• Playwire Ad Area

Programs that need a Coaching change

feet2back

8 hours ago, JVStateChamp said:

Many of the programs mentioned, such as Bloomsburg, Sacred Heart, and UTC, will face challenges in finding a sought-after replacement. As the wrestling market has grown, albeit not significantly, there will be a lack of qualified candidates. In the past, the best wrestlers in the USA were drawn to coaching due to limited financial opportunities. However, now wrestlers are experiencing career longevity and earning comparable salaries for focusing solely on training. Additionally, a high-profile assistant coach in the ACC or B1G may earn more than a head coach at a SoCon or EIWA program. While these programs have undoubtedly fallen short of their past achievements or potential, attracting coaches who can bring about change and remain committed for an extended period is proving to be a significant hurdle.

If I were Bloomsburg I would be trying to bring Rich Perry in, he’s a world team member , alum that won over 100 matches 4x ncaa qualifier lost in R12 and was the captain of the last winning Bloomsburg team..he’s only 2 hrs away right now on the penn RTC staff , he may not be the biggest name but guys like Jordan Burroughs arent coaching at Bloomsburg or sacred heart anytime soon 

Edited by Antitroll2828
  • Fire 1

24 minutes ago, Lunaticfringe said:

Ricardo Alcala, Matt Powless, Adam Chalfant, Taylor Walsh were all bigger guys who AA’d late in the Goldman era. They always had good 197-285 guys. The problem Indiana has always sucked for the most part in the 141-184 range.

Walsh made a final his senior year , the entire family had a wild style , saw Taylor throw a lot of people on their heads in youth and high school

• Fire 1

On 11/25/2023 at 12:03 PM, Wrestleknownothing said:

Getting Chad Red in their RTC is a step in the right direction. Of course, Escobedo will need to build on that. But, I am interested to see what having a 4 time AA, local hero in the room can do.

They had Indiana native Jason Tsirtsis on staff for a bit. I think he fit the bill, yeah?

On 11/26/2023 at 10:15 AM, wrestle87 said:

Part of this conversation might potentially benefit from discussing which schools do and don’t care about their wrestling programs.

Hate to say it, but it often feels like if wrestling programs aren’t actively adding to the reputation of their respective schools they start running the risk of being shut down.

Doesn’t help that wrestlers tend to be a rowdy bunch who don’t always pay the most attention to their schoolwork.

Smaller religiously-affiliated IHL (D1 and otherwise) offer athletics to grow enrollment. Sacred Heart, a Catholic university, is no exception. Hiring lay people (non-religious professionals who are usually funded by their orders, but are in short order anymore) is very expensive. At $66,910 this year alone for cost of attendance, SHU needs numbers, as that cost is a direct reflection of operating budgets across campus.

SHU will never care about athletic success. Providing 50-plus "D1" opportunities to wrestlers who seek that, and who are willing to pay for that privilege, is what they seek.

• Fire 1

5 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

If I were Bloomsburg I would be trying to bring Rich Perry in, he’s a world team member , alum that won over 100 matches 4x ncaa qualifier lost in R12 and was the captain of the last winning Bloomsburg team..he’s only 2 hrs away right now on the penn RTC staff , he may not be the biggest name but guys like Jordan Burroughs arent coaching at Bloomsburg or sacred heart anytime soon 

The Bloom head job pays around 75K 

• Fire 1

13 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Great guy.  Amazing story.

But not a world team member.  Not sure where you got that info.

7 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

No, he was not on the World Team.  Only one guy per weight is on the World Team.  

He was on the "national team."

I understand your point but on the Penn RTC page they literally refer to Perry as former world team wrestler , seen other guys like Aaron brooks and Joey McKenna referred to in the same manner as well

6 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

No one is as obsessed with semantics as I at W.

Really?  There is an actual definition.  One of my college roommates/training partners was on the national team for over a decade.  Never was the #1 guy.  He would never say he was a world team member.  (but he wanted to be one)

Like it REALLY is a thing to be on the World Team or Olympic Team.  People aspire to it.  You wouldn't call am Olympic Team alternate an Olympian, would you?

8 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

I understand your point but on the Penn RTC page they literally refer to Perry as former world team wrestler , seen other guys like Aaron brooks and Joey McKenna referred to in the same manner as well

https://pennsylvaniartc.org/athletes/richard-perry/

Says "national team."

