• Playwire Ad Area

looks like Baylor Fernandes is off the UNC roster finally

Hopefully UNCo gets him some help and he learns something from this. He's no longer wrestling's problem, but could now be society's problem. The kid behaved like a psychopath. 

Edited by CHROMEBIRD
  • Fire 5

Hopefully UNCo gets him some help and he learns something from this. He's no longer wrestling's problem, but could now be society's problem. The kid behaved like a psychopath. 

The problem he’s going to have is that his behavior is tied to him for ever via the wonder of the internet.

I hope the kid can get right and lead a productive life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Fire 1

17 minutes ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

Points wise, I don't see him as an AA threat. He wouln't bring much to a team, relative to the risk. 

Best case scenario for Northern Colorado in my opinion, is that they settle quietly with the Lillard family for medical, pain and mental anguish, loss of opportunity, etc. before litigation is filed, with subrogation payments to Indiana for the medical they've paid and will pay in the future. Not worth the risk. 

• Fire 3

4 hours ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

Best case scenario for Northern Colorado in my opinion, is that they settle quietly with the Lillard family for medical, pain and mental anguish, loss of opportunity, etc. before litigation is filed, with subrogation payments to Indiana for the medical they've paid and will pay in the future. Not worth the risk. 

Nicely put.  The focus here should be on the university.  Putting him on the mat again was indefensible and actionable.  As WKN said, hopefully the student will graduate from college and have a good future without wrestling. Any school who would put him on a mat after last year's atrocities is fully responsible for its reckless conduct. Any plaudits Nickerson might deserve for Alirez are more than wiped out by this disgrace.  

• Fire 4

16 minutes ago, BuckyBadger said:

Clip of the move. Clearly a blatant attempt to injure.

And official confirmation that he is out.

https://www.greeleytribune.com/2024/01/06/unc-wrestler-removed-from-roster-after-disqualification-at-southern-scuffle/amp/

I still don’t understand why Nickerson let it get this far.

Is he the one that made this call?  It is possible Tina Lillard got this in front of the right person and took it out of his control.  

• Fire 3

9 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

This seems the more likely scenario. 

Agree. They and she don't seem to be providing further information, so while it's possible that the school finally took action on its own, based on past performance, my guess is that the coach, although pissed, hadn't kicked him off, and the athletic department continued to slumber, then her complaint comes in, it triggers some sort of a reporting protocol, which leads to someone with a working cranium and/or someone with an active bar card finally being looped in (at least a year late), which leads to a quick realization that the mom's son has a very strong claim against the university (complete with videotape!), which leads to a quick dismissal of the athlete from the team, and the beginning of settlement discussions, which leads to both sides not commenting further publicly.

• Fire 2

It is not unusual for a school to announce the dismissal of an athlete.  They typically use it as a prop to promote idealized values they fall pitifully short of.  Perhaps his history prevented that.

That practice has tended to fall out of favor in the recent years. Mainly due to the growing divide between athletics comms people who are already understaffed and overworked and the demanding nature of college coaches who feel those people work FOR them
  • Fire 2

Insert catchy tagline here. 

12 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

It is not unusual for a school to announce the dismissal of an athlete.  They typically use it as a prop to promote idealized values they fall pitifully short of.  Perhaps his history prevented that.

Depends on what you mean by "a school?"  The university may release/dismiss a student for violation of student code of conduct.  Cheating on an exam or project assignment, plagiarism are academic examples.  Pretty sure Ferrari was dismissed from the university mid/late Spring semester, there was a lot going on.  Don't know that a university would get involved in violation of team code of conduct for athletes that would be within the team or a DIA level decision.  For dismissal there need to be a clear set of rules and a documented violation, prob can't just kick someone out cause they did something bad.

7 minutes ago, ionel said:

Depends on what you mean by "a school?"  The university may release/dismiss a student for violation of student code of conduct.  Cheating on an exam or project assignment, plagiarism are academic examples.  Pretty sure Ferrari was dismissed from the university mid/late Spring semester, there was a lot going on.  Don't know that a university would get involved in violation of team code of conduct for athletes that would be within the team or a DIA level decision.  For dismissal there need to be a clear set of rules and a documented violation, prob can't just kick someone out cause they did something bad.

I meant dismissal from the team.

Speaking of mothers, it needs to be emphasized again, how amazing and how great for the sport is Mrs. Lilliard?  If you've read her posts that Mineo posted by screenshot, they are starkly honest, direct, dignified, and forceful -- and with zero malice toward the wrestler who injured her son.  Although the subsequent events have been opaque, it appears that her decency and determination are the only things that have finally put a stop to this dangerous conduct. 

• Fire 5

5 minutes ago, dragit said:

Speaking of mothers, it needs to be emphasized again, how amazing and how great for the sport is Mrs. Lilliard?  If you've read her posts that Mineo posted by screenshot, they are starkly honest, direct, dignified, and forceful -- and with zero malice toward the wrestler who injured her son.  Although the subsequent events have been opaque, it appears that her decency and determination are the only things that have finally put a stop to this dangerous conduct. 

The woman is the mother of the year in wrestling as far as I can tell.  Class act and excellent mother. 

• Fire 5

Tina Lillard surly made a call to a law firm. My only issue is with both head coaches for the teams involved, when this happened. For not speaking to the event that happened. And also all tje NCAA coaches, for not being outraged , publicly. And what about the individual universities not speaking to this incident. Other than being dismissed from team. 
Talk about giving wrestling a black eye with the casual fan. 

51 minutes ago, Southend said:

Tina Lillard surly made a call to a law firm. My only issue is with both head coaches for the teams involved, when this happened. For not speaking to the event that happened. And also all tje NCAA coaches, for not being outraged , publicly. And what about the individual universities not speaking to this incident. Other than being dismissed from team. 
Talk about giving wrestling a black eye with the casual fan. 

This is a big deal.  But it is really only the die-hard fans who know about and understand the whole story.  Most people aren't going to know about this, or take the time to understand the nuances of the situation.

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

12 hours ago, jchapman said:

This is a big deal.  But it is really only the die-hard fans who know about and understand the whole story.  Most people aren't going to know about this, or take the time to understand the nuances of the situation.

If I’m Tina Lillard it will be well known, and heads would roll at Nickerson University