• Playwire Ad Area

Wisconsin to D2

Mojo44

1 hour ago, wrestle87 said:

I'd agree, maybe even a bit higher, but considering that a full 50% of their lineup is mercenaries this year, that's a pretty low rate of return considering the goodwill that also burns with your team.  Michigan is good and is fun when they are good.  Watching them wrestle this year they really have the personality of a frankenstein team, I just don't see the cohesion with them that they've had in years past when all their guys were lifers who grew within the program.

I think this is the main that NIL and the transfer portal pose to teams, too many transplants mess up team chemistry, which hinders development in the younger guys.

The chemistry at Iowa seems to be fine.  40 - 50% of their starters are transfers and  outside of franek it’s for more than one year. 
Teske, Woods, Franek, Caliendo and Voinovich are all transfers. 

45 minutes ago, ionel said:

I worry about their forum poster support. 🥴

Me too.  I wonder what they think of my comments. I’m guessing they’re smart enough to understand. 

Edited by JimmyBT

12 hours ago, Cowboy08 said:

How many guys would Askren steal in the transfer portal if Wisconsin fired Bono and took him?  A team full of his AWA guys plus recruiting easily win a trophy.  Big mistake by the Wisconsin AD by passing him over IMO

I would think a lot of guys would either think about transferring or he might get a lot of young guys to flip their commitments. I think so many guys would want to come home where their parents/families could see them in person, but instead of transfers I'd love to see Millard, and the Mirasolas at UW. 

11 hours ago, HungusMungus said:

Does anyone actually think Askren would get out of AWA to take over UW? They have a cash cow; I think Bono makes around 250k, I don't know if that would be financially the best move for him. 

Bono is nothing more than a glorified Hype Man, he has not developed anyone since arriving. I can't pinpoint a single wrestler that he elevated.  His biggest accomplishment, mat side seats at home duals 🙄

I love Reader, but this coaching staff is no better than what they had with Barry Davis. 

I believe Ben has publicly said that if he was to ever coach it would only be for UW. Things could've changed since his comments, but at this point the Badger AD needs to move on from Bono because he is just a middle aged hype man that can't develop any wrestlers beyond what they were when they arrived on campus 

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, JimmyBT said:

The chemistry at Iowa seems to be fine.  40 - 50% of their starters are transfers and  outside of franek it’s for more than one year. 
Teske, Woods, Franek, Caliendo and Voinovich are all transfers. 

True, but I don’t think there’s another room in the world that can do what the Iowa room does in terms of turning transfers into Iowa guys.

It’s also self-selecting.  When guys go to Iowa, the all slowly turn into larger versions of Tom and Terry, you can watch and hear it in the way they talk.

When a wrestler chooses Iowa, they also know what they are signing up for. It’s not going to be fun, and that is what those guys want.  Everyone is there for the ride and the experience to be able say for the rest of their life “yeah, I did that.”

Michigan has a great room and Bormet is a good coach, but he doesn’t have the personality and charisma to wipe the proverbial slate clean for whoever shows up.

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, wrestle87 said:

When a wrestler chooses Iowa, they also know what they are signing up for. It’s not going to be fun, and that is what those guys want.  Everyone is there for the ride and the experience to be able say for the rest of their life “yeah, I did that.”

I believe that to be, well put...💪

12 hours ago, wrestle87 said:

True, but I don’t think there’s another room in the world that can do what the Iowa room does in terms of turning transfers into Iowa guys.

It’s also self-selecting.  When guys go to Iowa, the all slowly turn into larger versions of Tom and Terry, you can watch and hear it in the way they talk.

Michigan has a great room and Bormet is a good coach, but he doesn’t have the personality and charisma to wipe the proverbial slate clean for whoever shows up.

I “Think” I’m pretty sure Penn St can (does) do it.  And the coach there doesn’t have much of a personality at all.  Nagao, Meesnebrink, Truax, Kirk all seem to be doing fine on the best team in college wrestling.  You can tell during their interviews that they’re Penn st guys.  

Edited by JimmyBT

3 hours ago, JimmyBT said:

I “Think” I’m pretty sure Penn St can (does) do it.  And the coach there doesn’t have much of a personality at all.  Nagao, Meesnebrink, Truax, Kirk all seem to be doing fine on the best team in college wrestling.  You can tell during their interviews that they’re Penn st guys.  

All extremely correct.  I did not know that Mesenbrink transferred in, and had completely forgotten about Nagao and Kirk.