• Playwire Ad Area

Benefit of the senior nationals

ScarletKnight

Would've been cool to see more already-qualified guys go at Senior Nationals to block a placewinner out of a spot. Spencer, Nico, and some others did and I like how it raises the stakes.
With the top 5 qualifying, what's the point? To keep a high school kid from qualifying for the trials? It's fun for us to get to see these guys wrestle more, but I don't see "stealing a spot" as being beneficial to an already qualified wrestler.

A few reasons in no particular order:

The current trend across all sports is fewer actual goes in order to reduce wear & tear. Less mileage = ability to produce at a deeper depth when it matters for a longer sustained period of time i.e can do 2 major tournaments per year for 10 years instead of 4 major tournaments in 4 months for five years. This goes against the previous multi-generational "wrestle as many matches as possible" mantra.

Seeds don't matter nearly as much with the medalists earning auto byes. And honestly how much do they really matter at the senior level anyways? Everyone is so good and the only goal is to win. At NCAAs sure a seed could be the difference between AA 8th and R16/R12, but if you want to make a world/olympic team you have to beat everyone. Refer to Vito and Taylor and Dake and Parris as contemporary examples that earned '23 world medals but were previously unable to break through domestic barriers.

Some guys are banged up and are at a mental level where going to last chance to earn their spot is not intimidating. They would rather be healthy when it matters most than cause more damage.

• Fire 2

i am an idiot on the internet

I'm for more wrestling, but I see your point about wear and tear.   It just seems to me that wrestling real matches gets the rust of better.   But perhaps, they take care of that in practice.   The top keeps being at the top.   Snyder seems to be an exception here, he wrestles through the year.  

mspart

• Fire 2