• Playwire Ad Area

Can someone explain what a NIL would look like if you were a top 5 in your class? What would someone have to offer to get a top prospect.

Paul158

17 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

The point is never trust the headline number, never believe the rumored number, and never trust someone else to do the math for you.

Can we trust the person making the offer or the person accepting the offer or do we need to trace the corresponding bank transactions?  

8 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

regardless, the numbers, even in wrestling, are significant. 

six figures is common.

How common is it outside of PSU, Iowa, Michigan, or tOSU? Maybe Cornell and OkSt but Yianni and Fix are exceptions rather than rules given their accolades (and one could argue that Fix hasn't earned it if you disregard freestyle).

The one thing I have learned about NIL is that even though wrestling finally has a bag man, it's still very hush hush. Transparency is necessary for wrestlers, families, coaches, journalists, and fans.

Edited by bnwtwg
forgot Ann Arbor
  • Fire 1

i am an idiot on the internet

31 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

regardless, the numbers, even in wrestling, are significant. 

six figures is common.

When you say six figures is that for a freshman and spread across four-ish years? Or is it per year? Or is that for a transfer spread across one or maybe two years? Is that a guarantee or just an estimate? If it is an estimate, do you have any idea yet how accurate those estimates are?

Not looking for you to betray any confidences, but I am very curious because there are so many variables, but people tend to talk about these things like there are no variables.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

5 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

When you say six figures is that for a freshman and spread across four-ish years? Or is it per year? Or is that for a transfer spread across one or maybe two years? Is that a guarantee or just an estimate? If it is an estimate, do you have any idea yet how accurate those estimates are?

Not looking for you to betray any confidences, but I am very curious because there are so many variables, but people tend to talk about these things like there are no variables.

Fr each year for 5 years.  Obviously not everyone is getting it maybe not even more than 1, but it's out there.  

I don't think it is team specific. but I know that several wrestlers depending on subscriber count and name recognition can make between $500 and $2,000 per social media post promoting products that they represent through sponsored endorsers.  Scraplife. Jocko. Rudis , car dealerships. etc.     

4 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

they're all designed differently. each school has its own way of doing things. 

some include tuition in the 'value' of what they offer; some don't.

some require you to simply compete for their college, some have FS escalators, some have branding/image/social aspects, etc, etc. 

you're asking all the right questions but you seem to doubt they exist (or that the numbers are that high).

i assure you, they are.

• Fire 2

TBD

On 12/13/2023 at 8:49 PM, Wrestleknownothing said:

The point is never trust the headline number, never believe the rumored number, and never trust someone else to do the math for you.

You and I both know for the vast majority of people, this isn't possible. They just have to believe what someone else says.
I also know that you know, as important as doing the Math is, knowing what numbers to work with is at least as important.
Either of us could do the Math in 90+% of the other's field, but wouldn't know what assumptions/theory to use to get to the Math.
I have to believe someone's numbers in Finance, you have to believe that plane really will fly.
I always remember my second year of college I had a lab partner in an EE course that asked me "Which formula do I use for this problem?"  I looked at him and said "That IS the problem. Once you know that, a monkey could take it from there."  Now with the computers and software available, that's even more true than it was 50+years ago.

Edited by BerniePragle
  • Fire 3

@Husker_Du I promise I'm not asking you to out any sources. Never. Never, ever, ever.

What we are all asking is for the person who is far and away the most tuned in by a degree of (Flo + Minnow + boards)² is to provide transparency in waters more murky than the bottom of Loch Ness, if you would be willing to be less vague. It is already occurring at a journalism level in softball, WBB, MBB, and CFB because they are more prominent sports. Please bring our sport into the 21st century and shed some promi$e along the way for those waiting in the wings. Be the change.

• Fire 2

Slightly different direction, watching v-ball and a NCAA commercial during break showed the clip of The Gable flip.  Surely Steveson gets paid each and every time they show his flip image.  Does anyone know how much per flip $10k, $50k, more?

