• Playwire Ad Area

SDSU/Michigan 1-4-24

7 minutes ago, ionel said:

Is Gomez still on the B squad? 

Why do you always have to nitpick? Backups wrestled at 125, 133, 157, and now 165. I wouldn't be surprised to NOT see Griffith out there.

Edit: I'm glad to be proven wrong. Griffith is taking the mat!

Edited by Mr. PeanutButter

5 minutes ago, JimmyBT said:

If you follow wrestling it’s known that cook goes for the big throw and pin.  It’s what he does. 

He seems to have polished up his all around wrestling a bit though - less of a pure one trick pony, but still overly reliant on the big move

55 minutes ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

To be fair to Michigan, 125 and 133 have been fighting injuries, so I don't think many were expecting them to show. 157 and 165 were a little surprising

Lewan and Amine haven’t wrestled since the CKLV, although I guess Michigan hasn’t had many competitions at all since then

Great crowd tonight in Sioux Falls. The event venue was full so likely around 3,000 people in attendance. 

125- Back and forth match, Jordan gets a late takedown to take the match 5-3 over Tanefeu

133- dominant win by fall for Cardinal over Wertanen. Was going to be a tech and then finished off the fall. Wertanen did hit a nice headlock out of bounds. 

141- Lemely with his first signature win over Carlson 6-4. Carlson got a lead and tried to hang on. He appeared to be pretty gassed out. He is just coming back from an extended injury so I expect him to get better as he gets his lungs back. 

149- Gomez with a 10-4 win over Martin. Man, Gomez is quick. There were some good scrambles in this match. Gomez was on a roll and banged up his elbow and was more conservative after that. 

157- Swenson 13-2 over Mattin. Swenson had some very crisp leg attacks and reattacks. He looked great in this match. 

165- Mantanona 4-2 over Cook. Typical Tanner Cook match where he attempted a couple gator bacons, a lateral drop a crab ride roll through half over his own back. Cook was very close to scoring at the end of regulation for the win. 

174- Griffith 4-1 OT over Devos. Neither guy opened up much in the first two periods. Devos was very close to scoring a single leg as time expired in regulation. Griffith took his first committed leg attack of the match in OT and finished it for the win. 

184- Berge 12-5 over Bullock. Best Berge has wrestled in a Jacks singlet. Hoping this is a sign of things to come. He looked great. 

197- Sloan tf over Yatooma. Slick duck by Sloan on the second takedown  Yatooma outmatched here  

HWT- Davison tf Rasmussen. Davison too much for Luke  

Would have liked to see Michigan at full strength. You can only wrestle the guys they send out. Go Jacks!

• Fire 6

11 hours ago, flyingcement said:

He seems to have polished up his all around wrestling a bit though - less of a pure one trick pony, but still overly reliant on the big move

Really?  I don’t see it. 

2 minutes ago, JimmyBT said:

Really?  I don’t see it. 

As a guy who follows SDSU wrestling very closely, I also do not see it. He is pretty much the same guy. Very dangerous and someone that can pin at any point in a match but heavily reliant on his funk. Before Baylor Fernandes tried to break his arm last year he was really rolling and was able to score in those funk positions more regularly. He definitely was not the same guy after that match last year and I have not seen him be the same guy this year yet. On his gator bacon, he uses his right arm to wrench the neck and that is the arm Fernandes injured. Not sure if that is still a factor or not. 

Just now, Gus said:

As a guy who follows SDSU wrestling very closely, I also do not see it. He is pretty much the same guy. Very dangerous and someone that can pin at any point in a match but heavily reliant on his funk. Before Baylor Fernandes tried to break his arm last year he was really rolling and was able to score in those funk positions more regularly. He definitely was not the same guy after that match last year and I have not seen him be the same guy this year yet. On his gator bacon, he uses his right arm to wrench the neck and that is the arm Fernandes injured. Not sure if that is still a factor or not. 

Agree he doesn’t look like himself. The arm has to be a big reason why (IMO). I’ve watched matches in the past where he would try until he got it (especially against guys he’s wrestling the first time) Doesn’t seem to be the case now.  I always enjoy watching guys that he’s caught in the past wrestle him again and seeing how they adjust against him. 

Agree he doesn’t look like himself. The arm has to be a big reason why (IMO). I’ve watched matches in the past where he would try until he got it (especially against guys he’s wrestling the first time) Doesn’t seem to be the case now.  I always enjoy watching guys that he’s caught in the past wrestle him again and seeing how they adjust against him. 

It was pretty funny watching Andrew Sparks wrestle Cook in 2023 after getting tossed and pinned off his own shot in 2022. Pretty much didn’t engage at all on their feet until OT, where he lost. He was terrified to even tie up with him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, poorwrestler said:

It was pretty funny watching Andrew Sparks wrestle Cook in 2023 after getting tossed and pinned off his own shot in 2022. Pretty much didn’t engage at all on their feet until OT, where he lost. He was terrified to even tie up with him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luke Weber was another guy that I watched wrestle cook a couple times. I believe the first time it was at up 174 and Weber tried to throw Cook. Looked for sure like he had him, then as cook seems to do, ended up tossing Weber and putting the match away. I think it was a 17-8 final.  The next time was at 165 and Weber was much more careful. 2-2 going into OT when Cook caught him again and won 8-2.  I honestly think Weber learned from Cook that he could throw too (just not against Cook) and went on to being a Big 12 champ with that added to his arsenal.