• Playwire Ad Area

Programs that need a Coaching change

feet2back

Bloomsburg needs some new energy and voices in the room , under Dan Wirnsberger from 2002-2005 they went 26-22 with 2 NQ each of the first 2 years then 6 in his final season , John Stutzman went 97-56-1 from 2005-2013 with an average of 5 qualifers a season including 2x AA Matt Moley as well as a few top 8 seeded guys and bloodround finishers like Richard Perry and Frank Hickman , since Stutzman left in 2013 the team they’ve gone 39-106 ,had 0 qualifers in 14,15,16,17 and a grand total of 6 NQ since 2013 which is how many they had Stutzman final season 

something needs to change otherwise I could see the program getting dropped altogether due to the financial situation of most PA schools 

• Fire 1

54 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Bloomsburg needs some new energy and voices in the room , under Dan Wirnsberger from 2002-2005 they went 26-22 with 2 NQ each of the first 2 years then 6 in his final season , John Stutzman went 97-56-1 from 2005-2013 with an average of 5 qualifers a season including 2x AA Matt Moley as well as a few top 8 seeded guys and bloodround finishers like Richard Perry and Frank Hickman , since Stutzman left in 2013 the team they’ve gone 39-106 ,had 0 qualifers in 14,15,16,17 and a grand total of 6 NQ since 2013 which is how many they had Stutzman final season 

something needs to change otherwise I could see the program getting dropped altogether due to the financial situation of most PA schools 

Buffalo has a  67-101 D1  dual record in the last 10 years including this season (11)  and zero AA's ( 1 blood round) since he left Bloomsburg. 

Edited by Corby

9 minutes ago, Corby said:

Buffalo has a  67-101 D1  dual record in the last 10 years including this season (11)  and zero AA's ( 1 blood round) since he left Bloomsburg. 

I think you are furthering my point Corby …Stutzman who is a solid guy and decent not great coach got Bloomsburg to a pretty solid level and maintained for 8 years so it shows with the right guys Bloomsburg can be much better then they’ve been the past 10 yrs 

On 11/22/2023 at 4:08 PM, TNwrestling said:

UT-Chattanooga

The perennial laughing stock of NCAA wrestling. Hasn't had a single AA since Cody Cleveland in 2009. Incapable of recruiting. Even less capable of molding wrestlers. 

They should have done whatever they had to do to keep Heath Eslinger. He did a phenomenal job there. He was able to identify, and get great results from, under the radar talent from kids from the south.

On 11/22/2023 at 8:44 PM, Gantry said:

Was it that Iranian Heavyweight?  He's the only guy from SH that I can remember...

Payam Zarrinpour finished 7th in 2007 at 285 to become Sacred Hearts' first, and so far, only AA.

Unseeded he upset 10 seed Cody Parker (Cal Poly-SLO) in the first round 12-3. Next he took out 7 seed Matt Fields of Iowa before succumbing in the quarterfinals to Penn State's 2 seed and eventual runner-up, Aaron Anspach.

In the blood round he knocked off Iowa State's Dave Zabriskie 9-6. After Zarrinpour lost 7-4 to Wade Sauer of Cal State-Fullerton he finished his run with an 11-8 victory over Bloomsburg's Mike Spaid.

• Fire 5

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

35 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Payam Zarrinpour finished 7th in 2007 at 285 to become Sacred Hearts' first, and so far, only AA.

Unseeded he upset 10 seed Cody Parker (Cal Poly-SLO) in the first round 12-3. Next he took out 7 seed Matt Fields of Iowa before succumbing in the quarterfinals to Penn State's 2 seed and eventual runner-up, Aaron Anspach.

In the blood round he knocked off Iowa State's Dave Zabriskie 9-6. After Zarrinpour lost 7-4 to Wade Sauer of Cal State-Fullerton he finished his run with an 11-8 victory over Bloomsburg's Mike Spaid.

Not bad considering Zabriskie was national champ 2 years later 

On 11/23/2023 at 12:26 PM, lu1979 said:

Nico Provo from Stanford is a CT kid as is Ebert from Binghamton - he may be their 174 this year

Mcgonagle from Lehigh is from Maine. The New England states have a six state high school championship that kids gear up for to wrap up their season, so it is CT, RI, ME, MA, NH, and VT in one large sanctioned event. 
You’ll see kids from these states pop up, generally at smaller schools: Casella at Binghamton for instance is another one. 

On 11/23/2023 at 11:20 AM, Formally140 said:

I hate to say it but UTC

On 11/22/2023 at 5:08 PM, TNwrestling said:

UT-Chattanooga

The perennial laughing stock of NCAA wrestling. Hasn't had a single AA since Cody Cleveland in 2009. Incapable of recruiting. Even less capable of molding wrestlers. 

3 hours ago, MidwestWrest said:

They should have done whatever they had to do to keep Heath Eslinger. He did a phenomenal job there. He was able to identify, and get great results from, under the radar talent from kids from the south.

Terry Brands reunion?

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Mcgonagle from Lehigh is from Maine. The New England states have a six state high school championship that kids gear up for to wrap up their season, so it is CT, RI, ME, MA, NH, and VT in one large sanctioned event. 
You’ll see kids from these states pop up, generally at smaller schools: Casella at Binghamton for instance is another one. 

They have houses in both Maine and NH. They call NH home and went to school in NH and his club is in NH. Doesn't really change your main (Maine) point but figured I'd clarify.

• Fire 1

4 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

McGonagle actually wrestled for Timberlane HS which has long been the strongest program in New Hampshire - he was a multiple NE Champion

On 11/23/2023 at 11:56 AM, jammen said:

Indiana needs somebody new.  Escobedo is 8-34 in conference and is more preacher than coach.  Goldman had a career 60% win percentage.

