• Playwire Ad Area

Republican Oversight Committee rejects Hunter Biden's request to give his testimony in public

VakAttack

22 minutes ago, ThreePointTakedown said:

That assumes you believe it isn't already. But for clarification, tell us exactly when it WAS great and what you're hoping to change or bring back? 

The beautiful thing about the slogan is its positivity.  Because 'great' is an abstraction, it means whatever you and I want it to mean to us as individuals.

Why do people reframe MAGA as MABA, or 'Make America Bad Again?'

9 minutes ago, WrestlingRasta said:

Haven't seen that one before.  Is it new or have I just missed it?

When has American been bad?  I mean, there always has been and always will be aspects of America that is bad, but.....??

We can talk about 'great' without whatabouts.  I made up MABA just now because criticisms of MAGA are whataboutism.

If I say America was great when Congress voted across party lines in the 60s, a hater would say what about

• Civil Rights
  • Assasinations of JFK, RFK, MLK
  • Vietnam, Cold War

If I say the Roaring 20s were great for the economy, a hater would say what about

• inequality
  • 1929 bubble burst
  • prohibition and crime

A few years ago... five recruiters contacted me weekly about jobs... now it's maybe one per month.

If I say the 90s were great because I could ride my bike all over town as a child and all anyone worried about was being home before dark, a hater would say what about...

It's a damn shame we can't get people to acknowledge 'great' without reframing it to 'bad.'

• Fire 1

11 minutes ago, jross said:

We can talk about 'great' without whatabouts.  I made up MABA just now because criticisms of MAGA are whataboutism.

If I say America was great when Congress voted across party lines in the 60s, a hater would say what about

• Civil Rights
  • Assasinations of JFK, RFK, MLK
  • Vietnam, Cold War

If I say the Roaring 20s were great for the economy, a hater would say what about

• inequality
  • 1929 bubble burst
  • prohibition and crime

A few years ago... five recruiters contacted me weekly about jobs... now it's maybe one per month.

If I say the 90s were great because I could ride my bike all over town as a child and all anyone worried about was being home before dark, a hater would say what about...

It's a damn shame we can't get people to acknowledge 'great' without reframing it to 'bad.'

That’s where I say, there always has been and always will be ‘bad aspects’, but America as a whole….nah. 

Gotta stay on our toes. 

2 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Make America Great Again is a cynical platitude created by one guy to manipulate millions for the benefit of one guy.  It is conservative hogwash, pining for a distant past that never was.  We need to move forward.

I don't think of it as a slogan at all, but a moniker for a group of people who created and embrace the moniker, going as far as directly on the record of the house floor.   So I kinda laugh when people act like it is some kind of action plan.

Edited by WrestlingRasta

2 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Make America Great Again is a cynical platitude created by one guy to manipulate millions for the benefit of one guy.  It is conservative hogwash, pining for a distant past that never was.  We need to move forward.

Same thought for:

A time for greatness

We Can Do Better

1 minute ago, Offthemat said:

It doesn’t stop at insult, it is intended to dehumanize, instead of deplorables, cult of personality, bitter clingers, not your dad’s republicans.  

People literally have lost their s#$% when people wear the red hat....cracked me up that something like that would trigger people to the point of anger/violence.

• Fire 1

9 minutes ago, Bigbrog said:

I kinda laugh when people use the slogan as a way to insult people

A) How is using a moniker that was created and embraced by the people referrenced and their followers an insult to them?  

2) Spoken from someone so clean from insulting people!   (you should have started with LOL again)

Edited by WrestlingRasta

10 minutes ago, WrestlingRasta said:

A) How is using a moniker that was created and embraced by the people referrenced and their followers an insult to them?  

2) Spoken from someone so clean from insulting people!   (you should have started with LOL again)

Because you use it to insult people, as do others...I think it is stupid and childish...regardless carry on Rasta

And I could start most of my posts with LOL as that is usually how I am feeling about what I read on here...and of course I have insulted people on here...never said I hadn't...I find it funny what people try and "use" to insult people...what I say about "MAGA" as an insult, I could say about the term "libtard"...both childish terms...but again, whatever, people keep on keeping on

8 minutes ago, Bigbrog said:

Because you use it to insult people, as do others...I think it is stupid and childish...regardless carry on Rasta

And I could start most of my posts with LOL as that is usually how I am feeling about what I read on here...and of course I have insulted people on here...never said I hadn't...I find it funny what people try and "use" to insult people...what I say about "MAGA" as an insult, I could say about the term "libtard"...both childish terms...but again, whatever, people keep on keeping on

So to clear up any confusion, I don't use it to insult anyone.  I use it to call out BS I see that comes from the throws of MAGA (I suddenly just had a sense of deja-vu).  If you want to decide in your own mind what is going on in someone else's mind and what their intentions are you are welcome to, if it makes you feel better I don't want to keep a brother down, but reality doesn't work that way.  It is however a common characteristic in the MAGA environment.  (Hopefully you didn't receive that as too insulting)

What if Trump said these?

• "New Birth of Freedom" - Abraham Lincoln (1864)
  • "Ma, Ma, Where's My Pa?" - James Blaine (1884)
  • "America First" - Woodrow Wilson (1916)
  • "Keep on the Sunny Side" - Warren G. Harding (1920)
  • "Return to Normalcy" - Warren G. Harding (1920)
  • "America: First, Last, and Always" - Calvin Coolidge (1924)
  • "A Chicken in Every Pot and a Car in Every Garage" - Herbert Hoover (1928)
  • "Peace, Prosperity, and Progress" - Herbert Hoover (1928)
  • "A New Deal for the American People" - Franklin D. Roosevelt (1932)
  • "The Buck Stops Here" - Harry S. Truman (1948)
  • "A Time for Greatness" - Richard Nixon (1960)
  • "The New Frontier" - John F. Kennedy (1960)
  • "Stand Up for America" - Hubert Humphrey (1968)
  • "Let's Get This Country Moving Again" - George McGovern (1972)
  • "Let's Make America Great Again" - Ronald Reagan (1980)
  • "Putting People First" - Bill Clinton (1992)
  • "Believe in a Better America" - George W. Bush (1992)
  • "Let's Make History Again" - Bill Clinton (1996)
  • "Renewing America's Promise" - Barack Obama (2008)
  • "Country First" - John McCain (2008)
  • "Believe in America" - Mitt Romney (2012)
  • "Restore Our Future" - Super PAC supporting Mitt Romney (2012)
  • "An America We Can Believe In" - Barack Obama (2012)
  • "Make America Great Again" - Donald Trump (2016)
  • "Restore the American Dream for Hardworking Families" - Hillary Clinton (2016)
  • "Keep America Great" - Donald Trump (2020)
  • "Rebuilding the Road to Greatness" - Joe Biden (2020)
  • "Build Back Better" - Joe Biden (2020)

Hater says

• "Build Back Better than what?  Is Trump just going to throw some 'better' bricks at our issues and hope they magically fix themselves?"
  • "Oh, so Trump is wants to 'Restore the American Dream for Hardworking Families,' huh? Sounds heartwarming, but what about the single folks trying to make ends meet? Are they not dreaming of a better America, too? What about families that might not be the hardest workers? Do they get left out in the cold? Let's not forget those with disabilities – are they not part of the American Dream? It's like Trumpers are handing out dreams exclusively to hardworking families and leaving the rest of us to fend for ourselves. Where's the dream love for everyone else?"
  • Fire 1