You could say  Brooks and McKenna were World Team members.  They both made age group teams, so not technically incorrect.  However the Penn RTC does make the "age group" qualifier.

https://pennsylvaniartc.org/athletes/joey-mckenna/

Edited by Interviewed_at_Weehawken
  • Fire 1

15 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

He has a family and I doubt he wants to raise them in Bloomsburg. They've no resources as a program .I believe they operate with under 5 scholarships and the education at Bloom isn't great. That's a tough place to make a great hire

• Stalling 1

7 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Really?  There is an actual definition.  One of my college roommates/training partners was on the national team for over a decade.  Never was the #1 guy.  He would never say he was a world team member.  (but he wanted to be one)

Like it REALLY is a thing to be on the World Team or Olympic Team.  People aspire to it.  You wouldn't call am Olympic Team alternate an Olympian, would you?

Says "national team."

You could say  Brooks and McKenna were World Team members.  They both made age group teams, so not technically incorrect.  However the Penn RTC does make the "age group" qualifier.

Exhibit A

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

45 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

He wasn’t a starter but he was definitely the 1st alternate and made the team, he was on the team training when the accident with his eye occurred 

Penn RTC website doesn't say he was a world team member it says National team. Rich never made a world team. The top 3 guys at each weight are on the national team and all attend team training camp

• Fire 2

55 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

OK.  So how did Jason Nolf do at Worlds last year?  You would say he was on a World Team, right?  I mean he was second in WTT, right?

Definitions of terms matter.

No, in this case it really doesn't. This whole thing is just a rabbit hole. A distraction. The point that this tangent flew off from was that someone thought Rich Perry would make a good Bloomsburg coach. But, but boy oh boy, they used an incorrect term in their supporting argument, and like a dog on a bone in swoops IatW to make it about anything but whether Rich Perry would make a good Bloomsburg coach.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

3 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

No, in this case it really doesn't. This whole thing is just a rabbit hole. A distraction. The point that this tangent flew off from was that someone thought Rich Perry would make a good Bloomsburg coach. But, but boy oh boy, they used an incorrect term in their supporting argument, and like a dog on a bone in swoops IatW to make it about anything but whether Rich Perry would make a good Bloomsburg coach.

Rich Perry would be great! (and I complimented him)

Using the wrong term... not so much.  There's a big difference between the terms.  You wouldn't say that the Bufflo Bills were 4x Super Bowl champs in the 90s.  Would you.

No "rabbit hole," just "correct" vs. "incorrect."

Edited by Interviewed_at_Weehawken

1 hour ago, Corby said:

Penn RTC website doesn't say he was a world team member it says National team. Rich never made a world team. The top 3 guys at each weight are on the national team and all attend team training camp

1 hour ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Says "national team."

https://pennsylvaniartc.org/richard-perry-hosts-free-clinics-in-middletown-ct/

you can argue about semantics all day idc 

1 hour ago, Corby said:

He has a family and I doubt he wants to raise them in Bloomsburg. They've no resources as a program .I believe they operate with under 5 scholarships and the education at Bloom isn't great. That's a tough place to make a great hire

Well Corby not for nothing but he has his family growing in or right outside of Philly which is the worst it’s been crime wise in 3 decades , it’s not like Bloom is this big city he d need to live in , plenty of nice quiet places he could live in the surrounding area and probably get a lot of property for cheap , who knows maybe the man aspires to be a head coach and he sees this as a way to break in , he lives pretty close, he is an alum , he’s financially stable enough that 75k a year might not scare him away and he might not change the world but he ll immediately give them a bump in recruiting and hype . My whole point is why not give it a shot if you re a failing program that less then 10 years ago was having good success with this very guy as the leader ..also not like this guy in a NC or 4x AA if he wants to be a head coach at a big program one day he’ll have to start somewhere small and prove himself what better place then bloom 

On 11/26/2023 at 1:16 PM, Phantom said:

I think this shows me Buffalo is not capable of being on the scene like Bloomsburg has done before.

I don't know if I'd agree with that... Not long before Stutzman got there Biechner had the team at almost a top 25 level in 05/06. Biechner certainly had some difficulties recruiting in a similar way Stutzman probably does but I've heard a lot about Stutzman being more of an old timey coach that hasn't evolved with the times. Also- I think he had almost 10 wrestlers hit the transfer portal last year which may be up there with some of the highest out going transfers from any team....

I for one would like to see newer younger blood in Buffalo to get more energy back into the program.

• Fire 1