Nah. Escobedo has won more B1G duals in his first five years than Goldman won in his last eight. 

Escobedo is 8-34 over his 5 years in the B1G. Goldman went 6-62 in his last 8 years, five of those were winless conference seasons. 

Goldman would beat the likes Bellarmine, Eastern Michigan and Manchester in duals. 

On 11/23/2023 at 10:29 AM, Gus said:

They have put a few other into D1 from looking at there website including a few that went to Sacred Heart. Novacs (NCSt) is a Danbury kid also. 

I guess my point is SH is not going to be competitive just by landing all the in state recruits.

13 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

I live in NH now, but don't really follow HS wrestling at all. From what I've seen the best of New England usually go to a smaller PA state school or sometimes Lehigh,where they often struggle to make the starting lineup. Occasionally they get to be AA contenders like McGonagle or actual AAs like Jack or Robert Hamlin. 

I feel that decline of D1 wrestling in New England has held the region back. 

Also to some extent, I feel aving the New England championships limits the aspirations of the best guys ..  They ultimate goals most New England wrestlers is to win New England instead of the higher goals kids from other states have 

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, Jim L said:

I live in NH now, but don't really follow HS wrestling at all. From what I've seen the best of New England usually go to a smaller PA state school or sometimes Lehigh,where they often struggle to make the starting lineup. Occasionally they get to be AA contenders like McGonagle or actual AAs like Jack or Robert Hamlin. 

I feel that decline of D1 wrestling in New England has held the region back. 

Also to some extent, I feel aving the New England championships limits the aspirations of the best guys ..  They ultimate goals most New England wrestlers is to win New England instead of the higher goals kids from other states have 

Was Hamlin the one they called Vermonster? 
Going way back, I think Lehigh great Colin Kilrain was a New England guy too. 
As for the higher goals, hear you but think it also applies in many states. I’m good friends with a guy who coaches for a top club program in Virginia. He told me not too long ago that’s a problem here, most kids set the goal of being state champs but aren’t working to be national caliber/D1 types. 

• Fire 2

1 minute ago, 11986 said:

Was Hamlin the one they called Vermonster? 
Going way back, I think Lehigh great Colin Kilrain was a New England guy too. 
As for the higher goals, hear you but think it also applies in many states. I’m good friends with a guy who coaches for a top club program in Virginia. He told me not too long ago that’s a problem here, most kids set the goal of being state champs but aren’t working to be national caliber/D1 types. 

Yes to Hamlin. I tried to get McGonagle called the New Hampster- but that didn't go over too well.

Kilrain was from Braintree, Mass- Braintree Catholic before prepping a year at Blair.

• Fire 3

On 11/23/2023 at 11:56 AM, jammen said:

Indiana needs somebody new.  Escobedo is 8-34 in conference and is more preacher than coach.  Goldman had a career 60% win percentage.

I would like to see an improvement in recruiting with the Indiana program but that’s hard to do until the staff can prove they can developed multiple guts into NCAA qualifier that are getting a shot to AA.  Recruit want to know they have guys in the room who can get them to that same level and coaches that have a track record for getting the none blue chips guys to another level. Once the in room guys can get there we will see how good Escobedo and companies recruiting skill really are.  To me there a few more years on Escobedo’s progress clock before you can really start questioning if he’s getting enough out of the room and able to pull in solid recruits.  Sure asking for IU to be a Top 10 national program anytime soon is a stretch, but the expectation should at least be consistently be in the middle of the Big10 with a a few AAs each year shouldn’t be. 

• Fire 1

57 minutes ago, MadMardigain said:

I would like to see an improvement in recruiting with the Indiana program but that’s hard to do until the staff can prove they can developed multiple guts into NCAA qualifier that are getting a shot to AA.  Recruit want to know they have guys in the room who can get them to that same level and coaches that have a track record for getting the none blue chips guys to another level. Once the in room guys can get there we will see how good Escobedo and companies recruiting skill really are.  To me there a few more years on Escobedo’s progress clock before you can really start questioning if he’s getting enough out of the room and able to pull in solid recruits.  Sure asking for IU to be a Top 10 national program anytime soon is a stretch, but the expectation should at least be consistently be in the middle of the Big10 with a a few AAs each year shouldn’t be. 

Getting Chad Red in their RTC is a step in the right direction. Of course, Escobedo will need to build on that. But, I am interested to see what having a 4 time AA, local hero in the room can do.

Escobedo has been there 5.5 years now, I'm seeing zero AAs and one round of 12 guy in that time.   He's pure class and I like him personally, but the results haven't been there.  Far as I know there aren't any major recruits ready to step in, or are there?   Rooks is in his 6th year and Washington his 5th...  

Not saying he should be gone, but I think he's been there long enough to question if there's been enough of an improvement.

What happened to "Dump John Smith" stuff?

He changes Assistants and all of a sudden he is Cael reborn?

How he acts and reacts to his kids on the mat - will it change this year? Has he been taken over by Nice Pod People?

How long until maen'ol Uncle John starts once again being "get the hell off my lawn" to his own wrestlers?

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

5 minutes ago, AgaveMaria said:

What happened to "Dump John Smith" stuff?

He changes Assistants and all of a sudden he is Cael reborn?

How he acts and reacts to his kids on the mat - will it change this year? Has he been taken over by Nice Pod People?

How long until maen'ol Uncle John starts once again being "get the hell off my lawn" to his own wrestlers?

Drinking earlier today?

• Fire 1