• Playwire Ad Area

Getting Their Money's Worth

Wrestleknownothing

Yesterday it was all about efficiency. Scoring the minimum while moving on.

Today it is about using every part of the wrestler. Exploring the space. Having some fun. As long as we are here we might as well stay...and score some points.

Looking at the guys who were basking in the moment and enjoying the spotlight (all matches went the full seven minutes) shows 1994 was the year if you like scoring.

Alan Fried scored 80 points (20-9, 19-8, 14-4, 12-4, 15-6) in five matches on his way to the 142 crown, while Lincoln McIlravy put up a not too shabby 78 points (28-16, 19-7, 10-4, 13-2, 8-3) in five victories at 150.

image.png.a20b8b2f861ca14ee7f4de0ff5fb3532.png

• Fire 2

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

Back in the day when there wasn't any tech falls my older brother wrestling in the sectionals wrestled a guy that may had  double jointed shoulders . In a 6-minute match the final score was 38 to 1. He went on to place 5th in the Ohio State Tournament. Unfortunately 2 months later he would pass away in a tragic car accident.

• Fire 1

10 minutes ago, Paul158 said:

Back in the day when there wasn't any tech falls my older brother wrestling in the sectionals wrestled a guy that may had  double jointed shoulders . In a 6-minute match the final score was 38 to 1. He went on to place 5th in the Ohio State Tournament. Unfortunately 2 months later he would pass away in a tragic car accident.

38 to 1, that's insane! Lol

30 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Yesterday it was all about efficiency. Scoring the minimum while moving on.

Today it is about using every part of the wrestler. Exploring the space. Having some fun. As long as we are here we might as well stay...and score some points.

Looking at the guys who were basking in the moment and enjoying the spotlight (all matches went the full seven minutes) shows 1994 was the year if you like scoring.

Alan Fried scored 80 points (20-9, 19-8, 14-4, 12-4, 15-6) in five matches on his way to the 142 crown, while Lincoln McIlravy put up a not too shabby 78 points (28-16, 19-7, 10-4, 13-2, 8-3) in five victories at 150.

image.png.a20b8b2f861ca14ee7f4de0ff5fb3532.png

Not sure where you are getting your numbers but pretty sure Sheets scored 68 Jr year.  Sr year had a pin so more difficult to total. 

2 minutes ago, Ohio Elite said:

38 to 1, that's insane! Lol

I remember coaching one of my wrestlers at a youth tournament. It was the first match of the morning. My wrestler loved to scramble so did his opponent  The periods were 1 1/2 minutes. The first period was a blur, at the end of the period it was 14 to 12. The ref and the scoring table took 3 minutes to get it straightened out.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, ionel said:

Not sure where you are getting your numbers but pretty sure Sheets scored 68 Jr year.  Sr year had a pin so more difficult to total. 

1988 - 2021 data. I have talked about this. Now if you are looking to extend the data before 1988 or after 2021, I am listening.

23 minutes ago, Gus said:

I am surprised to see Jordan Oliver on the list. I am equally surprised not to see DT on the list. He must have pinned too often. 

Yes, Taylor was a pinfalling and TFing machine. Only 6 of his 20 matches ended with a DEC or MD.

Edited by Wrestleknownothing

6 minutes ago, ionel said:

You are missing the superior decision era.  😕

Maybe give him a break. WKN does a tremendous amount of analytical data work.  I for one appreciate that a great deal. Thanks WKN

Edited by Paul158
missed a word

4 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

That sounded suspiciously like someone volunteering to add the superior decision era to my data set.

If I knew where to find it.  Wrestlingstats.com used to have a search function but it doesn't work anymore and not sure it ever had all the data.