• Playwire Ad Area

Gabe Arnold

nhs67

12 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Redshirts occur for various reason.

I'm pretty sure PSU redshirts kids with both short term and and long term team goals in mind.  (Especially now with the upcoming logjam at multiple weights).  Look at Zain: Started out redshirting as a freshman; they pulled it... only for him to redshirt the next year.  It was based on team needs.

Iowa has said they pull redshirts 'if the kid is ready' and can help them.

O'Toole would have redshirted as a freshman if it weren't a "free year."

I'm honestly not sure how much academics play into it these days.  The kid was accepted to the school, the athletes get tons of support if they need it academically. (More than the average student has access to)

I think most coaches try to limit true freshman competitions the first semester to maintain eligibility for redshirts, at least until grades are posted, so they can be SURE that kids are taking advantage of the available support when necessary. There are obviously some exceptions, and individuals have varying degrees of academic readiness when they show up on campus. This focus goes largely unnoticed when it is successful. Different programs have different comfort levels with life balance issues, to be sure. 

19 hours ago, MNRodent said:

Maybe he is using reverse psychology, and he really is going up while saying that he isn't. 🤔

Ha, maybe.  The weird thing to me is he said he didn't know he was wrestling 184 until Tom told him the day before.  Does this tweet/post mean that if Tom says he's doing it again he'll say no?

28 minutes ago, Tigerfan said:

My understanding is that redshirting is primarily driven by academic caution rather than wrestling acumen and has been for a long time. Doing things the “right” way off the mat is a necessary precursor to D1 success for most. Establishing good academic and social habits. Wrestling improvements happen in the practice room, which redshirts continue to do anyway. 

I think it's a little bit of both.    There are few guys capable of winning a title as a freshman (if ever of course).    Even guys like Zain and Nick Lee likely could have benefitted from a redshirt from the wrestling-standpoint.

I'm sure Arnold thinks he can, but let's be honest, super slim chance he beats Starocci.    Seems like there's at least a 50/50 chance Starocci is not back next year.   Lewis and Griffith are done as well.  If his goal is 4 titles, he should probably redshirt this year.

On 11/28/2023 at 6:11 AM, Wrestleknownothing said:

He pinned Labriola. Come on, now you are doing a Jimmy Cinnabon tribute.

Sure in the sense he laid on top of a man who threw himself on his back like a fish. It wasn't like he worked for and earned a pin. He went fishing and the fish jumped in his lap. Quite the sight but not impressive fishing.

• Fire 2

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

I think it's a little bit of both.    There are few guys capable of winning a title as a freshman (if ever of course).    Even guys like Zain and Nick Lee likely could have benefitted from a redshirt from the wrestling-standpoint.

I'm sure Arnold thinks he can, but let's be honest, super slim chance he beats Starocci.    Seems like there's at least a 50/50 chance Starocci is not back next year.   Lewis and Griffith are done as well.  If his goal is 4 titles, he should probably redshirt this year.

In a perfect world, meaning no injuries - there is zero chance Arnold beats Sta(l)rocci this year at 174lbs in NCAA Collegiate Folkstyle wrestling.

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

40 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

In a perfect world, meaning no injuries - there is zero chance Arnold beats Sta(l)rocci this year at 174lbs in NCAA Collegiate Folkstyle wrestling.

I almost said no chance when I wrote that, but after seeing Vito lose to Crookham, never say never.

On 11/27/2023 at 9:47 PM, Wrestleknownothing said:

It is interesting that you say that. I have heard a few PSU wrestlers say the coaching staff there builds around their individual goals.

Was that Nevills or Beard that said that? Lol

I get what you’re saying and was just making a joke… Penn State does seem to have the philosophy of helping individuals with their own goals (freestyle, mma, etc) which helps with recruiting tremendously. But the team does still come first. As others have mentioned, this strategy is a means to help the team, and as my joke implies, no one individual is above the team at Penn State either. 

On 11/27/2023 at 10:49 PM, Pish said:

Because wrestling is an individual sport and the most important thing is the individual reaching his goal. 

On 11/27/2023 at 10:52 PM, 1032004 said:

Unless we care about duals now, Vak’s statement is true for the team anyway.  Arnold probably only scores a few points at 184 this year, and then you lose a year from him

On 11/27/2023 at 10:56 PM, VakAttack said:

The name of the game is recruiting and you get better results with champs and high AAs, and you do that by putting the best guys at their optimal weights, and the other guys fill in. I think Gabe Arnold has the potential to be special, whereas the evidence says Kennedy is good but not special.

