• Playwire Ad Area

Senior Nationals (US Olympic Trials Qualifier) - Dec. 15-17

SocraTease

1 minute ago, Hammerlock3 said:

the comparison is still interesting. Suriano has better position, metcalf more offensive...interesting to think how they benefit or suffer from free vs folk circumstances.....suriano wrestles a very modern stiyle, metcalf very mid 90s...hard to gather my thoughts.

Theyre both super solid, physical guys, super strong positionally, Metcalf just didn't stop. 
Theres a lot of positionally solid guys I couldve used. 
I just think of 1pt wins/losses and Metcalf immediately pops into my mind.... 
I just wish Nicky S stayed on the gas a little more. If he'd tech all the non-contenders, I'd feel better, but he's going to win or lose by a takedown, and it's too much fire for me to play with 

2 minutes ago, Spladle08 said:

Richards- I dont want 
Suriano- I'll accept but meh, won't be enthused. 
Vito, Gilman, Fix, Lee...... I'm an Oklahoman so "Go Fix" but regardless of who gets the spot, I favor them all vs the reigning world champ.  (I genuinely wouldn't be bothered by any of them) ..... 
Clearly a Lee who beats the domestic field would be a force. (But we'll see) 

I want to fanboy Lee, but he has a lot ? floating around him...

• Fire 1

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

Just now, Hammerlock3 said:

I want to fanboy Lee, but he has a lot ? floating around him...

Yea, it's like: He never competes. 
He's always injured. 
Nico was right there with him 
Last big moment Ramos put it on him . 

I wanna believe he techs Uguev for absolutely no reason. 

4 minutes ago, Spladle08 said:

Theyre both super solid, physical guys, super strong positionally, Metcalf just didn't stop. 
Theres a lot of positionally solid guys I couldve used. 
I just think of 1pt wins/losses and Metcalf immediately pops into my mind.... 
I just wish Nicky S stayed on the gas a little more. If he'd tech all the non-contenders, I'd feel better, but he's going to win or lose by a takedown, and it's too much fire for me to play with 

do you know how I would descibe it, suriano as a little dake sprinkled in. metcalf had close matches for sure but spititually seemed wed to an aggressive style. Suriano is a little more "i hate losing more than i like winning"

• Fire 1

8 minutes ago, Spladle08 said:

Richards- I dont want 
Suriano- I'll accept but meh, won't be enthused. 
Vito, Gilman, Fix, Lee...... I'm an Oklahoman so "Go Fix" but regardless of who gets the spot, I favor them all vs the reigning world champ.  (I genuinely wouldn't be bothered by any of them) ..... 
Clearly a Lee who beats the domestic field would be a force. (But we'll see) 

Why don't you want Richards? He beat the best and it wasn't like they were Yianni "who scored what" type of matches. They were very handily decisive.

Is your concern that "Gilman would have done better at worlds?" Because if he couldn't get past domestic competition who beat the crap out of him 2 matches in a row when he had months to prepare, then what would your worlds expectations have been?

Edited by bnwtwg
holy grammar oh my
  • Fire 1

i am an idiot on the internet

Just now, Hammerlock3 said:

do you know how I would descibe it, suriano as a little dake sprinkled in. metcalf had close matches for sure but spititually seemed wed to an aggressive style. Suriano is a little more "i hate losing more than i like winning"

Dake has such a massive fan base, and is seen as such an intellectual. The thought absolutely crossed my mind (as close match lovers) but...  I refrained

1 minute ago, Spladle08 said:

Yea, it's like: He never competes. 
He's always injured. 
Nico was right there with him 
Last big moment Ramos put it on him . 

I wanna believe he techs Uguev for absolutely no reason. 

people hate it when i say this but i'll do it again. If you were ranking wrestlers by sheer toughness, let downs moments, body language, dealing with adversity, he's behind most of the other super top tier guys. 

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, bnwtwg said:

Why don't you want Richards? He beat the best and it wasn't like they were Yianni "who scored what" type of matches. They were very handily decisive.

Is your concern that "Gilman would have done better at worlds?" Because if he couldn't get past domestic competition who beat the crap out of him 2 matches in a row when he had months to prepare, then what would your worlds expectations have been?

