• Playwire Ad Area

Tom Ryan Great Recruiter Shitty Coach?

PortaJohn

Looks like Ohio state is exceeding the experts' predictions thus far this year, rankings wise. So, why are so many Penn State wrestling fans so critical of anything Ohio State wrestling? They've got to be the most insecure fan base in sports

• Fire 6

16 minutes ago, Fred said:

Looks like Ohio state is exceeding the experts' predictions thus far this year, rankings wise. So, why are so many Penn State wrestling fans so critical of anything Ohio State wrestling? They've got to be the most insecure fan base in sports

Aww, Freddy you are projecting.

28 minutes ago, Fred said:

cinnabon is the most insecure fan in the world, don't know about the rest of the fan base.

Is tOSU doing well? mendez and demilio looked good.

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

Would be interesting to get some numbers on this but I think this sentiment is a little overblown. I don't follow the program assiduously, but I believe they have been hammered by injuries lately which could contribute to some of the top recruits having "down" performances.

On the other hand, Mendez is looking like the favorite to win the title, as of this moment at least.

• Fire 2

14 minutes ago, pokemonster said:

Turns out Knox was 1 pt shy of making the finals, so the kid had a great tourney. Bouzakis wasn't the only one upset by him. 

Apparently Knox bonused his way through 2 D3 tourneys last year as a high schooler.  He needs to hire Bo Bassett’s social media team

Edited by 1032004
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, Fred said:

Is Porta John a Penn State fan?

2 hours ago, Hammerlock3 said:

cinnabon is the most insecure fan in the world, don't know about the rest of the fan base.

Is tOSU doing well? mendez and demilio looked good.

With 4 freshman and a true sophomore. They are right in this team race. It was a good tournament. Mistakes were made . They will go back to Columbus and improve.  Unfortunately we lost Sasso for the year when some idiot shot him. I for one am glad he survived. This team is getting better by the week.

• Fire 3

45 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

I am.  But I do honestly believe Tom Ryan isn't a good coach

I'm a big fan Of Ohio State and Penn State. I'm from Ohio and my nephew who is from Ohio was a 2 time all-American for Penn State. What Cael and his coaching staff has done is amazing . Cael will surpass Dan Gable no doubt. Tom Ryan and his coaching staff have done a tremendous job. Its just when you try to compare there is good size gap. But trust me there are a lot of division ! teams who would love to have the success that Tom Ryan and his coaching staff has had the last few years.

• Fire 3

1 hour ago, PortaJohn said:

I am.  But I do honestly believe Tom Ryan isn't a good coach

lol just because he’s not Cael doesn’t mean he’s “not good.”

They do seem to have a decent amount of guys that have their best years as freshmen (Martin, Tomasello), but they’ve also had guys steadily improve (Romero).  And Luke Pletcher from 2019 to 2020 might be one of the better 1 year improvements in recent memory.

• Fire 4

4 hours ago, Fred said:

By what measure… so that someone might evaluate your belief

They have two #1 ranked recruiting classes competing this year, yet they are projected to finish eleventh. Perhaps after this tournament their projected finish will improve, but eleventh is rough given their recruiting.

• Fire 1
  • Stalling 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

3 hours ago, 1032004 said:

lol just because he’s not Cael doesn’t mean he’s “not good.”

They do seem to have a decent amount of guys that have their best years as freshmen (Martin, Tomasello), but they’ve also had guys steadily improve (Romero).  And Luke Pletcher from 2019 to 2020 might be one of the better 1 year improvements in recent memory.

The pletcher bump probably had more to do with McKenna graduating and pletcher not having to make that brutal cut to 133 anymore 

• Fire 2

Well you can make the case they haven’t had an ncaa champ since 2018 when Synder won his 3rd and they haven’t had a champ not named Synder since Myles Martin in 2016 , that’s a pretty serious drought and this year doesn’t look great either , guys still don’t improve on bottom which has been an issue for a long time but Tom Ryan built that program up to championship level so no way you can say he’s a bad coach but maybe his message has gotten stale , maybe they haven’t evolved in other areas of training like Penn State or maybe they need to bring in a big name outsider as an assistant but if they want to win another title and battle it out with PSU again they need to do something different 

Once you compare them to anyone other then PSU and Iowa they are elite as it gets still. 60 something programs would kill to be on Ohio states level year in and year out and would jump on Tom Ryan in a minute if he ever left.

• Fire 2

5 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Well you can make the case they haven’t had an ncaa champ since 2018 when Synder won his 3rd and they haven’t had a champ not named Synder since Myles Martin in 2016 , that’s a pretty serious drought and this year doesn’t look great either , guys still don’t improve on bottom which has been an issue for a long time but Tom Ryan built that program up to championship level so no way you can say he’s a bad coach but maybe his message has gotten stale , maybe they haven’t evolved in other areas of training like Penn State or maybe they need to bring in a big name outsider as an assistant but if they want to win another title and battle it out with PSU again they need to do something different 

Once you compare them to anyone other then PSU and Iowa they are elite as it gets still. 60 something programs would kill to be on Ohio states level year in and year out and would jump on Tom Ryan in a minute if he ever left.

I think at least one of Pletcher, Moore or Sasso probably wins in 2020.  But we’ll never know

• Fire 2