• Playwire Ad Area

Michael Beard

Elevator

Now ranked #7, guessing he might move up by NCAA's if he wins out through Easterns. Three other pretty tough guys at 197 in EIWA:  Cardenas - Cornell; Luke Stout - Princeton; and Louie DePrez - Binghamton. So winning Easterns will likley mean at least two tough matches for him.

Might be better off with the 6th or 7th seed as the best chance to make the NCAA finals.  He looks very tough.   Brooks, Hidlay and Buchanan are seniors and he apparently has another year after this one.         

• Fire 3

Beard beat Stout by major, 18-8, at the Princeton Open in November; then tech falled him at Midlands.  Beat DePrez by MD last Friday, 12-1.  Beat Cardenas 10-3 the following afternoon.  The matches will be tougher for the other guys.

• Fire 3

16 minutes ago, FanOfPurdueWrestling said:

Yeah he did get beat by the consensus #2 and only person in the NCAA with a chance to take out Brooks. I don’t see how Elam and Buchanan are above Beard and Hidley. 

1: Brooks

2: Hidlay

3: Beard

He might be wrestling real well right now, but he didn't when it mattered at NCAAs last year.  He failed to place whereas Elam brough homr 3rd.

Elam hasn't lost this year (yet).  Buchanan beat Elam last time they wrestled, so he gets the benefit of the doubt there.

Whereas we might predict Beard beats one and/or both, that is not how rankings work.  Rankings work off actual results not projected results or current momentum.

Beard is 'rated' as #3 by Wrestlestat because it is not a ranking service.

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

His loss on the winner's side last year was to the greco world team rep fwiw*

*It's not worth anything I just wanted to shout out Braunagel and the Illinois program

• Fire 1

i am an idiot on the internet

9 hours ago, nhs67 said:

He might be wrestling real well right now, but he didn't when it mattered at NCAAs last year.  He failed to place whereas Elam brough homr 3rd.

Elam hasn't lost this year (yet).  Buchanan beat Elam last time they wrestled, so he gets the benefit of the doubt there.

Whereas we might predict Beard beats one and/or both, that is not how rankings work.  Rankings work off actual results not projected results or current momentum.

Beard is 'rated' as #3 by Wrestlestat because it is not a ranking service.

I actually didn’t know the background of those guys, thanks for that. I am new to following wrestling this intensely, but Beard is a beast and I hope the best for him. (He beat my ass in HS btw).

• Fire 3

3 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

His loss on the winner's side last year was to the greco world team rep fwiw*

*It's not worth anything I just wanted to shout out Braunagel and the Illinois program

And Braunagel is currently redshirting correct? I heard Illinois is reloading rn and about to put out next year and years after. 

2 minutes ago, FanOfPurdueWrestling said:

And Braunagel is currently redshirting correct? I heard Illinois is reloading rn and about to put out next year and years after. 

Yes redshirting and fingers crossed they show out soon.

If Beard can handle three days of cutting he will be a force at NCAAs. He is a prime example of why a 97kg equivalent weight class should exist at the NCAA level. I think he beats Buchanan at a dual or on Thursday night but Saturday/ Sunday morning is going to be a very different match.

• Fire 2

On 1/21/2024 at 11:49 PM, FanOfPurdueWrestling said:

I actually didn’t know the background of those guys, thanks for that. I am new to following wrestling this intensely, but Beard is a beast and I hope the best for him. (He beat my ass in HS btw).

I find it interesting that after proclaiming you didn’t understand how it was possible for Beard to be ranked behind Elam and Buchanan, you then immediately admit you don’t know any history of those 2, and we’re apparently unaware that Elam has placed 5,4,3 AT THIS WEIGHT, as well as undefeated. 

This has nothing to do with your lack of knowledge, I’m glad you’re getting into it. No shame there, at all. But, what concerns me was your willingness to have such a strong opinion about anything, while almost simultaneously admitting you don’t possess even the most basic relevant facts. I’m gonna guess you’re less than 40 years old and move on. 

