• Playwire Ad Area

No BS...Is AJ wrestling this year?

The_KC_Godfather

Just now, Hammerlock3 said:

obviously against brooks. When I said "any given match" i just meant 20% based on the idea they were gonna wrestle 3 times or whatever. Your %?

He's almost ready to wrestle his first match.  I might change mind after but I'd go 45% first time but 25% second (Carl has a plan). 

• Fire 1

2 minutes ago, ionel said:

He's almost ready to wrestle his first match.  I might change mind after but I'd go 45% first time but 25% second (Carl has a plan). 

supposedly dave schultz would lose folkstyle matches on purpose to hide his feel from people and mess with thier heads at NCAAs, i don't think PSU does that but to your point they seem to save the game planning for march...

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

1 hour ago, BAC said:

I agree in part but mostly disagree.  Yes, he has elite strength and speed, but he's never had an elite offense.  It is his defense that's made the difference in close matches.  Keep distance, use his strength/speed to keep opponents at bay, and sneak in for a score.  Lots of 3-1, 4-2 type matches, against Jake Woodley type guys.  Has he ever beaten a top-20 guy by more than 5 points?  I don't think so.

I'm not faulting him for that approach.  It's the best winning formula for him until he learns to diversify and open up his offense.  But it's risky at best against someone with an equally stout defense (e.g. Trent Hidlay), and won't work at all against someone with a dynamic offense. Someone like Brooks.

Remember, a couple weeks after winning NCAAs in 2021, Ferrari entered WTTs, where he promptly lost to Macchiavello, and then Ben Honis.  Brooks, meanwhile, lost only to David Taylor at 2023 WTTs, and convincingly beat Zahid Valencia along the way -- who ended up bumping up a weight and winning a world medal.  These guys just aren't on the same level.  

Maybe AJ's defense would keep him from getting majored by Brooks, but I think a Brooks MD is far more likely than a Ferrari win.  Even at AJ's best I think Hidlay beats him 8-9 times out of 10.

I think you're underselling Ferrari hugely.  Firstly, on the OTT stuff, Ferrari was wrestling 97kg, which is significantly bigger than his college weight.  Brooks has been competing at 86 kg, which is much closer to his college weight.

He was a true freshman NCAA champ at 197 lbs, which I think is a first.  He's a year YOUNGER than Brooks.  You're assuming regression, whereas I think stagnation is far more likely, but even then, you're basing that in lack of competition, but the Ferraris were notorious for not competing much. I think he's clearly a threat to Brooks.  I wish he wasn't wrestling for Iowa, but I think you're crazy for dismissing him. 

I'm picking Brooks, though. 

23 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

supposedly dave schultz would lose folkstyle matches on purpose to hide his feel from people and mess with thier heads at NCAAs, i don't think PSU does that but to your point they seem to save the game planning for march...

I'll stick with my numbers but not sure if he will survive till b10s, he's showing palsy both right and left side now.  🥴  

Edited by ionel

1 hour ago, ionel said:

lowering image is good?  🤔

All the discussion he gets from places like this isn’t good?   There’s an old saying that “any publicity is good publicity”.  Just because you and others don’t like him doesn’t really mean squat.  

2 minutes ago, JimmyBT said:

All the discussion he gets from places like this isn’t good?   There’s an old saying that “any publicity is good publicity”.  Just because you and others don’t like him doesn’t really mean squat.  

I simply don't like what he did.

8 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I do not know of any wrestler who got better by not wrestling for two years. I do not even know anyone who has gotten better at anything by not doing it for two years.

Not even Trump?  😉