• Playwire Ad Area

Gabe Arnold

nhs67

2 minutes ago, poorwrestler said:

He just tweeted it at Willie this morning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right, but both links posted were not to the proper link.

No worries, I did find it - see my edited post.

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

1 hour ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

No one is as obsessed with semantics as I 

16 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

The hell it aint. There is an entire industry built around that fact.

Are we talking leXical semantics here?

Edited by ionel
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Only half-joking here, I imagine Tom might not be happy about him letting his secrets out

39 minutes ago, MNRodent said:

Maybe he is using reverse psychology, and he really is going up while saying that he isn't. 🤔

27 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Or maybe he wants us to think that he is using reverse psychology?

Maybe he is going down to 165?  🤔

28 minutes ago, poorwrestler said:

Though, if Kennedy were to hit the portal, SDSU is most likely landing spot. Went to high school with the Berge’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cook is on his last year of eligibility now... would make sense.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

if he's not going up, here is a fun question. howmany more points at NCAAs would Tom accept in order to justify benching kennedy as opposed to redshirting arnold? Meaning he never would if he knew the pay off was 0. I'm thinking the answer is 2. Redshirting is losing currency with the elite recruits as we're all aware. 

Edited by Hammerlock3
  • Fire 1

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

5 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

if he's not going up, here is a fun question. howmany more points at NCAAs would Tom accept in order to justify benching kennedy as opposed to redshirting arnold? Meaning he never would if he knew the pay off was 0. I'm thinking the answer is 2. Redshirting is losing currency with the elite recruits as we're all aware. 

Good question. I think it would be real tough to start a redshirt conversation right now. So I think the answer depends on what the plan was before the season started. 

• Fire 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

2 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Good question. I think it would be real tough to start a redshirt conversation right now. So I think the answer depends on what the plan was before the season started. 

thats a great point. As little as we fans can understand the situation is heavily impacted by brands' relationship with Arnold/kennedy.

If arnold wants to redshirt after some of his antics on social media, he's one of the grosser personalities in college wrestling.

• Fire 1

8 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

thats a great point. As little as we fans can understand the situation is heavily impacted by brands' relationship with Arnold/kennedy.

If arnold wants to redshirt after some of his antics on social media, he's one of the grosser personalities in college wrestling.

What antics? Calling out Starocci? Starocci who has flirted with retirement on social media, called out Sidakov (whom he will never wrestle), and called out numerous UFC fighters that he will never face? 

1 minute ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

What antics? Calling out Starocci? Starocci who has flirted with retirement on social media, called out Sidakov (whom he will never wrestle), and called out numerous UFC fighters that he will never face? 

yeah that. I think its a fair criticism on my part. Just because starocci has clownish tendencies it doesn't mean other people are justified to antagonize him in equivalent ways right?

• Fire 1

5 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

yeah that. I think its a fair criticism on my part. Just because starocci has clownish tendencies it doesn't mean other people are justified to antagonize him in equivalent ways right?

No, I don't like it in either case.  TBH I wasn't sure if Arnold had done something else.  

Neither is ready for the people they have antagonized online.  While Starocci may well bonus Arnold, I think Starocci would be in a lot more pain if he faced any of those UFC fighters anytime soon!

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

No, I don't like it in either case.  TBH I wasn't sure if Arnold had done something else.  

Neither is ready for the people they have antagonized online.  While Starocci may well bonus Arnold, I think Starocci would be in a lot more pain if he faced any of those UFC fighters anytime soon!

cool, just making sure you weren't trying to celebrate and detest the same thing in the same statement.

• Fire 1

My understanding is that redshirting is primarily driven by academic caution rather than wrestling acumen and has been for a long time. Doing things the “right” way off the mat is a necessary precursor to D1 success for most. Establishing good academic and social habits. Wrestling improvements happen in the practice room, which redshirts continue to do anyway. 

1 minute ago, Tigerfan said:

My understanding is that redshirting is primarily driven by academic caution rather than wrestling acumen and has been for a long time. Doing things the “right” way off the mat is a necessary precursor to D1 success for most. Establishing good academic and social habits. Wrestling improvements happen in the practice room, which redshirts continue to do anyway. 

Redshirts occur for various reason.

I'm pretty sure PSU redshirts kids with both short term and and long term team goals in mind.  (Especially now with the upcoming logjam at multiple weights).  Look at Zain: Started out redshirting as a freshman; they pulled it... only for him to redshirt the next year.  It was based on team needs.

Iowa has said they pull redshirts 'if the kid is ready' and can help them.

O'Toole would have redshirted as a freshman if it weren't a "free year."

I'm honestly not sure how much academics play into it these days.  The kid was accepted to the school, the athletes get tons of support if they need it academically. (More than the average student has access to)