• Playwire Ad Area

Dry Programs?

20 hours ago, Hammerlock3 said:

yes

which is why Pat P was never a candidate for the OSU job.

Any proof (lol, dad joke) that that’s actually true? I haven’t heard of anybody else being a candidate for Coleman’s position but who knows. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, alex1fly said:

Any proof (lol, dad joke) that that’s actually true? I haven’t heard of anybody else being a candidate for Coleman’s position but who knows. 

no thats all just my opinion. Basically, if he wants to run his program like that my opinion is that OSU probably isnt the best place. 

• Fire 1

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

6 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

no thats all just my opinion. Basically, if he wants to run his program like that my opinion is that OSU probably isnt the best place. 

Or any other college wrestling program, seems like.

to be fair I haven’t even seen evidence that NC State is no tolerance dry besides people saying “I think NC State is dry” on forums. 

Edited by alex1fly

1 minute ago, alex1fly said:

Not sure why you’re singling out OSU here. Seems like if dry is the only way for Pat then he can’t run 99% of college wrestling programs. I haven’t even seen evidence that NC State is no tolerance dry besides it getting repeated on forums. 

I was told by a D1 coach who recruited against him a lot. i won't name drop.

I'm signaling out OSU because its known as a party school, and its not the only one, but its also slack academicaly. 

Someone said that if you are a d1 athlete you can have 2/3 of sports, academics, social life. If you are gravitating toward OSU I don't think you're going for sports and academics. The idea dry school might be somewhere like michigan based on my theory.

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

I am not sure that there is a correlation between the two, I could be wrong but in interviews that I have heard with Pat Pop or Beasley faith has never been mentioned. Implementing a dry program cannot be an easy task, I think what a majority of programs do is use the preseason and season as times when no alcohol is permitted.

On 1/5/2024 at 8:18 AM, Plasmodium said:

I think a rule to avoid alcohol during the season is reasonable.  A year long rule would make liars and cheats out of most of the team, so counter productive.

Do any teams have team rules banning alcohol after NCAA's and over the summer?  Seems too much!

8 minutes ago, Elevator said:

Do any teams have team rules banning alcohol after NCAA's and over the summer?  Seems too much!

That would be surprising. In general, rules banning booze and other substances were not necessary imo because most guys are so keyed in to training all the time, keeping in peak form, and watching their weight that they wouldn't want to touch most substances anyway. But then again there are guys like Randy Lewis who are so damn good that they party and do whatever they want and still win most of the time, lol

• Fire 2

15 minutes ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

That would be surprising. In general, rules banning booze and other substances were not necessary imo because most guys are so keyed in to training all the time, keeping in peak form, and watching their weight that they wouldn't want to touch most substances anyway. But then again there are guys like Randy Lewis who are so damn good that they party and do whatever they want and still win most of the time, lol

Yes - but as to Lewis I think his eligibility is up.

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, alex1fly said:

So is there any evidence that NC State is dry? Or just a repeated rumor. 

https://www.hmawrestling.com/article/popolizio-and-the-pack/

After just three weeks of searching, Yow found her man as Pat Popolizio signed on to become the head coach of the North Carolina State program.

Popolizio brought his no nonsense style of leadership (a style that led to his nickname “The Skip”) to Raleigh, along with assistant coaches Frank Beasley, Jamill Kelly, and Jeff Breese. They instituted a year-round zero tolerance policy on drugs and alcohol and vowed to push their student-athletes harder than they had ever been pushed both on the mat and in the classroom.

Edited by flyingcement
  • Fire 1

26 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

https://www.hmawrestling.com/article/popolizio-and-the-pack/

After just three weeks of searching, Yow found her man as Pat Popolizio signed on to become the head coach of the North Carolina State program.

Popolizio brought his no nonsense style of leadership (a style that led to his nickname “The Skip”) to Raleigh, along with assistant coaches Frank Beasley, Jamill Kelly, and Jeff Breese. They instituted a year-round zero tolerance policy on drugs and alcohol and vowed to push their student-athletes harder than they had ever been pushed both on the mat and in the classroom.

I don't see why any would have a problem with this.

4 hours ago, flyingcement said:

This was my impression of NC State and George Mason but I could be off base 

Mine as well- both complete dry. Keeping/making a program that way takes incredibly diligent recruiting and seems to be paying off for NC state and George Mason is on the rise. 

Wrestling is about discipline, I know it’s never going to happen but I would love to see all programs commit to being drug and alcohol free. 

2 hours ago, FanOfPurdueWrestling said:

Is this a joke? Everything I know about them points to the exact opposite….

not a joke, the entire university and in fact the city of Tempe is earnest, solemn, and joyless. Mirth is discouraged, culturally. 

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Bardamu911 said:

not a joke, the entire university and in fact the city of Tempe is earnest, solemn, and joyless. Mirth is discouraged, culturally. 

My friend took a visit to ASU for wrestling and halfway through realized he hadn't seen an academic building during his time. The school is know for partying and I bet the wrestlers aren’t an exception…. Apparently there was a pic of Zahid and his championship trophy with an illicit substance on it. Although I have not seen it. 

• Fire 1