• Playwire Ad Area

Assuming both Starocci and Brooks win 4 NCAA titles...who had the better career?

Jimmy Cinnabon

4 hours ago, scourge165 said:

I don't think O'Toole's problem was Carr was just physically too strong, Carr just wrestled very smart and finished cleanly in the first two and then in the Finals, O'Toole was able to wrestle his style and forced Carr to attack a bit more which suits his style. 

It's unlikely that anyone is going to beat either. Maybe this is why nobody actually named someone. Obviously it's easier to take the overwhelming favorites at their weights vs guys bumping up to Wrestle them, but...it's about who is the MOST likely. 

Trumble is why I wouldn't mind seeing a 220 in College. There are a few guys I can think of who cut too much OR are lighter HWTs. Guys like Davidson or Hilger just from the B1G. Bastida would be a stud there. Feldman from OSU is a smaller HWT, right? Similar to Snyder. 

97KG is probably closer to a natural weight for Trumble. I could easily see him moving up to HWT and weighing ~240 if he wanted. He has the frame for it. 

It would just end up watering down both 197 and 285 though. Maybe if the upper weights were just stretched out a bit 174, 190, 210 or something like that?

On 12/13/2023 at 8:27 PM, nhs67 said:

Hillger was 255lbs at B1Gs.

Yeah, AFTER he spent a year on a 12,000 a day calorie diet. He bulked up his Sr year because he wasn't big enough earlier in his career. He had a big gut that he didn't have his first several years. 

He went from ~215 to 265 and then I guess settled in at 255.

But this is the point. Too big to cut to '97, small for HWT. 

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/college/uw/2023/04/07/wisconsin-wrestler-trent-hillger-earns-fourth-all-american-honor/70073306007/

31 minutes ago, scourge165 said:

Yeah, AFTER he spent a year on a 12,000 a day calorie diet. He bulked up his Sr year because he wasn't big enough earlier in his career. He had a big gut that he didn't have his first several years. 

He went from ~215 to 265 and then I guess settled in at 255.

But this is the point. Too big to cut to '97, small for HWT. 

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/college/uw/2023/04/07/wisconsin-wrestler-trent-hillger-earns-fourth-all-american-honor/70073306007/

255lbs is not too small for HWT.  Parris and Kerkvliet do just fine.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

Just now, nhs67 said:

255lbs is not too small for HWT.  Parris and Kerkvliet do just fine.

RIGHT...but the PREVIOUS five years he wrestled in College, he was about 215-220. He's NOT built like Parris or Kerkvliet. I KNOW you get this.

Hence the 12000 calorie-a-day diet that made him a LOT fatter.

'I’d rather cut weight than do this again': Trent Hillger gained 50 pounds and made history with Wisconsin wrestling

So...now, back to the original point, he's ONE of MANY guys who'd have benefited from having a weight class between '97 and HWT. 

• Fire 1

43 minutes ago, scourge165 said:

RIGHT...but the PREVIOUS five years he wrestled in College, he was about 215-220. He's NOT built like Parris or Kerkvliet. I KNOW you get this.

Hence the 12000 calorie-a-day diet that made him a LOT fatter.

So...now, back to the original point, he's ONE of MANY guys who'd have benefited from having a weight class between '97 and HWT. 

You're bonkers if you think he was 215lbs.  I watched the kid growing up.  He was larger than 215lbs when he actually wrestled 215lbs.  When he got 'down' to 215lbs after he was injured it was due to not training.  That wasn't a natural walk-around weight.  The guy is as solid of 255lbs as there is.  He's not super lean because he is a heavyweight, but he isn't too small for the weight.  You're trying to cite one case where he dropped weight due to injury... it even says that in the article you posted above.

He isn't 215lbs now and when he got back to his actual competition weight he wasn't anywhere near 215lbs.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

4 hours ago, nhs67 said:

You're bonkers if you think he was 215lbs.  I watched the kid growing up.  He was larger than 215lbs when he actually wrestled 215lbs.  When he got 'down' to 215lbs after he was injured it was due to not training.  That wasn't a natural walk-around weight.  The guy is as solid of 255lbs as there is.  He's not super lean because he is a heavyweight, but he isn't too small for the weight.  You're trying to cite one case where he dropped weight due to injury... it even says that in the article you posted above.

He isn't 215lbs now and when he got back to his actual competition weight he wasn't anywhere near 215lbs.

Jesus Christ dude...he's a smaller HWT. He's ONE example of a guy I cited who would have benefited from a 220 weight.

You used his weight at the B1Gs last year. I pointed out that he had to go on a 12,000-calorie-a-day diet to be able to get up to 255 and it was bigger than he'd EVER been in College by far. That's it. 

I'm also not sure why we're fixated on Hilger, but if he got down to 215 from NOT training, you don't think that'd probably have been a better weight for him than getting a belly and gaining 40 pounds?

Also, "trying to cite one example." How many examples do I need that he had to GOURGE himself to the point of him saying he'd RATHER cut weight than have to eat that much again so he could be a bigger HWT? Is that something where you expect 3-4 examples for a single Wrestler?

• Fire 1

5 hours ago, nhs67 said:

He's not super lean because he is a heavyweight, but he isn't too small for the weight.

Also, didn't say, "too small," I said he's a SMALL HWT. 

The kid himself literally talked about how miserable it was to get up to 255 and how he'd rather cut weight than do that...so I don't know why I'm even arguing this point.

• Fire 1