Edited by ionel

17 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

@Husker_Du I promise I'm not asking you to out any sources. Never. Never, ever, ever.

What we are all asking is for the person who is far and away the most tuned in by a degree of (Flo + Minnow + boards)² is to provide transparency in waters more murky than the bottom of Loch Ness, if you would be willing to be less vague. It is already occurring at a journalism level in softball, WBB, MBB, and CFB because they are more prominent sports. Please bring our sport into the 21st century and shed some promi$e along the way for those waiting in the wings. Be the change.

What is occurring in those other sports?  I don’t follow them much so could have missed it but I don’t recall seeing a whole lot more specifics there.  For example I know there were comments made about needing $1-$2 million or so for a good transfer QB.  But didn’t see specifics about whether or not that was per year, etc. everyone and their brother gets a scholarship for football so it’s probably assumed that is additional, not that tuition would make much difference when you’re talking numbers that big anyway.

4 hours ago, 1032004 said:

What is occurring in those other sports?  I don’t follow them much so could have missed it but I don’t recall seeing a whole lot more specifics there.  For example I know there were comments made about needing $1-$2 million or so for a good transfer QB.  But didn’t see specifics about whether or not that was per year, etc. everyone and their brother gets a scholarship for football so it’s probably assumed that is additional, not that tuition would make much difference when you’re talking numbers that big anyway.

Thanks for keeping murky waters. What was your point?

3 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

Thanks for keeping murky waters. What was your point?

I thought you were suggesting people in other sports have provided more specifics around NIL deals.

I haven’t seen that to be the case, but I don’t follow other sports closely.  Can you provide some examples where more specifics for NIL deals (particularly for new recruits and transfers) outside of headline numbers were provided?

On 12/13/2023 at 8:43 PM, JimmyBT said:

It was the Minnesota Coach that I read about.  He said it was more than just QBs that we’re getting Million dollar offers.   He seemed like he was talking about what kids are telling him they’re getting when he calls them about transferring there. 

Yeah, Fleck is an idiot. I've never taken anything he's said seriously. He's the coach that makes everything about him.

I don't know what to believe when he talks. That wasn't about just QBs...which is what I thought the original post was about, but maybe I was wrong. 

Fleck just sounds like he's making excuses about why guys are leaving(that comment was about their Freshmen RB getting offers from other teams already). Rhule made the comment about QBs much more recently. Either way, they're getting paid in the transfer portal. 

4 minutes ago, scourge165 said:

Yeah, Fleck is an idiot. I've never taken anything he's said seriously. He's the coach that makes everything about him.

I don't know what to believe when he talks. That wasn't about just QBs...which is what I thought the original post was about, but maybe I was wrong. 

Fleck just sounds like he's making excuses about why guys are leaving(that comment was about their Freshmen RB getting offers from other teams already). Rhule made the comment about QBs much more recently. Either way, they're getting paid in the transfer portal. 

Wow. You sound just like fleck 

27 minutes ago, scourge165 said:

Ya that’s why I said it wasn’t just about Qbs. Thx for reinforcing the point.  Fleck was pretty much saying the same thing Ruhle was.  That if you want a premium college player it’s going to cost you at least $1,000,000.  Im not a Fleck fan but if he’s and idiot the Nebraska guy is too.  Carry on though. 

I always find it the height of hypocrisy when these football coaches complain about NIL.

Fleck makes $6 million a year. Rhule's contract averages over $9 million a year.

Yet somehow they bitch and moan about the players getting paid. They are really just bitching about having to work harder.

• Fire 2

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

2 minutes ago, JimmyBT said:

Ya that’s why I said it wasn’t just about Qbs. Thx for reinforcing the point.  Fleck was pretty much saying the same thing Ruhle was.  That if you want a premium college player it’s going to cost you at least $1,000,000.  Im not a Fleck fan but if he’s and idiot the Nebraska guy is too.  Carry on though. 

Dude...what's your problem?

