• Playwire Ad Area

2013-14 Minnesota

This is a team I always think of in the conversation of “best to never win it.” That title could be given to several different teams, but this one belongs in the conversation. They finished the NCAA tournament with seven All-Americans from nine total qualifiers who, combined, scored 104.0 total points. Of the seven All-Americans, two were national finalists: Dylan Ness at 149 and Tony Nelson at Heavyweight. In addition to being named runners-up at the NCAA tournament, they finished the season with a 14-1 overall dual record including wins over Oklahoma State, Penn State, and Iowa, while their lone loss came to Michigan. Tournament wise, they finished third at the Southern Scuffle and secured 8 titles at the Bison Open… Two key memories from this season were Dylan Ness pinning both Dylan Alton and James Green. What are some memories you have of this team?

• Fire 1

I always think of this video.

Also think of Brancale tossing and pinning Gilman. Ness reversing St John to his back is pretty magical as well!

That team is being honored this year at a MN dual. Certainly a team worthy of winning a national title just came up 5 or so points short.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Fire 4

I did some recruiting research on this team because I was interested in seeing what it might take for the Gophers to get back to a championship level team.  The recruit rankings for all are by Intermat:  

125 Sam Brancale (58) DNQ

133 David Thorn (30) 5th, 2xAA

141 Chris Dardanes (69) R12, 3xAA

149 Nick Dardanes (32) 2-2, 1xAA

157 Dylan Ness (26) 2nd, 4xAA

165 Danny Zilverberg (UR) 7th, 1xAA

174 Logan Storley (4) 3rd, 4xAA

184 Kevin Steinhaus (84) 5th, 3xAA

197 Scott Schiller (71) 3rd, 3xAA

285 Tony Nelson (49) 2nd, 4xAA, 2xNC

• Fire 1

6 minutes ago, WrestlingFan89 said:

I did some recruiting research on this team because I was interested in seeing what it might take for the Gophers to get back to a championship level team.  The recruit rankings for all are by Intermat:  

That is amazing

• Fire 2

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

2 hours ago, WrestlingFan89 said:

Some overachievers there, career-wise, based on recruiting rankings.

The Dardanes had a rough NCAA that year, seeded 6 and 2 but did not place. Oddly enough both the twins got knocked out of the tournament by an Edinboro wrestler.

I was crushed when we didn’t win the title that season. We still had our core group for the next season, losing Thorn, Steinhaus and Nelson but returned both Dardanes, Ness, Storley and Schiller. We brought Kroells in who AAs, Brett Pfarr came up short, we pulled Ethan Lizaks redshirt and Jake Short and Nick Wanzek never lived up to what we hoped.

2015 reminded me of the 2008 team that fell short due to mass injury

21 hours ago, blueandgold said:

This is a team I always think of in the conversation of “best to never win it.” That title could be given to several different teams, but this one belongs in the conversation. They finished the NCAA tournament with seven All-Americans from nine total qualifiers who, combined, scored 104.0 total points. Of the seven All-Americans, two were national finalists: Dylan Ness at 149 and Tony Nelson at Heavyweight. In addition to being named runners-up at the NCAA tournament, they finished the season with a 14-1 overall dual record including wins over Oklahoma State, Penn State, and Iowa, while their lone loss came to Michigan. Tournament wise, they finished third at the Southern Scuffle and secured 8 titles at the Bison Open… Two key memories from this season were Dylan Ness pinning both Dylan Alton and James Green. What are some memories you have of this team?

It’s the eight Bison Open titles that convinced me.

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.