100% fair, he did what he needed to and got the spot. I was happy for him. 
Why do I not want him as the rep? Because he can't medal, but I'm glad he made a world team, He's a solid dude 

• Fire 2

2 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

i think we are all waiting to see if richards can replicate that performance....his WTT was an anachronism.

• Fire 1

21 minutes ago, Spladle08 said:

100% fair, he did what he needed to and got the spot. I was happy for him. 
Why do I not want him as the rep? Because he can't medal, but I'm glad he made a world team, He's a solid dude 

What makes you say that? Gilman has missed making the team twice and has a DNP in '18. And if you want some anecdotal then Micic couldn't medal either and would never make the US team plus look at the bracket he has to go through at '23 worlds... right up until he won a world championship. Richards had a tough draw and didn't rise to the occasion, it happens at worlds but I would gladly be in a foxhole with him.

Gilman came on the scene. Micic burned down the scene. Why can't Richards do the same? Why can't *any* of our 57 front-runners do the same?

Oddly enough while Lee is the sexiest he is also the least proven by a country mile.

• Fire 1

3 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

What makes you say that? Gilman has missed making the team twice and has a DNP in '18. And if you want some anecdotal then Micic couldn't medal either and would never make the US team plus look at the bracket he has to go through at '23 worlds... right up until he won a world championship. Richards had a tough draw and didn't rise to the occasion, it happens at worlds but I would gladly be in a foxhole with him.

Gilman came on the scene. Micic burned down the scene. Why can't Richards do the same? Why can't *any* of our 57 front-runners do the same?

Oddly enough while Lee is the sexiest he is also the least proven by a country mile.

Agree 🙂 
Guess I have a mental hurdle. 
I just don't trust Richards. I like him more as a  Bridesmaid than a Bride. 

I'm sorry my friend. "Not My President" as the losing party  says. 
I just don't believe, I'm so sorry. I just always see him as a "tough out"  not an "Olympic Champion Hopeful"
I hope he makes the team, because I'd love for you to be so happy. 

Edited by Spladle08

35 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

What?

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

5 minutes ago, Spladle08 said:

Agree 🙂 
Guess I have a mental hurdle. 
I just don't trust Richards. I like him more as a  Bridesmaid than a Bride. 

I'm sorry my friend. "Not My President" as the losing party  says. 
I just don't believe, I'm so sorry. I just always see him as a "tough out"  not an "Olympic Champion Hopeful"
I hope he makes the team, because I'd love for you to be so happy. 

My heart says Richards. My roots say Richards. My head says Spencer Lee, Olympic champion. But please refer to my signature 🤣

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, bnwtwg said:

My heart says Richards. My roots say Richards. My head says Spencer Lee, Olympic champion. But please refer to my signature 🤣

"I am an idiot on the internet"
Are not we all 😉 
Also if we can win 6 weights at the Olympics, I'll be the happiest keyboard warrior to ever live 🙂 
#LETSGO!!!!!

• Fire 2

7 minutes ago, Spladle08 said:

"I am an idiot on the internet"
Are not we all 😉 
Also if we can win 6 weights at the Olympics, I'll be the happiest keyboard warrior to ever live 🙂 
#LETSGO!!!!!

Well yeah but i iz idiot-er than the usual fool

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

Spencer Lee is the most interesting storyline this Olympic year. Hailed as the next coming since high school. He has had an unusual career thus far with some tremendous success, some major bumps in the road, and far less freestyle than anyone could have expected. He has shown flashes of a level that none of these other guys can hit, but also an Achilles heel or two. The biggest Lee fans out there have to admit it wouldn't be shocking for him to gas out and get beat in the second period by a guy we've never heard of. And the biggest Lee detractors have to admit it wouldn't be shocking for him to go out and blow the doors off the competition.

