• Playwire Ad Area

Missouri @ Stanford tonight (01-10-2024) at 6 p.m. P.T. (9 p.m. E.T.)

Thumper

Thanks flyingcement and 1032004 for the match updates and interjected humor.   Mizzou came to wrestle for sure.  So now I wonder what this means with Seltzer in the lineup at 141?  Also, I'd still like to see Mauller score some offensive takedowns.  It's going to bite him later if he doesn't improve in that phase of his wrestling.  I wonder how often he drills with KO?  Going to be some big tests coming up so I guess we will find out.  Been fun watching some of the new blood starters.  I love this time of the year. 

• Fire 1

39 minutes ago, MidwestMan said:

Thanks flyingcement and 1032004 for the match updates and interjected humor.   Mizzou came to wrestle for sure.  So now I wonder what this means with Seltzer in the lineup at 141?  Also, I'd still like to see Mauller score some offensive takedowns.  It's going to bite him later if he doesn't improve in that phase of his wrestling.  I wonder how often he drills with KO?  Going to be some big tests coming up so I guess we will find out.  Been fun watching some of the new blood starters.  I love this time of the year. 

I didn’t think Mauller wrestled particularly defensive TBH.  Cardenas was just shooting a lot, especially when he got down a bunch

2 hours ago, MidwestMan said:

Also, I'd still like to see Mauller score some offensive takedowns.  It's going to bite him later if he doesn't improve in that phase of his wrestling.  I wonder how often he drills with KO?  Going to be some big tests coming up so I guess we will find out. 

Have you watched Mauller much?  He's never been very offensive, but very hard to score on.  Against better wrestlers he scores most of his offensive points off of counters.  This may be a direct result of wrestling O'Toole in practice.  I've seen guys who were afraid to attack great wrestlers (like O'Toole) in practice, and watched that transfer over to a more defensive/counter mat style.

59 minutes ago, KCMO2 said:

Have you watched Mauller much?  He's never been very offensive, but very hard to score on.  Against better wrestlers he scores most of his offensive points off of counters.  This may be a direct result of wrestling O'Toole in practice.  I've seen guys who were afraid to attack great wrestlers (like O'Toole) in practice, and watched that transfer over to a more defensive/counter mat style.

100% agree. Although to be fair, he is more offensive so far this year. I think I read that he’s one TF shy this year of his previous career total. 

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, KCMO2 said:

Brock has been this style of wrestler since he was in high school.  He likes to sit the corner on opposing persons shot.  No secret.  Apparently in the room he is much more offensive.  I think he has above average shots when he takes them, but when things get really tough he relies on being super hard to score on.  His scrambling ability is top notch and is right there with O’Toole.  Everything that has been said here has been said to Brock by the coaches.  

3 hours ago, tiger-style said:

Don't read too much into a typo.

Or your entire post?     "Standford coach did not look very happy after this dual! I'm afraid their program won't be around much longer."

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

27 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Or your entire post?     "Standford coach did not look very happy after this dual! I'm afraid their program won't be around much longer."

tiger-style must be in the know on that Standford program. And it appears he/she is excited about the program's impending demise.

• Fire 1

3 hours ago, KCMO2 said:

KCMO2, actually I've been watching Brock wrestle ever since his HS days at Father Tolton.  We all know what Brock is good at, and so do well coached opponents.  He does score offensive points off of counters and very disciplined/intentional with his style.  The kids won over 100 matches so it has obviously worked for him.  But it's the situation where the opponent has the lead in the third period and just has to look busy and stay in good position and not take risk.  I'm a Brock Mauller fan and want to see him on that top step at nats.  The guys standing on the top of the podium are usually dominant-offensively on their feet.  Doesn't hurt to be a KO and have both.

• Fire 1