• Playwire Ad Area

Allocations Ncaas

There are several wrestlers that aren't going to have many matches going into conference weekend. Is the rule you must have 15 matches? Or you must wrestle your way in to Ncaas? I believe that means it'll take away alot spots out of each weight class that will  qualify for ncaas. 

1 minute ago, Corby said:

15 for a RPI. You need 8 for the coaches poll (and 1 in the last 30 days). The other is a .700 winning %. You need 2 of the 3 to allocate 

So with all these penn state guys not having alot of matches. Isn't that going to take a lot of spots away from the big 10?

1 minute ago, jajensen09 said:

So with all these penn state guys not having alot of matches. Isn't that going to take a lot of spots away from the big 10?

No. They will have enough for 2 of 3 categories (coaches' poll, winning %) which is all you need to earn the conference an allocation.

• Fire 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

2 minutes ago, jajensen09 said:

So you think in another 5 weeks there will still be a lot of PSU guys with less than 8 matches and less than a .700 win pct? 

• Fire 1

Fifteen required for an RPI (must be against D1 competition).  Coaches' Rank and Win Pct will earn an allocation for the B1G, but the lack of an RPI will negatively impact someone when applying the formula for seeding criteria.  Example being Brooks as a #3 last year.

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, lu_alum said:

Fifteen required for an RPI (must be against D1 competition).  Coaches' Rank and Win Pct will earn an allocation for the B1G, but the lack of an RPI will negatively impact someone when applying the formula for seeding criteria.  Example being Brooks as a #3 last year.

Right. On Flo they were mentioning Brooks won't hit that match mark this year.

1 minute ago, lu_alum said:

Which we will undoubtedly have 9 threads of people complaining about seeds who don't understand.... much like the first coaches poll. 

• Fire 1

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

7 minutes ago, jajensen09 said:

No I don't. I thought the mark was 16 not 8

You quoted Corby’s excellent explanation while posing the question. You were literally told 2 min before you asked the question that 16 was not necessary. I guess I don’t understand why. 

Edited by Tigerfan
  • Fire 2

2 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

Wondering what flo was referring to when it will take spots away? Were they talking about Penn state or other wrestlers. You look at heavyweight, if Krueter and Hutmacher wrestle big 10s, that could take 2 heavyweight spots away from the big 10

Thanks, @lu_alum for posting these.

One thing to note is that for pre-allocation purposes the magic date is Feb. 23. Matches after Feb. 23 are not taken into account for conference allocations, though they are taken into account for seeding purposes.

One more thing to note is that the thresholds for the pre-allocation categories are not fixed. They can slide up or down in concert in order to achieve a desired range for pre-allocations per weight, with the max being 29.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

1 hour ago, jajensen09 said:

Wondering what flo was referring to when it will take spots away? Were they talking about Penn state or other wrestlers. You look at heavyweight, if Krueter and Hutmacher wrestle big 10s, that could take 2 heavyweight spots away from the big 10

Are we sure Hutmacher is a NQ level wrestler at this point?  

5 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Thanks, @lu_alum for posting these.

One thing to note is that for pre-allocation purposes the magic date is Feb. 23. Matches after Feb. 23 are not taken into account for conference allocations, though they are taken into account for seeding purposes.

One more thing to note is that the thresholds for the pre-allocation categories are not fixed. They can slide up or down in concert in order to achieve a desired range for pre-allocations per weight, with the max being 29.

It appears that the "magic date" has shifted since the Pre-Championships Manual was published in September.  According the an update published on 2-Jan, all matches through 25-Feb count toward conference allocations.  See page 2 of the linked file:

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/championships/sports/wrestling/d1/men/2023-24D1MWR_QualifierAllocationCriteria.pdf

image.png.ad47a322c8489a63862e9b17b7908451.png

• Fire 1

For those who are interested, here is the site from where I am pulling all of this NCAA information:

https://www.ncaa.org/sports/2013/10/23/division-i-wrestling.aspx

* the 'Selection Process' file I shared earlier was from 2019.  The link for the 2023-24 version is below.

Contents are as follows:

Championship Information

Manuals

Links and Resources

Edited by lu_alum
  • Fire 3

1 hour ago, lu_alum said:

It appears that the "magic date" has shifted since the Pre-Championships Manual was published in September.  According the an update published on 2-Jan, all matches through 25-Feb count toward conference allocations.  See page 2 of the linked file:

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/championships/sports/wrestling/d1/men/2023-24D1MWR_QualifierAllocationCriteria.pdf

image.png.ad47a322c8489a63862e9b17b7908451.png

NCAA is later this year March 21-23

1 hour ago, Corby said:

NCAA is later this year March 21-23

They only adjusted it by two days, changing the end date from a Friday to a Sunday.  They obviously caught the error in the Pre-Championships Guide and corrected it in the 2-Jan update to the Qualifier Allocation Criteria.

As for NCAA being "later this year", I believe the championships typically begin on the 3rd Thursday of March.

1 hour ago, lu_alum said:

They only adjusted it by two days, changing the end date from a Friday to a Sunday.  They obviously caught the error in the Pre-Championships Guide and corrected it in the 2-Jan update to the Qualifier Allocation Criteria.

As for NCAA being "later this year", I believe the championships typically begin on the 3rd Thursday of March.

It's definitely the way the calendar fell this year . I always say its late when it's after Paddy's day although like you said it's still the 3rd Thursday