• Playwire Ad Area

2010s Big Ten All-Decade Team vs. 2023 NCAA Champions - Simulation Dual Meet

2010s Big Ten All-Decade Team

• 125: Nathan Tomasello (Ohio State) - 4× Big Ten Champion, 2015 NCAA Champion
  • 133: Tony Ramos (Iowa) - 2014 Big Ten Champion, 2014 NCAA Champion
  • 141: Logan Stieber (Ohio State) - 4× Big Ten Champion, 4× NCAA Champion, 2015 Hodge Trophy
  • 149: Zain Retherford (Penn State) - 3× Big Ten Champion, 3× NCAA Champion, 2× Hodge Trophy
  • 157: Isaiah Martinez (Illinois) - 4× Big Ten Champion, 2× NCAA Champion
  • 165: David Taylor (Penn State) - 4× Big Ten Champion, 2× NCAA Champion, 2× Hodge Trophy
  • 174: Ed Ruth (Penn State) - 4× Big Ten Champion, 3× NCAA Champion
  • 184: Bo Nickal (Penn State) - 3× Big Ten Champion, 3× NCAA Champion, 2019 Hodge Trophy
  • 197: Kollin Moore (Ohio State) - 3× Big Ten Champion, 2019 NCAA Finalist
  • 285: Kyle Snyder (Ohio State) - 3× Big Ten Champion, 3× NCAA Champion

Quick Notes

• Spencer Lee wasn't chosen at 125 due to his dominance being more closely associated with the 2020s decade as he wrestled in 2020, 2021, and 2023 as opposed to 2018 and 2019.
  • 133 was the most inconsistent weight as far as repeat champions go. Stieber was a repeat champion, but he was selected for 141. Ultimately, it came down to Tony Ramos, Cory Clark, and Nick Suriano, and ultimately, I went with Ramos as he won the Big Ten and NCAA titles his senior year; Clark was runner-up in the Big Ten as a senior when he won his NCAA title and Suriano could be considered for the next decade as he won another Big Ten and NCAA Championship in 2022.
  • Isaiah Martinez got the nod at 157 over Jason Nolf for having more Big Ten Championships and a head-to-head win.
  • Ed Ruth got the nod at 174 for having two championships at the weight, same with Bo Nickal at 184.
  • Kollin Moore got the nod at 197 over Morgan McIntosh for being a three-time Big Ten Champion at 197, although both won twice within the decade.

2023 NCAA Champions

• 125: Patrick Glory (Princeton) - 4× All-American, 3× EIWA Champion
  • 133: Vito Arujau (Cornell) - 3× All-American, 2× EIWA Champion
  • 141: Andrew Alirez (Northern Colorado) - 2023 NCAA Champion, 2× Big 12 Champion
  • 149: Yianni Diakomihalis (Cornell) - 4× NCAA Champion, 4× EIWA Champion
  • 157: Austin O'Connor (North Carolina) - 2× NCAA Champion, 3× ACC Champion
  • 165: Keegan O'Toole (Missouri) - 2× NCAA Champion, 2022 Big 12 Champion
  • 174: Carter Starocci (Penn State) - 3× NCAA Champion, 2× Big Ten Champion
  • 184: Aaron Brooks (Penn State) - 3× NCAA Champion, 3× Big Ten Champion
  • 197: Nino Bonaccorsi (Pittsburgh) - 2× All-American, 3× ACC Champion
  • 285: Mason Parris (Michigan) - 4× All-American, 2023 Big Ten Champion

In this hypothetical match-up we'll probably never see, who ya got?

Made these choices assuming every wrestler is wrestling at their best version...

1.) NaTo 

2.) Arujau

3.) Steiber

4.) Zain

5.) iMar

6.) David Taylor

7.) Starocci

8.) Nickal

9.) Kollin Moore

10.) Snyder

"Look good, feel good, wrestle good." - J Jaggers

125: Matt McDonough - 1,2,1 trumps 1,3,3

133: Logan Steiber - only two timer at the weight

141: Yianni Diakomihalis - that he went on to win four gives him the trump card over the other two timers, Dean Heil and Kellan Russell (excluding Steiber because 133)

149: Zain Retherford - obviously

157: Jason Nolf - also obviously. 2,1,1,1 trumps 1,1 even if the second 1 caused Nolf's 2.

