• Playwire Ad Area

Senior Nationals (US Olympic Trials Qualifier) - Dec. 15-17

SocraTease

1 minute ago, SocraTease said:

Why not?  Because he would be small? Perhaps.  As I see it, though, the problem is that he has really filled out as a 70KG guy and won a world championship and a silver medal at that weight.   If he shrinks his body down, he's going to lose a lot of muscle mass and that could hurt him if he goes back to 70KG and continues to compete.  If he goes up, yes, it's a long shot to make the team, but he can come back down more easily to 70KG and won't have to starve himself in the process.

he has no change of medaling at the olympics at 74, none, thats what this is about.

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

Just now, SocraTease said:

Well, the harder task might be making the team at 74KG.  If he was able to do that, I bet he could medal.

yeah but thats like saying if drake ayala makes the team at 86k he could medal. you have to invert reality to establish the premise.

• Fire 1

6 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

yeah but thats like saying if drake ayala makes the team at 86k he could medal. you have to invert reality to establish the premise.

That just is not true.

Drake Ayala is 5'5" tall and wrestles 125lbs.  125lbs to 86 KG is ~65lbs.  Ayala also has zero Senior Worlds Gold medals.

Zain Retherford was the largest looking 70 KG guy in the bracket last year.  He is 5'6" tall and wrestles 70 KG.  70 KG to 74 KG is ~9lbs.  Zain has a Senior Worlds Gold as well as a Silver.

You are comparing motor oil and Grape Juice, mate.

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

7 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

That just is not true.

Drake Ayala is 5'5" tall and wrestles 125lbs.  125lbs to 86 KG is ~65lbs.  Ayala also has zero Senior Worlds Gold medals.

Zain Retherford was the largest looking 70 KG guy in the bracket last year.  He is 5'6" tall and wrestles 70 KG.  70 KG to 74 KG is ~9lbs.  Zain has a Senior Worlds Gold as well as a Silver.

You are comparing motor oil and Grape Juice, mate.

no you just don't understant the argument. He is saying that if an impossible thing happens other things are possible...thats obvious and pointless to point out. 

Thats why i picked a 125 pounder who won't even qualify as opposed to legit long shot. The example was self evidently absurd to serve a deeper point.  

Edited by Hammerlock3

6 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

no you just don't understant the argument. He is saying that if an impossible thing happens other things are possible...thats obvious and pointless to point out. 

Thats why i picked a 125 pounder who won't even qualify as opposed to legit long shot. The example was self evidently absurd to serve a deeper point.  

Zain at 74 KG is not an impossible thing, though.  It is a likely thing in which he has a huge advantage via sitting out until the semi-finals.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

24 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Zain at 74 KG is not an impossible thing, though.  It is a likely thing in which he has a huge advantage via sitting out until the semi-finals.

My own view is that it is possible but probably unlikely given that (a) he would be moving up in weight and giving up size; (b) he would very likely have to first get past either Borroughs or Nolf (who should be seeded on opposite sides); and then, if that happened (c) get past Dake in the best of two of three.   

My initial point was more about what happens after the Olympics. Zain's best weight is  clearly 70KG, where he has proven to be a force, and it would also be good for team USA to be there.  And if he goes up, he won't shed muscle and strength which he would likely lose going down to 65KG (which is about 6 pounds less that what he competed at during college.)

But, hey, it is of course up to none of us, and I think he has a sense of whether he can hang with Nolf and maybe even Dake or not since those guys have been teammates and in the NLWC room for a while as well as on the same training teams.    He's also lost to Nick Lee at 65KG  the last time they wrestled, and Bartlett will be there as well because he qualified for trials today.

As someone pointed out on the PSU forum:

86kg Olympic team trials will have at least 5 past ,current or future Nittany Lions. DT, Brooks, Hall, Dean and Mirasola. Dean and Mirasola are all but guaranteed a spot as McFadden suffered a nasty ankle injury in his semi against Dieringer and is almost certain to forfeit out.

To which we can add:

74KG will likely have around 5 or more guys associated with NLWC: Dake, Nolf, Messenbrink, maybe Zain (if he goes up), maybe Starrocci, likely "Bear Claw" and/or Facundo who are in consolation semis.

57KG:  Gilman, Nico, possibly Lilledahl

65 KG: Nick Lee, Bartlett, Zain (if he descends)

97KG: Snyder

125: no one yet ... Kerklivet if he wins NCAAs

Plus PSU has "home field" advantage since trials are at Penn State

• Fire 1

As someone pointed out on the PSU forum:
86kg Olympic team trials will have at least 5 past ,current or future Nittany Lions. DT, Brooks, Hall, Dean and Mirasola. Dean and Mirasola are all but guaranteed a spot as McFadden suffered a nasty ankle injury in his semi against Dieringer and is almost certain to forfeit out.
To which we can add:
74KG will likely have around 5 or more guys associated with NLWC: Dake, Nolf, Messenbrink, maybe Zain (if he goes up), maybe Starrocci, likely "Bear Claw" and/or Facundo who are in consolation semis.
57KG:  Gilman, Nico, possibly Lilledahl
65 KG: Nick Lee, Bartlett, Zain (if he descends)
97KG: Snyder
125: no one yet ... Kerklivet if he wins NCAAs
Plus PSU has "home field" advantage since trials are at Penn State

They’ll have at least one of Facundo/Claw. If they both lose in consi semis, they wrestle for 5th, and winner qualifies. Losers of bouts 613 and 614 go to bout 505, for 5th.

NLWC also has Josh Rodriguez facing Liam Cronin in a 57kg consi semi, opposite Lilledahl. If he wins one of the next two, he’s in. Same with Lilledahl, obviously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When are the Men's Freestyle finals scheduled today?  When I searched online I found this (Flo Wrestling😞

Session II: Championship Finals 

2:00 PM – 3:30 PM – (1 MAT) 

• Men’s Freestyle (all weights) 
  • Women’s Freestyle (62 KG, 68 KG,76 KG)

But I also found this (USA Wrestling Events😞

Women’s Freestyle (62 KG, 68 KG,76 KG) 
Men’s Freestyle (57 KG, 65 KG, 74 KG, 86 KG, 97 KG,125 KG) 
Championship Finals 
1:00 PM – 2:30 PM – (1 MAT) 

Is it 1pm local time and 2pm Eastern?  Or was there a schedule change after one of these was posted?

12 minutes ago, lightweight said:

When are the Men's Freestyle finals scheduled today?  When I searched online I found this (Flo Wrestling😞

Session II: Championship Finals 

2:00 PM – 3:30 PM – (1 MAT) 

• Men’s Freestyle (all weights) 
  • Women’s Freestyle (62 KG, 68 KG,76 KG)

But I also found this (USA Wrestling Events😞

Women’s Freestyle (62 KG, 68 KG,76 KG) 
Men’s Freestyle (57 KG, 65 KG, 74 KG, 86 KG, 97 KG,125 KG) 
Championship Finals 
1:00 PM – 2:30 PM – (1 MAT) 

Is it 1pm local time and 2pm Eastern?  Or was there a schedule change after one of these was posted?

1 - 2:30 central per Flo.

• Fire 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

1 hour ago, lightweight said:

Thanks.  I want to make sure that I don't miss the 57 finals, aka "The Battle of Franklin Regional High School".  

You better hope there isn't a takedown and series of laces during commercials.

i am an idiot on the internet

8 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

You better hope there isn't a takedown and series of laces during commercials.

I haven't seen a single Spencer match, if he wants some fan support he needs to slow it down or ask Flo to turn of the ads during his match.