• Playwire Ad Area

Best Campaign to Not End with a Title

David Taylor x2 and Jon Trenge x3 for me.  
I would also include Mocco’s freshman year.

Trenge 4x, if you include his Frosh season, when he had a late-season detached retina. Trenge beat the eventual NCAA 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 5th place winners during the season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Fire 1

Poeta losing to the GOAT and Gwiz losing to a GOAT contender belong on this bittersweet Mt. Rushmore but Dan Gable's senior year has to be the pick based on the contemporary and historical resonances. 

• Fire 1

i am an idiot on the internet

Have to go with Dan Gable on this one. Perfection for years only to lose the last match of his College career. A bigger upset than just one season, it was the first loss in his career in folkstyle wrestling. 64-0 in High School. 117-0 in College. The final Title in his grasp to finisih a perfect career.

" Before the match, Gable had recorded a promo for ABC saying, “Hi, I’m Dan Gable. Come watch me as I finish my career 182-0.”

This is Folkstyle where Gable reigned supreme. In Freestyle he had lost five times to Bobby Douglas while trying to make the 1868 Olympic team.

For a year or career in Folkstyle I think Gable is #1 in this one.

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

23 hours ago, AgaveMaria said:

Have to go with Dan Gable on this one. Perfection for years only to lose the last match of his College career. A bigger upset than just one season, it was the first loss in his career in folkstyle wrestling. 64-0 in High School. 117-0 in College. The final Title in his grasp to finisih a perfect career.

" Before the match, Gable had recorded a promo for ABC saying, “Hi, I’m Dan Gable. Come watch me as I finish my career 182-0.”

This is Folkstyle where Gable reigned supreme. In Freestyle he had lost five times to Bobby Douglas while trying to make the 1868 Olympic team.

I'm sad I didn't provide this answer. well done

42 minutes ago, alex1fly said:

Daton Fix's freshman year

He lost to Mickey Phillipi that year who was a 4x R12. Not sure I would include that campaign in the historical greats...

2020 and 2021 Michael Kemerer - lost final match of both years to Hall and Starocci. He beat both during those seasons. 

2023 Spencer Lee - we take it for granted, but he was teching and pinning AA's all year until the upset. I doubt anybody mentioned has a similar season besides DT.

18 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

2020 and 2021 Michael Kemerer - lost final match of both years to Hall and Starocci. He beat both during those seasons. 

2023 Spencer Lee - we take it for granted, but he was teching and pinning AA's all year until the upset. I doubt anybody mentioned has a similar season besides DT.

Gable pinfelled 31 of 33 prior to losing.

• Fire 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

1 minute ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Gable pinfelled 31 of 33 prior to losing.

Nope, Danny PINNED them. Back then no one was a GirlyMan with "pinfalls".

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

2 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

He lost to Mickey Phillipi that year who was a 4x R12. Not sure I would include that campaign in the historical greats...

I meant whichever year he lost to Suriano in the finals. I guess sophomore year.

1 hour ago, alex1fly said:

I meant whichever year he lost to Suriano in the finals. I guess sophomore year.

2019 He lost frosh year to Suriano (and Phillippi)

2021 his best win was DeSanto but nothing historic, lost in finals to RBY

2022 was fine but not historic

2023 he finished 4th

Edited by bnwtwg

On 1/18/2024 at 10:46 AM, AgaveMaria said:

spencer lee

am i wrong in assuming his only losses were last high school match and last college match?

or did he lose to desanto in semis

4 minutes ago, Scouts Honor said:

spencer lee

am i wrong in assuming his only losses were last high school match and last college match?

Lee had college losses, including being pinned at Ok State.

• Fire 1

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

13 minutes ago, Scouts Honor said:

Six college losses.

Two in 2018.

Three in 2019.

One in 2023.

Edited by MPhillips
  • Fire 1

3 hours ago, Scouts Honor said:

spencer lee

I'm going to cry if he makes it to the olympic gold medal match because I already know what's going to happen

• Fire 1

On 1/18/2024 at 8:28 AM, Jason Bryant said:

Tim Kreiger entered each NCAA tournament he wrestled undefeated for that season. Was a four-time #1 seed.

So maybe his freshman or junior seasons as he finished 5-1-2-1

All losses to ACC wrestlers 

• Fire 2