• Fire 7

2 hours ago, Crotalus said:

Spencer Lee is the most interesting storyline this Olympic year. Hailed as the next coming since high school. He has had an unusual career thus far with some tremendous success, some major bumps in the road, and far less freestyle than anyone could have expected. He has shown flashes of a level that none of these other guys can hit, but also an Achilles heel or two. The biggest Lee fans out there have to admit it wouldn't be shocking for him to gas out and get beat in the second period by a guy we've never heard of. And the biggest Lee detractors have to admit it wouldn't be shocking for him to go out and blow the doors off the competition.

Please quit saying "Achilles" and "Spencer Lee" in the same sentence... paragraph... county... continent...

To your final point, David Taylor has run roughshod over global competition by running supreme folkstyle on top. If there were ever someone to be the next DT-style it *could* be Lee. But let me clarify right here and now: he is NOT Taylor. When he picks up as many gold medals we can open the conversation - I am *only* referring to folk riding destruction that could possibly maybe potentially be on par with DT.

• Fire 1

Micic had some tough years starting out but all of that eventually led to his Disney moment this season. That's what I've seen in Zane Richards. He has worked his way up, Fighting the whole way.

Will he have his Disney finish? I don't know, but he's certainly earned it. At least for now, he's had a really nice Pixar moment.

But, my friends, Greco!

Tomorrow, I'll be watching the Brawlnagel twins, Kamal Bey, We Rachal, Joe Rau and West Cathcart in the most exciting domestic Greco event in years. Besides these warriors from ILLINOIS, there are other great storylines, and folks have popped up out of the woodwork.

Additionally, I saw Max Nowry listed in an Instagram post. Is he wrestling as well?

• Fire 4

16 hours ago, Spladle08 said:

I see your point and turn my attention to Alirez over McKenna .

Lee takes a loss and Inj Def out

Pantelo doesn't end up having the gas .

Quincy Monday, not so fast. What a tournament from Josh Shields (long shot)

Ringer in the new year .

We need a little Moore from Kollin, nasty Nate gets it done

Dom Bradley might be old, but old is Gold here .

Medical forfeit?

14 hours ago, Hammerlock3 said:

the comparison is still interesting. Suriano has better position, metcalf more offensive...interesting to think how they benefit or suffer from free vs folk circumstances.....suriano wrestles a very modern stiyle, metcalf very mid 90s...hard to gather my thoughts.

What does mid-90s mean?

14 hours ago, Hammerlock3 said:

people hate it when i say this but i'll do it again. If you were ranking wrestlers by sheer toughness, let downs moments, body language, dealing with adversity, he's behind most of the other super top tier guys. 

Yep.  Wrestling with no ACLs has nothing to do with toughness or ability to handle adversity...

18 hours ago, Spladle08 said:

I see your point and turn my attention to Alirez over McKenna .

Lee takes a loss and Inj Def out

Pantelo doesn't end up having the gas .

Quincy Monday, not so fast. What a tournament from Josh Shields (long shot)

Ringer in the new year .

We need a little Moore from Kollin, nasty Nate gets it done

Dom Bradley might be old, but old is Gold here .

Alirez has too many landmines.  He won't make the finals.

Lee will wrestle to at least 5th place.  My bet is he gets to the Gold match and MFFs (seed protection).  He is there to steal a spot.  Unless he is hurt, he is taking 2nd at worst.

Pantaleo will have the gas after his first match.  Just get through that and he will be okay.  It's if he loses on Day 1 that it will be a problem.  If he makes the finals, I think he has enough time where he will be just fine.

Monday isn't losing to Shields.

Ringer is my (safe) pick as well.  He only typically loses to stronger, more athletic guys (at 86 KG).  McIntosh is the only one that fits that bill on his side of the bracket and I just don't think he is good enough to get it done.

Nate couldn't beat a one-armed Moore.  He isn't beating a healthy Moore.  In fact, I think there is a good chance Schultz or Cassioppi beats Nate.  Nate loses matches all the time.  He wins a lot, too... but he loses all the time as well.

Kerk doesn't need to beat Bradley, he just needs to place Top 5.  I think it is up in the air if we see Kerk wrestle Bradley if Bradley makes the finals opposite him.  It is a lose-lose for Kerk.  Bradley is a big, stronk 125 KG guy.  If it is anyone else across from him, I think Kerk wrestles the finals.

• Fire 2

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me