drill that they did but can’t see it.  You know apples to door knobs comparisons.  The big ten is down because sdsu handled half of Michigans back up roster. Babahahahhahhaha. 

Edited by JimmyBT

Michigan is not looking good this year.  1/2 the lineup is imports who have one year left, and they really don’t have the time in the room to blend with the team in the same way.  That, and after 6 years in a college room, most of them are are worn out with plywood joints bead together by duct tape.  It’s just what that much wrestling does to a body.

Austin Gomez is fun to watch, but he has never had a clean style that works well in tournaments, he just falls on his own lat drop sword too often.  

And the other guys are performing with intense mediocrity.  Amine is very likely hurt, I’d say maybe even done for the year given how he got wiped by mesenbrink and all of a sudden mantanona appears.  Griffith puts together 3-2 matches, and davison, as much as I want him to do well, looks less fired up this year.  Something happens with the grad transfer for money route.  It is not as successful as we would all imagine.

• Fire 3

2 hours ago, wrestle87 said:

Michigan is not looking good this year.  1/2 the lineup is imports who have one year left, and they really don’t have the time in the room to blend with the team in the same way.  That, and after 6 years in a college room, most of them are are worn out with plywood joints bead together by duct tape.  It’s just what that much wrestling does to a body.

Austin Gomez is fun to watch, but he has never had a clean style that works well in tournaments, he just falls on his own lat drop sword too often.  

And the other guys are performing with intense mediocrity.  Amine is very likely hurt, I’d say maybe even done for the year given how he got wiped by mesenbrink and all of a sudden mantanona appears.  Griffith puts together 3-2 matches, and davison, as much as I want him to do well, looks less fired up this year.  Something happens with the grad transfer for money route.  It is not as successful as we would all imagine.

Ya it sucks to have all the all Americans. 

10 minutes ago, JimmyBT said:

Ya it sucks to have all the all Americans. 

They're only useful to Michigan if they bring in AA's this year.  

Kyle Conel was a great wrestler for Kent State that one year......remind me again how that went at Penn State?

• Fire 1

How many guys would Askren steal in the transfer portal if Wisconsin fired Bono and took him?  A team full of his AWA guys plus recruiting easily win a trophy.  Big mistake by the Wisconsin AD by passing him over IMO

9 hours ago, ionel said:

Cleaning toilets. 

Nah.  I have had a few wrestlers end up going to MSU.  I wanted to go there, myself, but 'ended up' at Michigan.

Honestly looking at what Sparty is doing this year with what they have to work with and they are getting the most out of the least in relative terms.  Their room would be less than par in the MAC, imho.  The coaching staff is doing a helluva job.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

41 minutes ago, Cowboy08 said:

How many guys would Askren steal in the transfer portal if Wisconsin fired Bono and took him?  A team full of his AWA guys plus recruiting easily win a trophy.  Big mistake by the Wisconsin AD by passing him over IMO

Does anyone actually think Askren would get out of AWA to take over UW? They have a cash cow; I think Bono makes around 250k, I don't know if that would be financially the best move for him. 

Bono is nothing more than a glorified Hype Man, he has not developed anyone since arriving. I can't pinpoint a single wrestler that he elevated.  His biggest accomplishment, mat side seats at home duals 🙄

I love Reader, but this coaching staff is no better than what they had with Barry Davis. 

3 minutes ago, HungusMungus said:

Does anyone actually think Askren would get out of AWA to take over UW? They have a cash cow; I think Bono makes around 250k, I don't know if that would be financially the best move for him. 

Bono is nothing more than a glorified Hype Man, he has not developed anyone since arriving. I can't pinpoint a single wrestler that he elevated.  His biggest accomplishment, mat side seats at home duals 🙄

I love Reader, but this coaching staff is no better than what they had with Barry Davis. 

It's actually worse than what they had with Davis.  They were consistently beating a consistently better Sparty team with Davis, weren't they?

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

It's actually worse than what they had with Davis.  They were consistently beating a consistently better Sparty team with Davis, weren't they?

I would agree, at this point, I think Barry had a few National Champions and could compete, not getting blown out by lesser teams. 

7 hours ago, wrestle87 said:

They're only useful to Michigan if they bring in AA's this year.  

Kyle Conel was a great wrestler for Kent State that one year......remind me again how that went at Penn State?

I’m guessing there will be at least two of them this year

Edited by JimmyBT

43 minutes ago, HungusMungus said:

I would agree, at this point, I think Barry had a few National Champions and could compete, not getting blown out by lesser teams. 

There were ups and downs with Barry Davis.  He had some really good teams and some really bad teams.  They lost to D3 UW-LaCrosse and also won a team trophy at NCAA's during his tenure.

Edited by jchapman
  • Fire 1

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

2 hours ago, HungusMungus said:

YIKES! Bono makes that much?! Holy Toledo Batman 

• Fire 1

6 hours ago, JimmyBT said:

I’m guessing there will be at least two of them this year

I'd agree, maybe even a bit higher, but considering that a full 50% of their lineup is mercenaries this year, that's a pretty low rate of return considering the goodwill that also burns with your team.  Michigan is good and is fun when they are good.  Watching them wrestle this year they really have the personality of a frankenstein team, I just don't see the cohesion with them that they've had in years past when all their guys were lifers who grew within the program.

I think this is the main that NIL and the transfer portal pose to teams, too many transplants mess up team chemistry, which hinders development in the younger guys.

19 minutes ago, wrestle87 said:

I'd agree, maybe even a bit higher, but considering that a full 50% of their lineup is mercenaries this year, that's a pretty low rate of return considering the goodwill that also burns with your team.  Michigan is good and is fun when they are good.  Watching them wrestle this year they really have the personality of a frankenstein team, I just don't see the cohesion with them that they've had in years past when all their guys were lifers who grew within the program.

I think this is the main that NIL and the transfer portal pose to teams, too many transplants mess up team chemistry, which hinders development in the younger guys.

If Wiscy moves down to D3, then Bono can develop the younger guys.