• Playwire Ad Area

MACtion in Mat Town on Thursday Night

Brandon Wittenberg, transfer from Virginia Tech faces off against Gable Strickland at 133.

Deep eye poke impacts Strickland early.  Wittenberg apologizes and we are back in action.  
Both guys feel each other out as they lock up an we get into quite the scramble after Wittenberg gets into Strickland's legs.  Close to a takedown for Wittenberg, but Strickland wriggles lose, and gets higher ground for an advantage position of his own.  Ref finally calls stalemate. 

0-0 going into the 2nd

Let em up, take em down.  Let em up.  It's 15-4 in the 2nd.  Another takedown makes it 18-4.  Continues to stalk Higley.  Easily gets another takedown after a release and Henson wins 21-5 2nd period tech fall.  That is his 7th tech fall in a row.  14-0 in favor of Lock Haven after three matches

Connor Eck putting it on freshman JT Chance who wrestles in place of ranked DJ McGee.  15-2 after the 1st.

Chance gets a takedown in the 2nd bringing the score back to 15-5.  Chance looks tough on top and gets a stall call on Eck as he buries him into the mat. Another stall on Eck and we have 15-6.  

Chance gets another takedown in the third and now its 15-9!

Third stall on Eck and its 15-10.  Chance had an amazing comeback, but while its not enough, he avoided bonus.  23-0 for Lock Haven

2 minutes ago, FanOfPurdueWrestling said:

What is Mat Town?

Mat Town Wrestling Club is the name of the regional training center based in Lock Haven.  They also host tournaments called Mat Town Open so I guess they gave that nickname to themselves

• Fire 1

27 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

Lock Haven has long been known at Mat Town. I'm going to see what Tom Elling knows about the origin.

"Mat Town USA" ...it goes way back, their enormous camps in the 90s carried that name, and they hosted some premiere-ish tournaments named Mat Town during Carl Poff's run. There was some really solid years. Back then psu starters were in the field, and not dominant (actually just not very good).

Thomas Field house would actually sellout for the bigger duals up until Poff retired.  Unfortunely, like many programs, it will never be the same.

Scott Moore is doing a great job. 

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, flyingcement said:

Malachai Duvall of George Mason defeats Colin Fegley to bring their series against one another to a 2-2 draw.  26-6 Lock Haven

Thanks for the updates, even though my Alma mater got beat pretty bad…

Edited by TampaRyley
  • Fire 1

On 1/25/2024 at 10:52 PM, gimpeltf said:

So far, I've got answers of it being called Mat Town back to the early 70s.

Looks like late 60s- ~68 when it became a thing. I think someone a little earlier suggested it.