• Playwire Ad Area

Programs that need a Coaching change

feet2back

18 hours ago, Doublehalf said:

I don't know if I'd agree with that... Not long before Stutzman got there Biechner had the team at almost a top 25 level in 05/06. Biechner certainly had some difficulties recruiting in a similar way Stutzman probably does but I've heard a lot about Stutzman being more of an old timey coach that hasn't evolved with the times. Also- I think he had almost 10 wrestlers hit the transfer portal last year which may be up there with some of the highest out going transfers from any team....

I for one would like to see newer younger blood in Buffalo to get more energy back into the program.

I meant historically, or in general.  Not specific to Stutzman.  Sadly, Buffalo has never been on the scene, and now Bloomsburg, appears they will never be on the scene again either.  Like they were for some period of time. 

On the scene meaning- every couple of years or so, you have  an AA threat or two, and maybe even a potential national champ sprinkled in there.  Which Bloomsburg felt like they had for of a decade or two.

The EWL was rock solid, and had a really good run up until the 2000's. And Bloomsburg had dudes (AAs and Champs). 

On 11/23/2023 at 11:56 AM, jammen said:

Indiana needs somebody new.  Escobedo is 8-34 in conference and is more preacher than coach.  Goldman had a career 60% win percentage.

I think you need to keep Angel out of this discussion. People have short term memory problems if they can’t looK at the last 5-8 years of Duane Goldmans tenure at Indiana. The last 3 years was a dumpster fire. And the three years before that was when everyone in the state of Indiana wrestling community decided not to give IU a sniff for signing on. Couldn’t get and keep assistants, room was filled with walk on caliber talent. Performance on the mat reflected the inability of Duane to sign any big ten caliber recruits.  No, Angel is doing just fine for now. Everyone on his team battles for 3 full periods, outmanned( most of the time in the Big) or not. But the culture has changed 200% there. And he’s still learning to be a head coach, surrounding himself with assistants may be even better coaches than he is right now. That dumpster fire  Duane left the program in ain’t goin to get put out in a 5 year period or maybe 10! The big crowds that have come to Wilkinson Hall tell the story. 

I might be in the minority here, but its going to be tough for anyone to do what the likes of Tom Ryan & Pat Pop were doing at Hofstra & Binghamton respectively now that we are in the days of NIL, Transfer portal and the facility arms race. 

I don't think a coach should be allowed to have a program be an absolute dumpster fire, but I also don't see why people would expect major results at some of these smaller schools. The big ten is probably the exception here where are if you are at the bottom for a few years, I could see a school making a change.

Brandon Eggums tenure has been kept afloat primarily by Gable Steveson and the ability to develop unknown recruits into top 20ish wrestlers. He’s bought himself some time and seemingly figured out a much better recruiting strategy than whatever he was doing in 2019-2022.

He’s recruited really well so far for the classes of 2023, 2024 and beginning of 2025. However, if the likes of McEnelly, Gavin Nelson, Wells, Hopke, Millard and Robideau don’t get this team back in the conversation for top 5 I can see Minnesota being ready for a change.

Another odd problem that needs to be fixed as soon as the next offseason is the inability to capitalize on transfers. The highest impact we’ve brought in in 6 years are Sean Russell and Devin Skatzka, who were good, but we have the resources to bring in more. And certainly have the roster holes to fill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

28 minutes ago, vsnej said:

How far has Edinboro fallen since their top 10 finishes, national finalists, semi-finalists and champions.  Two white washes this season - really like to see this program come back.

The financial situation with the school as a whole can be described as rough at best, only way that program rises again if an outside donor is pumping money into the program and idk how many high roller donors Edinboro has to start throwing money at a niche sport 

• Fire 1

4 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

The financial situation with the school as a whole can be described as rough at best, only way that program rises again if an outside donor is pumping money into the program and idk how many high roller donors Edinboro has to start throwing money at a niche sport 

As the case with several D1 wrestling programs. We just have to be thankful for what they can provide at this time. Hopefully none being dropped and future funding can be found, but it must be solicited. These coaches need to cull the alumni and fans alike. Nobody is going to help if they are not asked. Coaches fall flat in these areas , and not only the small schools.  Get out and shake the bushes.  

• Fire 2

On 11/30/2023 at 8:43 AM, d3grappler said:

I might be in the minority here, but its going to be tough for anyone to do what the likes of Tom Ryan & Pat Pop were doing at Hofstra & Binghamton respectively now that we are in the days of NIL, Transfer portal and the facility arms race. 

I don't think a coach should be allowed to have a program be an absolute dumpster fire, but I also don't see why people would expect major results at some of these smaller schools. The big ten is probably the exception here where are if you are at the bottom for a few years, I could see a school making a change.

