• Playwire Ad Area

What Non-D1 Programs Would Find Success in D1?

There are collegiate programs on all levels who dominate year in and out, and I’m curious to know which of them you think would at least get some All-Americans or a top 10-15 finish in the Division I Championships? Below is a partial list of the top programs in each division.

Top D2

• St. Cloud State
  • Central Oklahoma
  • Indianapolis
  • Nebraska-Kearney
  • Tiffin
  • UW-Parkside

Top D3

• Wartburg
  • Augsburg
  • Wabash
  • Mount Union
  • Baldwin Wallace

Top NAIA

• Grand View
  • Life
  • Lindsey Wilson
  • Cumberlands

A lot of these programs have been home to national champions and All-Americans who’ve defeated their Division I competition and have also been led by coaches who were former Division I standouts (First that comes to mind is Chris Fleeger’s tenure at Cumberlands), and some former athletes have gone on to domestic and international freestyle success (Tervel Dlagnev, Nazar Kulchytskyy, Riley Lefever, Brandon Wright). What are some programs you think would perform well right now?

• Fire 1

I am unsure about even an AA.

I took a quick look at the #1 ranked wrestlers in D2 at each weight. They have very few matches against D1 comp, but even when they do the results are not great. They typically wrestle non-starters and typically do not win. Most of the wins come against guys ranked in the 100 to 300 range on wrestlestat.

The one notable win I found was Ty McGeary, the West Liberty 184, with a 14-4 MD over Clarion's Cameron Pine, who is ranked 33 in D1.

• Fire 3

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

Even if just a handful, there are always a few who I am convinced would AA.  

Christian Guzman of North Central is one this year.  Even his backup Evan Spacht is an incredible wrestler - so they have great room competition at the weight to keep both guys sharp.  

Last year there was the guy from Wisconsin-Whitewater - Jarritt Shinhoster

• Fire 1

30 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

Even if just a handful, there are always a few who I am convinced would AA.  

Christian Guzman of North Central is one this year.  Even his backup Evan Spacht is an incredible wrestler - so they have great room competition at the weight to keep both guys sharp.  

Last year there was the guy from Wisconsin-Whitewater - Jarritt Shinhoster

Guzman got teched by Jacob Moran and Max Gallagher at Midlands.

I know he was mentioned elsewhere but Joziah Fry has some decent wins (and also teched the aforementioned Guzman), but still has losses to guys like Spencer Moore so would probably be a longshot to AA. 

I think there are probably 1 or 2 guys in all of D1 and D2 that might AA.  Which is still impressive.

10 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Guzman got teched by Jacob Moran and Max Gallagher at Midlands.

I know he was mentioned elsewhere but Joziah Fry has some decent wins (and also teched the aforementioned Guzman), but still has losses to guys like Spencer Moore so would probably be a longshot to AA. 

I think there are probably 1 or 2 guys in all of D1 and D2 that might AA.  Which is still impressive.

Fair point - and according to wrestlestat, both Moran and Gallagher teched him twice on the same day by the same score 🤨

But Shinhoster was legit

It’s a different level of commitment and competition in the practice room also at D2-D3-NAIA. I’m sure if you took those top guys and stuck them in a room with the same level of athletes you find at a D1 institute the D2-D3-NAIA top level guys would get a lot better. Iron sharpens iron. 

• Fire 1

19 minutes ago, JimmyBT said:

Tyler Wells of Minnesota was on the St. Cloud St roster until right before the school year started.  He has stepped in as a True Freshman to be the starter at 133 and is doing quite well. 

He was committed, but never enrolled and never on the roster. 

• Fire 1

Insert catchy tagline here. 

20 minutes ago, JimmyBT said:

Ok you’re right.  He was going to St Cloud St right to when the school year started.  
🤦‍♂️ 

But he was a 4x state champ right?  Not too many 4x champs especially from decent wrestling states that go D2 or D3 right out of HS, although some go later 

• Fire 2

10 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

But he was a 4x state champ right?  Not too many 4x champs especially from decent wrestling states that go D2 or D3 right out of HS, although some go later 

That many times depends on the class level in high school. Many states have 3 classes with the completion at the small small schools being limited.  

42 minutes ago, JimmyBT said:

That many times depends on the class level in high school. Many states have 3 classes with the completion at the small small schools being limited.  

That’s why I added “from decent wrestling states.”  Isn’t Wells from Minnesota?

3 hours ago, 1032004 said:

That’s why I added “from decent wrestling states.”  Isn’t Wells from Minnesota?

He was until a certain 133 ponder found god at Penn State 

Edited by JimmyBT

2 minutes ago, JimmyBT said:

WHO said he didn’t???? 

I said I used the qualifier that you don’t usually see 4x state champs from decent wrestling states (of which I’d include Minnesota) go D2 or D3 right out of HS.  Did a very brief search and can’t seem to find the list of names, but I believe it’s a single digit list for Minnesota.  Have any of them gone D2 or D3 out of HS?

6 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I said I used the qualifier that you don’t usually see 4x state champs from decent wrestling states (of which I’d include Minnesota) go D2 or D3 right out of HS.  Did a very brief search and can’t seem to find the list of names, but I believe it’s a single digit list for Minnesota.  Have any of them gone D2 or D3 out of HS?

And I said he’d be at St Cloud State still if NAgo hadn’t left for Penn st 

6 minutes ago, JimmyBT said:

And I said he’d be at St Cloud State still if NAgo hadn’t left for Penn st 

If that were true, my point is that’s very rare.

Is it true though?  If Wells redshirted then Nagao would only have 2 years left

Edited by 1032004

1 minute ago, 1032004 said:

He’s starting as a freshman now.  In your scenario he wouldn’t until his jr year. 

2 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

You make it sound like you’re going out on a limb to make that point.  Of course it’s rare. Marcus Lavesseur was a 4x HS Champ that I believe was committed to Minnesota but decided late to attend DIII Augsburg where I believe he played football too.  Won 4 nattys and never lost a match. 

• Fire 1