• Playwire Ad Area

Tom Ryan Great Recruiter Shitty Coach?

PortaJohn

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

I think at least one of Pletcher, Moore or Sasso probably wins in 2020.  But we’ll never know

Moore was a lock and has had Cormier levels of bad draws his whole career. When it’s his time at NCAAs covid happens. Finally gets the chance to shine at 92 this year and his body is ripped to shreds at the worst possible time.

• Fire 2

i am an idiot on the internet

11 hours ago, 1032004 said:

lol just because he’s not Cael doesn’t mean he’s “not good.”

They do seem to have a decent amount of guys that have their best years as freshmen (Martin, Tomasello), but they’ve also had guys steadily improve (Romero).  And Luke Pletcher from 2019 to 2020 might be one of the better 1 year improvements in recent memory.

While Martin and NaTo had best NCAA finish as freshman, there is no doubt they improved. This is especially true for Martin. He was substantially better by the end of his career. 

8 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

They have two #1 ranked recruiting classes competing this year, yet they are projected to finish eleventh. Perhaps after this tournament their projected finish will improve, but eleventh is rough given their recruiting.

When you loose Sammy Sasso before the season starts thats a big blow. Thankfully he survived the gun shot and is healing up. With 4 freshman starting and a true sophomore Mendez starting its easy to see the low ranking. But going toe to toe with some of the best teams in the country for 2 days should move them up to 7th or higher. They are a young team and the coaching staff has their work cut out for them. If they have no injurys and continue to improve my prediction is they will bring home a trophy in March. Will it be easy . No.

10 minutes ago, Paul158 said:

When you loose Sammy Sasso before the season starts thats a big blow. Thankfully he survived the gun shot and is healing up. With 4 freshman starting and a true sophomore Mendez starting its easy to see the low ranking. But going toe to toe with some of the best teams in the country for 2 days should move them up to 7th or higher. They are a young team and the coaching staff has their work cut out for them. If they have no injurys and continue to improve my prediction is they will bring home a trophy in March. Will it be easy . No.

The wild thing is Sasso and Mendez were not even part of either of those two #1 rated recruiting classes.

So you have Sasso, Mendez, AND two #1 rated classes. The Sasso situation is the most damaging. With him they are 10-13 points higher, a d in a podium spot.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

40 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

The wild thing is Sasso and Mendez were not even part of either of those two #1 rated recruiting classes.

So you have Sasso, Mendez, AND two #1 rated classes. The Sasso situation is the most damaging. With him they are 10-13 points higher, a d in a podium spot.

Was last year's freshman class at Ohio State not ranked number one? 

46 minutes ago, Fred said:

People seem to be suggesting that Ryan has out-recruited Cael and therefore….

Which Ohio state wrestlers did Cael really go after? Honest question, just a casual fan.

This doesn’t necessarily mean Cael was “really going after him,” but according to old Flo articles, Mendez had PSU in his top 5. Can’t find anything on Bouzakis but I seem to recall them being in on him too.  Not sure about Feldman.

Interesting tweet/post here looking back at that class:

1 hour ago, Fred said:

People seem to be suggesting that Ryan has out-recruited Cael and therefore….

Which Ohio state wrestlers did Cael really go after? Honest question, just a casual fan.

There was also Kerkvliet, who was on campus in Columbus but followed Snyder to PSU

4 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

Moore was a lock and has had Cormier levels of bad draws his whole career. When it’s his time at NCAAs covid happens. Finally gets the chance to shine at 92 this year and his body is ripped to shreds at the worst possible time.

Idk if 2020 was his time, Noah Adams was 32-0 with wins over 6 AAs and was wrestling a very high level all season. This is no disrespect to Moore but Adams had a funky style and I personally thought he was going to win it all that season

16 hours ago, PortaJohn said:

I am.  But I do honestly believe Tom Ryan isn't a good coach

He had Hofstra as a top ten program in the country.  His wrestlers have won World and Olympic Titles.  He coached a 4xNCAA champion.  He won a team title and several Big Ten titles.  

It's easy to see what someone is doing wrong when they're doing so much right.  

Also keep in mind that he's stuck coaching in the Cael Sanderson era.  Cael is our current coaching GOAT.  If not for Cael.....

Edited by silvermedal2
  • Fire 5

5 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Idk if 2020 was his time, Noah Adams was 32-0 with wins over 6 AAs and was wrestling a very high level all season. This is no disrespect to Moore but Adams had a funky style and I personally thought he was going to win it all that season

That is certainly an opinion.

i am an idiot on the internet

There is much and little to discuss in this thread. A bit of a comic anomaly...

17 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

They have two #1 ranked recruiting classes competing this year, yet they are projected to finish eleventh. Perhaps after this tournament their projected finish will improve, but eleventh is rough given their recruiting.

1.  2019 Two out of five. Right? I believe we listed the wrestlers and posted about it in another thread a day or so ago... :classic_huh:

2.  @Hammerlock3 gave the Buckeyes at least two compliments. That tells anyone who is anyone all they need to know.

On 12/2/2023 at 4:36 PM, PortaJohn said:

We have James Franklin

Kudos for that combined with the thread title...:classic_wink:

• Fire 2

14 hours ago, MPhillips said:

There is much and little to discuss in this thread. A bit of a comic anomaly...

1.  2019 Two out of five. Right? I believe we listed the wrestlers and posted about it in another thread a day or so ago... :classic_huh:

2.  @Hammerlock3 gave the Buckeyes at least two compliments. That tells anyone who is anyone all they need to know.

Kudos for that combined with the thread title...:classic_wink:

You finally commented!  Needed to raise the ante after your "slow morning" comment

I Don't Agree With What I Posted