This, the kind of coaches willing to do the hustle, development and coaching, and deal with all the extra challenges of the schools, to get their athletes competitive/elite… it’s a lot of work.
To have the work and time you’ve put in developing your program/athletes just for them to get poached… it makes being willing to coach at those smaller places with less resources tough… 

And yes, I’m all for the athletes, but coaches have ambitions and egos too. It’s one thing to be competitive and ambitious, all coaches are.. but the coach wanting to do it with “their” athletes they developed… the type that takes pride in doing it with less… having their athletes constantly getting poached is extra hard. JMB at app state had to deal with Milner getting talked to AT NCAAS. So instead of being able to just celebrate the great moment… he’s dealing with that…

Would Edinboro have had its run in this era with those athletes… probably not because some probably would have been poached away…

and no, I’m not saying the kids should get NIL or be allowed to transfer. But people need to stop ignoring the realities it creates 

On 11/30/2023 at 9:43 AM, d3grappler said:

Was before my time, but what exactly were they doing at Hofstra and Binghamton?  Were they considerably better than say, Campbell is now?

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

Was before my time, but what exactly were they doing at Hofstra and Binghamton?  Were they considerably better than say, Campbell is now?

Hofstra was at a different level, for the better.  They produced all americans at a steady rate for atleast a decade.  And won many conference titles. With no knock on Campbell.

20 hours ago, 1032004 said:

As Phantom said Hoftra was really tough. I don't know about Binghamton's dual performance, but I believe Pop had 4 AA's there (one of whom was Gwiz) and had the team finish 14th at 2012 NCAA's. 

What about Kent State? They just lost to Gannon. I am not up to date with D2, but I don't think they are a Central State (aka University of Central Oklahoma for the youngsters). They haven't been producing the AA's that they were.

That also doesn't help any of the MAC programs that might be in trouble or even thinking of bringing back the program. 

Kent read, Kent write, Kent State. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TexRef said:

What about Kent State? They just lost to Gannon. I am not up to date with D2, but I don't think they are a Central State (aka University of Central Oklahoma for the youngsters). They haven't been producing the AA's that they were.

That also doesn't help any of the MAC programs that might be in trouble or even thinking of bringing back the program. 

Kent read, Kent write, Kent State. 

Not exactly a ringing endorsement here

• Haha 1

On 12/3/2023 at 1:52 PM, Phantom said:

Hofstra was at a different level, for the better.  They produced all americans at a steady rate for atleast a decade.  And won many conference titles. 

Hofstra's coach from 1995-2006 was Tom Ryan.  He had a ton of support from the administration to build the program, and he was successful enough to be hired away by Ohio State; his last team at Hofstra finished 11th at NCAAs.  There were two coaches in-between Ryan and Dennis Papadatos, who took over a floundering program with a roster limit of 18 and little support.  Dennis has managed to slowly get the roster size bumped up; I see 28 this year.  He's in his 9th season with Hofstra; gotta believe if they weren't happy with the job he's doing they'd have replaced him by now.

On 11/30/2023 at 8:56 AM, poorwrestler said:

Brandon Eggums tenure has been kept afloat primarily by Gable Steveson and the ability to develop unknown recruits into top 20ish wrestlers. He’s bought himself some time and seemingly figured out a much better recruiting strategy than whatever he was doing in 2019-2022.

He’s recruited really well so far for the classes of 2023, 2024 and beginning of 2025. However, if the likes of McEnelly, Gavin Nelson, Wells, Hopke, Millard and Robideau don’t get this team back in the conversation for top 5 I can see Minnesota being ready for a change.

Another odd problem that needs to be fixed as soon as the next offseason is the inability to capitalize on transfers. The highest impact we’ve brought in in 6 years are Sean Russell and Devin Skatzka, who were good, but we have the resources to bring in more. And certainly have the roster holes to fill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Time for Damian Hahn to head back to gopher land. 

• Confused 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/30/2023 at 8:43 AM, d3grappler said:

On 12/3/2023 at 7:29 AM, Formally140 said:

This, the kind of coaches willing to do the hustle, development and coaching, and deal with all the extra challenges of the schools, to get their athletes competitive/elite… it’s a lot of work.
To have the work and time you’ve put in developing your program/athletes just for them to get poached… it makes being willing to coach at those smaller places with less resources tough… 

And yes, I’m all for the athletes, but coaches have ambitions and egos too. It’s one thing to be competitive and ambitious, all coaches are.. but the coach wanting to do it with “their” athletes they developed… the type that takes pride in doing it with less… having their athletes constantly getting poached is extra hard. JMB at app state had to deal with Milner getting talked to AT NCAAS. So instead of being able to just celebrate the great moment… he’s dealing with that..

These are the “realities” of the current D1 Wrestling landscape & need to be considered/understood before criticizing small, mid, & non-Big 10 D1 Programs.