• Playwire Ad Area

Cael with 3 point TDs.....

Hammerlock3

one thing i learned was that he had 61 pins, 18 techs and 27 majors, i was surpised at those ratios in terms of how often he got the fall. Three point TDs probably would take the pin count down but howmany of those majors would be techs? And decisions majors for that matter...

• Fire 1

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

27 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

one thing i learned was that he had 61 pins, 18 techs and 27 majors, i was surpised at those ratios in terms of how often he got the fall. Three point TDs probably would take the pin count down but howmany of those majors would be techs? And decisions majors for that matter...

That's an interesting question. I'd assume techs and majors would go way up...

My answer is incomplete, but let's give it a shot anyway..

I found this article that lists all of Sanderson's results, but there are a few complications.

1. There are 167 matches listed here, not 159. I made a guess which 8 were not official matches (forfeits, matches against Team Excel, Iowa Central, and Cliff Keen).
  2. That still left one too many pinfalls. I am guessing the one against Ellsworth was not official, but that is based on nothing. Though it doesn't matter for this exercise, it still bothers me.
  3. There are three non-TF matches without a result listed. I found the result for one of these (1999 Big 12 final Dec 9-5), but not the other two (199 Big 12 semi vs Tom Grossman, 2001 vs. Paul Okins Mankato St).

The likeliest place to find extra match terminations with three point takedowns is among the major decisions. There are 31 listed rather than the 27 @Hammerlock3 found. Two of them had a score difference of 15, though. Not sure which is wrong, the score or the classification. Let's guess it is the classification. That leaves 29 majors. 

Major margin of victory:

14 - 2x
13 - 5x
12 - 1x
11 - 7x
10 - 3x
9 - 5x
8 - 6x

• It seems likely that all of his 14, 13, and 12 point victories would have been tech falls. His winning scores were 20, 21, 21, 19, 19, 16, and 21. As @Jim L pointed out, this was before the 4 point near pinfall so it is likely that even in the 12 point wins there were at least three takedowns. 
  • The 11 point victories also involved very high winning scores: 14, 15, 16, 16, 17, 18, 20. How many of those had at least 4 takedowns? These feel like mostly catch and release type matches, so I am guessing at least 5 of the 7 turn into TFs.
  • All of the 10 point victories were by 17-7 scores. Were they catch and release? Maybe. Let's give him 1 of those.
  • Among the 8 and 9 point victories I am going to say only one of each turns into a TF based on re-scoring (one of two 16-7 wins, and a 17-9 win).

Summing it up that gets us 16 extra match terminations.

According to the NCAA article he had 61 pinfalls, 46 tech falls, 29 majors, 1 DQ, and only 20 decisions (and 2 who knows?) for a match termination rate of 67.3%. Make takedowns worth three and I think his match termination rate goes up to 77.4%.

Note: someone once posted all of Sanderson's results. I do not remember if it was here or on the old forum, but if you are out there please fill in the holes and unknowns.

Edited by Wrestleknownothing
  • Fire 3

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

58 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

According to the NCAA article he had 61 pinfalls, 

Never!  Please post a high resolution scanned pdf of said article.  🤨