165: David Taylor - his international success is hard to ignore even if it did not happen in the 2010's. But, given that it did happen in the 2020's a strong argument exists for he and Vincenzo Joseph tying for the title.

174: Zahid Valencia and Chris Perry - both 3,1,1 too hard to separate, so I didn't. As an aside, Carter Starocci never wrestled a single college match in the 2010's.

184: Bo Nickal - his two titles at 184 and finals win over Gabe Dean trumps Dean's 3,1,1,2.

197 J'Den Cox: Another obviously. 3 titles to Moore's zero titles in the 2010's. There are a bunch of better 197's in the 2010's than Moore (Nickal, Simaz, Kilgore, Gadson, Wright, Varner, Snyder).

285: Kyle Snyder: Captain "Obviously" America.

• Fire 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

2 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

141: Yianni Diakomihalis - that he went on to win four gives him the trump card over the other two timers, Dean Heil and Kellan Russell (excluding Steiber because 133)

157: Jason Nolf - also obviously. 2,1,1,1 trumps 1,1 even if the second 1 caused Nolf's 2.

165: David Taylor - his international success is hard to ignore even if it did not happen in the 2010's. But, given that it did happen in the 2020's a strong argument exists for he and Vincenzo Joseph tying for the title.

174: Zahid Valencia and Chris Perry - both 3,1,1 too hard to separate, so I didn't. As an aside, Carter Starocci never wrestled a single college match in the 2010's.

184: Bo Nickal - his two titles at 184 and finals win over Gabe Dean trumps Dean's 3,1,1,2.

197 J'Den Cox: Another obviously. 3 titles to Moore's zero titles in the 2010's. There are a bunch of better 197's in the 2010's than Moore (Nickal, Simaz, Kilgore, Gadson, Wright, Varner, Snyder).

Nato was 1,3,3,3. Not that it makes a difference 

24 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Did the Big Ten expand again.?

Or are you trying to prove your moniker to be accurate?😉

Check out the thread title 

Just now, Jim L said:

Did the Big Ten expand again.?

Or are you trying to prove your moniker to be accurate?😉

Check out the thread title 

Ha. Every one of us got the thread title wrong. I have non-B1G, the other guys have non-2010 wrestlers. At least we are consistent in our inconsistency.

Or I could say, "hey they didn't stick to the decade, why should I stick to the conference?" But, no, I did not read the thread title carefully is the real issue.

• Fire 2

Do Over

141: Also Logan Steiber - his four timer status trumps Kellan Russell's 7,1,1

174: Mark Hall - his 1,2,2 and sympathy for his stolen 2020 trumps Matt Brown's 2,5,1. And poor Ed Ruth. Only two years at 174 hurts his candidacy. 

184: Bo Nickal - his two titles at 184 and finals win over Gabe Dean trumps Dean's 3,1,1,2. And poor Ed Ruth. Only two...

197 Bo Nickal - yes, there was only a single title at the weight (over Moore, so there is that), but no one from the B1G won more than that. And Nickal's 2019 tournament was more dominant than the others (pinfall, pinfall, major, pinfall, 4 point dec). His season was also more dominant, ending with the Hodge.

• Fire 1

3 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Ha. Every one of us got the thread title wrong. I have non-B1G, the other guys have non-2010 wrestlers. At least we are consistent in our inconsistency.

Or I could say, "hey they didn't stick to the decade, why should I stick to the conference?" But, no, I did not read the thread title carefully is the real issue.

Other interesting note is that the All Decade team is not hat different than the All-Decade Big Ten team, which is not that surprising to me, showing how dominant the Big Ten is

• Fire 1