I've never encountered you before. My issue with Fleck isn't this particular statement, it's his general, overall act, but if you're a huge PJ Fleck fan, I promise I won't say another word about him again! LOL...I didn't know that'd be an issue. 

But that post upset you enough to get two straight replies? One about me and then you came back with this? And if you don't like Rhule, I don't care. I don't see the same act out of him and he had success, but I'm really not all that invested in any of this shit dude. 

4 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I always find it the height of hypocrisy when these football coaches complain about NIL.

Fleck makes $6 million a year. Rhule's contract averages over $9 million a year.

Yet somehow they bitch and moan about the players getting paid. They are really just bitching about having to work harder.

I didn't really take either as being upset that they're players are getting paid.

I WOULD say I thought Rhule was just sending a message and Fleck was...making excuses for Minnesota players leaving, but with these diehard Fleck fans, I don't want to anger anyone.

8 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Some of the coaching staffs are close to 20 million dollars plus their bonus's. Universities make a great deal of money from selling merchandise. Billions with a B. College athlete's in the past were extremely poor. Hopefully this will help them. I wouldn't be opposed to giving  athletes a monthly stipend.

6 minutes ago, Paul158 said:

Some of the coaching staffs are close to 20 million dollars plus their bonus's. Universities make a great deal of money from selling merchandise. Billions with a B. College athlete's in the past were extremely poor. Hopefully this will help them. I wouldn't be opposed to giving  athletes a monthly stipend.

But the NIL money doesn't come from the university correct?  Can you name a university making a great deal of money selling merchandise, university not DIA?  Can you name a wrestling program where revenue (not NIL & donations) exceeds expenses?  Yes there are 6 figure NIL deals for wrestlers but its not coming from the image value as it was sold when this was approved.  

33 minutes ago, ionel said:

But the NIL money doesn't come from the university correct?  Can you name a university making a great deal of money selling merchandise, university not DIA?  Can you name a wrestling program where revenue (not NIL & donations) exceeds expenses?  Yes there are 6 figure NIL deals for wrestlers but its not coming from the image value as it was sold when this was approved.  

My reply was in response to Wrestleknownothing and college football. Football coaches who make 7,8 or 9 million dollars complaining about NIL's. But in response to the college wrestling question.  I would say Iowa, Iowa st./ Okla. State, Penn St and Ohio St are doing  pretty well. There could be others.

2 minutes ago, Paul158 said:

My reply was in response to Wrestleknownothing and college football. Football coaches who make 7,8 or 9 million dollars complaining about NIL's. But in response to the college wrestling question.  I would say Iowa, Iowa st./ Okla. State, Penn St and Ohio St are doing  pretty well. There could be others.

Doing well, doubt cover expenses. 

2 minutes ago, ionel said:

Doing well, doubt cover expenses. 

In all of college sports(Div.1,2,3.) men's ,women's, every school included, I doubt there are more than 75 teams that can cover all expenses. They would be in Div. 1 men's football and Div. 1 men's basketball. I'm not sure but that is probably well over 8000 (plus) teams across all divisions. There are 1066  NCAA member institutions. That is a lot of sports teams.

4 hours ago, scourge165 said:

Dude...what's your problem?

I've never encountered you before. My issue with Fleck isn't this particular statement, it's his general, overall act, but if you're a huge PJ Fleck fan, I promise I won't say another word about him again! LOL...I didn't know that'd be an issue. 

But that post upset you enough to get two straight replies? One about me and then you came back with this? And if you don't like Rhule, I don't care. I don't see the same act out of him and he had success, but I'm really not all that invested in any of this shit dude. 

I have zero problems. It says right in the post that I’m not a Fleck fan soooooooooooo.  You thinking he’s an idiot has what to do with anything??  I have zero problem with Ruhle but keep ASSuming.  Oh and that really made me upset.  Bahahahahhahahahahahahahahha.  It’s the internet. Sorry jr. 

Edited by JimmyBT