Sorry, that sounds preachy or whatever. I just found that exchange interesting, that’s all. 

I should delete this whole post, but wth, no shame in sharing my stream of consciousness in this instance. 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Tigerfan said:

I find it interesting that after proclaiming you didn’t understand how it was possible for Beard to be ranked behind Elam and Buchanan, you then immediately admit you don’t know any history of those 2, and we’re apparently unaware that Elam has placed 5,4,3 AT THIS WEIGHT, as well as undefeated. 

This has nothing to do with your lack of knowledge, I’m glad you’re getting into it. No shame there, at all. But, what concerns me was your willingness to have such a strong opinion about anything, while almost simultaneously admitting you don’t possess even the most basic relevant facts. I’m gonna guess you’re less than 40 years old and move on. 

Sorry, that sounds preachy or whatever. I just found that exchange interesting, that’s all. 

I should delete this whole post, but wth, no shame in sharing my stream of consciousness in this instance. 

Strong guess, considering @FanOfPurdueWrestling states that Beard beat him in HS. 😂

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

3 hours ago, ugarles said:

Beard got gassed at EIWA and then flopped at NCAAs but the tools are very good. If his health/fitness are in form in March he's incredibly dangerous. 

Hard to not gas when you're cutting 30 pounds because there is not a UWW equivalent. But hey, thank goodness for all the little man weights!

3 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Hard to not gas when you're cutting 30 pounds because there is not a UWW equivalent. But hey, thank goodness for all the little man weights!

Braxton Amos agrees.

• Fire 1

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

33 minutes ago, Tigerfan said:

I can promise you the type of person you just described is not at all limited to people younger than 40 years old. 

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, Tigerfan said:

Is everyone under 40 automatically incapable of having an opinion that you respect?

I admitted my ignorance to the topic and didn’t dispute or continue to argue. I had an opinion and state it, learned more from others useful contribution, and now I’m better off for it. 

Don’t be bitter, everything is fine old man. 

2 hours ago, Tigerfan said:

And another thing…. This explains why Beard is below those two, but why is Hidlay? 

15 minutes ago, FanOfPurdueWrestling said:

And another thing…. This explains why Beard is below those two, but why is Hidlay? 

It's just semantics. He won't be after March when he finishes his first season at 197 in the finals against Brooks.

1 hour ago, FanOfPurdueWrestling said:

Hidlay destroyed Beard.

1 hour ago, FanOfPurdueWrestling said:

Is everyone under 40 automatically incapable of having an opinion that you respect?

I admitted my ignorance to the topic and didn’t dispute or continue to argue. I had an opinion and state it, learned more from others useful contribution, and now I’m better off for it. 

Don’t be bitter, everything is fine old man. 

Is an opinion that you admit was ignorant of relevant facts worthy of respect?

Does every person under 40 demand that the rest of us respect their ignorant opinions?

I’m not bitter, just thought it was curious, that’s all  Carry on!

6 minutes ago, FanOfPurdueWrestling said:

I do know that, but why is Hidlay Below Elam and Buchanan 

These are rankings. It’s subjective. Hidlay was at a lower weight last year, where as Elam and Buchanan were always at 197.   They’re all undefeated so the rankers gave Elam and Buchanan the edge because they are returning at same weight where as Hidlay moved up. Brooks moved up as well

id be shocked if it’s not Brooks/Hidlay finals

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, Pish said:

These are rankings. It’s subjective. Hidlay was at a lower weight last year, where as Elam and Buchanan were always at 197.   They’re all undefeated so the rankers gave Elam and Buchanan the edge because they are returning at same weight where as Hidlay moved up. Brooks moved up as well

id be shocked if it’s not Brooks/Hidlay finals

Add in that Hidlay was 4th at the lower weight.  Elam was 3rd at current weight.