• Playwire Ad Area

First Coaches Ranking [link]

I believe these rankings were sent in before matches that happened that would have changed them (i.e. Ramos over Ayala). As mentioned, because of results, number of matches, etc. the first two are usually way off. 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

44 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

1) they were turned in last friday and not released until after an enormous batch of results

2) you have to have 8 matches to get ranked

3) the coaches have to designate the correct 'starter' or you can't vote for them.

@Idaho

Edited by MPhillips

Penn State wrestled Michigan State yesterday.  WrestleStat shows Starocci at 6-0, Truax at 7-1, Brooks at 8-0, and Kerkvliet at 7-0.  Eight matches at weight are needed for a CP ranking, so it appears that Truax and Brooks qualify.  So it appears that the coaches didn't vote on rankings in the middle of the night, and Sunday's results (at least) weren't counted.

In previous years the rankings were released on Thursdays; I was surprised to see them this morning.  There's a chance we see revised rankings later in the week.

7 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

https://www.ncaa.com/_flysystem/public-s3/files/24_D1Men_Ranking1_Top33[99].pdf

Penn State only has 4 wrestlers in the ranking and 0 ranked #1.

125 Ayala

131 Crookham

141 Woods

149 Lovett

157 Franek

165 O'Toole

174 Ruth

184 Keckeisen

197 Hidlay

HWT Hendrickson

I would prefer a ranking of the actual coaches. Obviously Cael is best, but the list would be interesting. 

12 hours ago, WrestlingRash said:

I would prefer a ranking of the actual coaches. Obviously Cael is best, but the list would be interesting. 

Career-wise maybe, but strictly this year, up to this point, Cael certainly would not warrant the #1 spot. They started the year projected to annihilate the field, but injuries and lackluster performances in a light schedule with a steadily shrinking projected points doesn’t scream coach of the year. There are several other coaches who appear to be doing much better with less talent. Seems like A-LR, Navy, OkSt, and a few others are exceeding expectations rather than diminishing them. 

19 hours ago, Hammerlock3 said:

idk thats what i'm asking. Right not you could have any three random forum contributors could do better.

They do count for seeding, so yes they matter.  But I don’t understand why they won’t just use one of the services or at least aggregate them.

I may be misremembering, but wasn’t there something last year where a coach left RBY off the rankings even though he was eligible?

29 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

They do count for seeding, so yes they matter.  But I don’t understand why they won’t just use one of the services or at least aggregate them.

I may be misremembering, but wasn’t there something last year where a coach left RBY off the rankings even though he was eligible?

You are not mis-remembering. Two coaches left him off. The story from the NCAA was that they were using an old list, or some such. There was someone else who was also affected, though I don't recal who.

It really illustrated that the coaches do not place as high a priority about getting it right for other teams as they do for their own. Which is also an argument for you suggestion of using Intermat, Flo, etc.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge