• Playwire Ad Area

Christian Pyles as Move-by-Move Matside Announcer

KennyEBHS

1 minute ago, KennyEBHS said:

What exactly does that mean? He calls the matches like a play-by-play announcer

it means that he shouldnt be calling it as if it was radio. We can see everything, he should be making tactical insights and sussing out the narratives within the match. 

• Fire 1

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

10 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

it means that he shouldnt be calling it as if it was radio. We can see everything, he should be making tactical insights and sussing out the narratives within the match. 

I disagree. That's for the color guy. Yesterday it was David Taylor. Pyles is the play-by-play!

• Fire 1

20 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

Been saying this about many video based wrestling commentary for years.  Those watching know the basics of the sport.  We don’t need the play by play especially when much of it doesn’t even end in a point.  I’d prefer more wrestler background info, keys to the match for each wrestler, and strategy adjustments as the points go up with the occasional move hype when a big point shift occurs. 

Edited by MadMardigain
  • Fire 1

48 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

I don’t mind the play by play.  Sometimes I’ll keep some wrestling on in the background while I’m doing something else so appreciate the play by play letting me know it’s time to pay attention

• Fire 1

5 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I don’t mind the play by play.  Sometimes I’ll keep some wrestling on in the background while I’m doing something else so appreciate the play by play letting me know it’s time to pay attention

I should admit that even though I'm right I would not deny that its a cynical position on my part.

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

So all sports should get rid of play by play guys on TV broadcasts?

well would you accept that as wrestling fans we hardly ever have the luxury of a competent play by play guy next to a competent color guy. We have to accept hybrids, and sense we can generally see whats going on the hybrids should skew towards color, which pyles is horrible at.

I'd also submit that he is bad at play by play. He doesn't have a good command of the language, he spams the word "good" to add the illusion of him evaluating anything as opposed to just saying collar tie when he sees a collar tie.

Again call me cynical if you want but i just don't approve.

• Fire 1

17 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

well would you accept that as wrestling fans we hardly ever have the luxury of a competent play by play guy next to a competent color guy. We have to accept hybrids, and sense we can generally see whats going on the hybrids should skew towards color, which pyles is horrible at.

I'd also submit that he is bad at play by play. He doesn't have a good command of the language, he spams the word "good" to add the illusion of him evaluating anything as opposed to just saying collar tie when he sees a collar tie.

Again call me cynical if you want but i just don't approve.

I think he’s OK but I can accept an argument that he’s bad at PBP.

But I disagree that color is more important than PBP

• Fire 1

I don't get the really strong anti-Pyles sentiment.  He's knowledgable and passionate about the sport, and especially the hundreds of wrestlers who inhabit it, including their past matches, tendencies on the mat, records, and so on.   I suspect some folks don't like his asides, wisecracks, and personal opinions, and maybe some of that comes from his FRL FLO show.  Who knows?  I tend to prefer when he is commenting on a match with someone else as well: Bader, Taylor, Spey, etc. since can balance each other out: PBP vs. color commentary, etc.   

• Fire 2

2 minutes ago, SocraTease said:

I don't get the really strong anti-Pyles sentiment.  He's knowledgable and passionate about the sport, and especially the hundreds of wrestlers who inhabit it, including their past matches, tendencies on the mat, records, and so on.   I suspect some folks don't like his asides, wisecracks, and personal opinions, and maybe some of that comes from his FRL FLO show.  Who knows?  I tend to prefer when he is commenting on a match with someone else as well: Bader, Taylor, Spey, etc. since can balance each other out: PBP vs. color commentary, etc.   

i have to add, his asides, wisecracks and personal opinions are completely lame and predicated on avoiding controversey.