Late to respond but I agree with all these although I do wish our emphasis was on duals more. I still believe the team comes before any individual, but I agree the best way to build the team (and help with recruiting) is to do right by each individual and help them reach their goals.

9 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

Was that Nevills or Beard that said that? Lol

I get what you’re saying and was just making a joke… Penn State does seem to have the philosophy of helping individuals with their own goals (freestyle, mma, etc) which helps with recruiting tremendously. But the team does still come first. As others have mentioned, this strategy is a means to help the team, and as my joke implies, no one individual is above the team at Penn State either. 

I'm not aware of PSU actively helping guys become MMA fighters?

58 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I almost said no chance when I wrote that, but after seeing Vito lose to Crookham, never say never.

I said in a perfect world.

Injuries exist, period.

Vito is out because of such a thing and has been since that match.

As I said... there isn't a soul on this planet that is or could be wrestling NCAA collegiate Folkstyle wrestling this year that would beat a healthy Sta(l)rocci.

27 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

I said in a perfect world.

Injuries exist, period.

Vito is out because of such a thing and has been since that match.

As I said... there isn't a soul on this planet that is or could be wrestling NCAA collegiate Folkstyle wrestling this year that would beat a healthy Sta(l)rocci.

at 174 lbs

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

17 minutes ago, jchapman said:

at 174 lbs

That should have gone without saying, although thank you for saying it.

Sta(l)rocci isn't going to weigh in at any weight other than 174lbs for NCAA Collegiate Folkstyle wrestling.

• Fire 1

3 hours ago, forkemaz said:

Sure in the sense he laid on top of a man who threw himself on his back like a fish. It wasn't like he worked for and earned a pin. He went fishing and the fish jumped in his lap. Quite the sight but not impressive fishing.

Other than recognizing and floating Labs Granby/somersault, stopping it for backs and the pin.

That might be the sense you were explaining.

1 minute ago, OMW said:

Other than recognizing and floating Labs Granby/somersault, stopping it for backs and the pin.

That might be the sense you were explaining.

Sure if that's the credit people are fighting for. He had the ability to see a man rolling, let him roll, see the roll was middle school flopping, and lay on top of him. I thought we were arguing over wether it was impressive, which it isnt.

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, 1032004 said:

Nickal and Cassar train at NLWC pretty regularly it seems.

My point is that I don't think the wrestlers are practicing striking and kimuras during PSU practices.  They can certainly roll with MMA fighters in practice, and work striking on their own time (maybe), but probably not something Cael encourages on his time or dollar.

1 minute ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

My point is that I don't think the wrestlers are practicing striking and kimuras during PSU practices.  They can certainly roll with MMA fighters in practice, and work striking on their own time (maybe), but probably not something Cael encourages on his time or dollar.

Well I think there's a difference between "helping guys become MMA fighters" and "practicing striking during PSU practices."

I mean there's also an MMA gym in the same parking lot as Taylor's M2 building...I bet Cael's been in there.

3 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Well I think there's a difference between "helping guys become MMA fighters" and "practicing striking during PSU practices."

I mean there's also an MMA gym in the same parking lot as Taylor's M2 building...I bet Cael's been in there.

I'm sure he's all about helping them be MMA fighters... after they've used up their eligibility.

14 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

I'm sure he's all about helping them be MMA fighters... after they've used up their eligibility.

Agreed.  I imagine he may not have been super thrilled that Nickal didn't wrestle longer, but probably better to have him training MMA in State College than wrestling somewhere else.

• Fire 1

3 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

I'm not aware of PSU actively helping guys become MMA fighters?

Yeah I meant it’s pretty clear that PSU is a place that a blue chip recruit can go to to reach their long term goals whether that be freestyle, mma, or just college. Those goals may be met through NLWC or other avenues, but it’s still a reason kids attend PSU. I think that’s a big element to their recruiting 

3 hours ago, forkemaz said:

Sure if that's the credit people are fighting for. He had the ability to see a man rolling, let him roll, see the roll was middle school flopping, and lay on top of him. I thought we were arguing over wether it was impressive, which it isnt.

Maybe Mehki should have been that unimpressive in the NCAA semi final, cause then he'd have won. But no, he let Labs get to a leg pass and he lost in SV scramble. 

5 hours ago, 1032004 said:

starocci's style is why i would say that comparison doesnt hold. as good as vito is he has a pretty specific way one wrestling, so bad style match ups can happen. Starocci is the best handfighter, hard to take down, never gets ridden, rides as long he wants...

long story short, its just so much easier to imagine vito getting upset than starocci

• Fire 2

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."