• Playwire Ad Area

Deepest Runs

On 1/13/2024 at 11:34 AM, Wrestleknownothing said:

Killian Cardinale is clearly the most under rated wrestler of all time.

I agree, but I have skin in the game. One thing that is true about Killian is that he battled injuries for three years AND this is significant bc

1) he did it without much fanfare which

2) makes him like most DI kids. 

Kid was/is an everyman, blue collar hero: most of us busted our ass, wrestled hurt, rolled with the punches. But he just gritted it out for those of us without the skill, slickness, intelligence, grit, and dope coiffure that he had. 

Edited by jackwebster
  • Fire 2

I agree, but I have skin in the game. One thing that is true about Killian is that he battled injuries for three years AND this is significant bc
1) he did it without much fanfare which
2) makes him like most DI kids. 
Kid was/is an everyman, blue collar hero: most of us busted our ass, wrestled hurt, rolled with the punches. But he just gritted it out for those of us without the skill, slickness, intelligence, grit, and dope coiffure that he had. 

Also had his program dropped in the process. Could have been a threat to place while at that place in Norfolk given how he always seemed to catch fire at nationals.
  • Fire 2

Insert catchy tagline here. 

In 2018 #10 seed Emery Parker dropped an opening round match at 184 and won seven straight for 3rd place. Obviously fringe AA with the seeding is not quite in line with thread criteria but I would consider that a remarkably deep run nonetheless.

• Fire 1

i am an idiot on the internet

2016 unseeded Casey Kent from Penn knocked off eight seed Epperly in the first round. He lost in the second round and in the wrestle backs in his  second match was losing badly when he got a pin. He pinned his next two guys and came all the way back to fourth losing in the third place match to Epperly.

• Fire 1

On 1/13/2024 at 2:00 PM, Crotalus said:
On 1/13/2024 at 9:10 AM, Idaho said:
Brewer was a 4x AA and seeded very low at the NCAA that year (11th I think) ... I did well on that bracket. 

Yeah, his case is an example of a terrible seeding job rather than an unexpected run. Was penalized by the seeding committee for being injured for a significant time. His dominance in the tournament may have been a bit surprising, but AAing certainly was not.

good interview with Brewer talking about his issues that year

• Fire 1

On 1/13/2024 at 11:34 AM, Wrestleknownothing said:

The wrestlers who out performed their seed by at least 10 spots is heavy in the past 4 years when everyone was seeded, but here is that list anyway. There are also a few from the 16 seed era on the list.

Killian Cardinale is clearly the most under rated wrestler of all time.

image.png.85173da7abfbfb60bb21062dddc04ebd.png

I won bracket challenge with a few friends in '21 - Virginia boys Turley and Cardinale definitely helped the cause. 

• Fire 2