• Playwire Ad Area

10 point Major?

Eagle26

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

You understand it was three points for a five second count, correct?  It was changed to four points for a four second count.  You are looking at it in a singular dimension, points, when the scoring involves two dimensions in points and time.

Meaning before with a four swipe you would get two points, now it is four.

You can't maths and it is annoying that you are stupid.  I legitimately laid the math out for you, so it isn't ignorance.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Stay classy San Diego.  Calling people stupid during the holidays is always cool.   

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/22/2023 at 7:43 PM, Eagle26 said:

Taylor brought this up at the all star classic and I thought it was a good idea. With 3 point takedowns and 2,3,4 point near fall, the major decision should probably be adjusted to 10 points.

Plus 10 and 15 would be easy numbers for the casual fan. What do you all think?

Changing a MD from 8 to 10 points and the TF from 15 to 20 would most accurately reflect the same level of “dominance” with the new scoring.

10 & 20 would even be easier numbers for the casual fan to understand & remember.

• Fire 2

Make it a 10 point major.

But the conversation everyone seems to keep missing is that the innovators and savants such as Carl and Co. are about to usher in an even higher level of beatdowns akin to the Death Squad lineup from the peak Golden State Warriors teams raining threes all over the place. And just like the trickledown effect of math in the NBA to the kids level when Dr. Stephen Curry scientifically proved that 3>2 we will see the same from kids level which will eventually lead to sustained, or even improved, results at the international level across age groups with an increased emphasis on takedowns and defense.

i am an idiot on the internet

It is inflation.  Grade inflation.  Monetary inflation.  Now TD and NF inflation.  Say it ain't so, Shoeless Joe!

What's next?  A homerun in baseball counts as 2 runs and a grand slam is 5?

Sudden death score of 4-1 just looks wrong when reading after-match recaps. 

Yes, old school, OT was sudden death!  And we had no sissy mercy rules!!  It was rightly called a slaughter rule in T-Ball and Little League where I grew up.

Bringing it back to the conversation:  I like a 10 point major and a 20 point technical slaughter pinfall rule.

12 point major, 25 point tech fall

Reversals should be 4 points

Make decisions, majors, and tech falls worth 1,2,3 team points respectively. This makes team point deductions Uber consequential. 

Keep pins at 6 team points. 

Replace conference tournaments with a nationwide dual championships. Base allocations on individual weightclass season long performances. 

Get rid of pig tails. 

I'm not sure what to do about wildcards

I wouldn't change the points for a major or tech. 

We're now valuing one particular action more than it was previously and have elevated it relative to other scoring maneuvers. 

If you adjust the margin for bonus decisions, you're essentially asking for the matches to be valued the same way as they were before, which flies in the face of adjusting the value of a takedown. 

• Fire 1

Through the first 6,793 individual bouts wrestled this season between D1 vs. D1, the percentage of matches ending in a fall is 15.15%. Compared to the first 6,925 bouts last year, the percentage of falls was 15.97%. 

I used the same stop point (just before Collegiate Duals), since I did this about two weeks ago. 

MDs were 20.04% compared to 16.61% the year before and TFs were 15.72% this year, compared to just 6.4% last year. 

The number of Medical Forfeits last year was 242. This year, it's a total of 164, with 57 medical forfeits and 107 "countable" medical forfeits. 

Average Dual meet score last year was 29.1-9.25. This year, the average dual score is 32-9.05

• Fire 2

Insert catchy tagline here. 

7 minutes ago, Jason Bryant said:

Through the first 6,793 individual bouts wrestled this season between D1 vs. D1, the percentage of matches ending in a fall is 15.15%. Compared to the first 6,925 bouts last year, the percentage of falls was 15.97%. 

I used the same stop point (just before Collegiate Duals), since I did this about two weeks ago. 

MDs were 20.04% compared to 16.61% the year before and TFs were 15.72% this year, compared to just 6.4% last year. 

The number of Medical Forfeits last year was 242. This year, it's a total of 164, with 57 medical forfeits and 107 "countable" medical forfeits. 

Average Dual meet score last year was 29.1-9.25. This year, the average dual score is 32-9.05

and don't forget the number of matches ending in pinfall was 0.0000% (carried out to 4 decimal places for the data types) just like last year and everyone knows this. 

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, Jason Bryant said:

While not definitive, the number of medical forfeits dropping by a third is likely due to the new (needed?) rule.

MDs up only 3.4% (+233) surprises me, though.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

• 3 weeks later...

OK I think at least the major needs to be changed to 10 next year for sure.  Tech to 20 not as important IMO but would make sense.

The weirdest thing to me about the 8 point major combined with the 3 pt TD is a situation that could have presented itself in the Blockhus Robb match.  Blockhus was up by 7, Eggum was telling him to let him go to go for a major.   So at the same time you could be one TD away from a major, but also one feet-to-back move away from losing.

23 hours ago, 1032004 said:

OK I think at least the major needs to be changed to 10 next year for sure.  Tech to 20 not as important IMO but would make sense.

The weirdest thing to me about the 8 point major combined with the 3 pt TD is a situation that could have presented itself in the Blockhus Robb match.  Blockhus was up by 7, Eggum was telling him to let him go to go for a major.   So at the same time you could be one TD away from a major, but also one feet-to-back move away from losing.

You've just described a feature, not a flaw. 

10 hours ago, jdalu75 said:

If you want more falls, then falls need to be worth more.  So a fall is worth 6, a tech fall is worth 4, there is no major (too easy with 3-point TDs), and a decision is worth 3.

At first read I was totally in agreement, but thinking about it a little more some of the more exciting parts about duals is when people are going for majors.  It adds an element to follow as a fan to a match that otherwise is one sided. 

10 hours ago, TylerDurden said:

You've just described a feature, not a flaw. 

Disagree.  A major is supposed to show dominance.  IMO you shouldn’t be able to be simultaneously one takedown away from a major but also one move away from losing (outside a pin of course where you are always one move away from losing).