• Playwire Ad Area

Pitt vs Maryland - Monday 7:30 on BTN+

lightweight

Nevills starts on the bottom.   Pitzer riding hard with a tight waist.  Get the wrist, briefly.  Standup and roll but Pitzer follows.    Another standup.  Pitzer still on top,   45 seconds left.  Pitzer riding tough.  Pitzer has the wrist.  RT locked.  Hooks the ankle.  Standup and escape for Nevills, but 4-3 with riding time for the victory!

Just like last year, a great dual- didn't come out the way I wanted, but a fun match. Thoughts on the UMD side of things:

• It looks like Brown's early woes were indeed due to the cut, as he looked great at 133 against a top-20 opponent. 
  • Unfortunately, with Brown moving up, Sandoval gets bumped. Sandoval, while essentially a journeyman, is a far, far better wrestler than anyone MD has at 125. Keep Brown at 125 and Sandoval at 133, and we head into 141 with a very different score. Brown, however, obviously couldn't make 125, so its a moot point. 
  • Miller has looked very solid all season (aside from more or less stalling for 7+ straight minutes in the Tiger Style finals), and notched a signature win vs Mathews (who wrestled a very sloppy match). 
  • I am unsure why MD didn't go with Best at 65. Best isn't a ringer, but I don't see him getting teched by Heller

First of all I lost my feed on the BTN+ which really sucks.  Secondly, where are these announcers coming from?  I have been watching matches on BTN+ and ESPN+ and haven't heard anything remotely good from any of them.  Check that, forget good, I'll take something that isn't nonsense at this point.

• Fire 1

22 minutes ago, PSULou64 said:

First of all I lost my feed on the BTN+ which really sucks.  Secondly, where are these announcers coming from?  I have been watching matches on BTN+ and ESPN+ and haven't heard anything remotely good from any of them.  Check that, forget good, I'll take something that isn't nonsense at this point.

Yeah, the kids announcing- and they both sounded like children- seemed to just be making crap up as they went. It kind of reminded me of reading AI created content where the general context is not entirely incorrect, but the actual phrasing is a mishmash of randomly selected words which are loosely related to the subject. 

• Fire 2

43 minutes ago, Natty Boh Army said:

• Miller has looked very solid all season (aside from more or less stalling for 7+ straight minutes in the Tiger Style finals), and notched a signature win vs Mathews (who wrestled a very sloppy match). 

I don’t recall Cole Matthews giving up double digit points or getting bonused very often. 

• Fire 1

4 hours ago, PSULou64 said:

They’re typically students I believe.  For that reason I try to give them some slack.  While these ones did have a few mishaps I thought they had good energy and communication skills, I’ve heard much worse.  For example it wasn’t “like” or “you know” every other word.

Much prefer IMO to the zero announcers that Flo provides sometimes

• Fire 1

3 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

They’re typically students I believe.  For that reason I try to give them some slack.  While these ones did have a few mishaps I thought they had good energy and communication skills, I’ve heard much worse.  For example it wasn’t “like” or “you know” every other word.

Much prefer IMO to the zero announcers that Flo provides sometimes

For these lower to midlevel college matchups I view it as a learning experience for the likely student announcers. I try to view them similarly to the student drivers out on the road.  

10 hours ago, Natty Boh Army said:

Just like last year, a great dual- didn't come out the way I wanted, but a fun match. Thoughts on the UMD side of things:

• It looks like Brown's early woes were indeed due to the cut, as he looked great at 133 against a top-20 opponent. 
  • Unfortunately, with Brown moving up, Sandoval gets bumped. Sandoval, while essentially a journeyman, is a far, far better wrestler than anyone MD has at 125. Keep Brown at 125 and Sandoval at 133, and we head into 141 with a very different score. Brown, however, obviously couldn't make 125, so its a moot point. 
  • I am unsure why MD didn't go with Best at 65. Best isn't a ringer, but I don't see him getting teched by Heller

Wouid the score have been much different with Brown at 125?  Seems most likely scenario would’ve been something like a Brown decision win and a Sandoval loss by major.  Of course one team point difference would have changed their chances going into 285.

Speaking of Miller stalling, that was odd when he literally just laid on top of Matthews after hitting that 7 point move.   He needs to take some “smart stalling” lessons from @pmilk I guess…

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

Oh and someone needs to make a gif of those 3 consecutive mat returns from Brown.  Shane Sparks is probably having wet dreams about that

At this point they are wet daymares because he is probably having them while he is walking around and fully awake.

For some that would be awkward.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

9 hours ago, flyingcement said:

For these lower to midlevel college matchups I view it as a learning experience for the likely student announcers. I try to view them similarly to the student drivers out on the road.  

Only if you can avoid getting rear-ended by one of the student drivers. 

I don't think it is too much to ask that at least ONE of the two knows how  the scoring works; the other one can simply read off the data that the AD provides about the wrestler's previous record, where else they went to school, win streaks, etc., and let the kid who knows something do the play by play.  Especially given that BIG+ requires a paid subscription.  I don't claim to be perfect, but I am doing it for free.

Also, Pitt-Maryland were two ranked teams and it is a Monday early in the season, so it isn't like there was likely to be some huge scheduling conflict with booking announcers.    

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

Were there really many times they “didn’t know how the scoring works”?  I noticed a couple but I think it was usually the result of the scoreboard being wrong.  For example one time they said one guy got an escape in the first period before there was a takedown, but the scoreboard initially did show 1-0 before being corrected

I know student drivers are necessary but I don't want to be in the car with them, or driving behind them going to the same place they are.  In fact I'm only ok with them as long as they are going the opposite direction with a median in-between us. 

boom-dynamite.gif

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

Were there really many times they “didn’t know how the scoring works”?  I noticed a couple but I think it was usually the result of the scoreboard being wrong.  For example one time they said one guy got an escape in the first period before there was a takedown, but the scoreboard initially did show 1-0 before being corrected

Yes, they frequently called for back points when no takedown had been awarded.  And they called a takedown when it was a reversal, which you should know because you are watching the match and you know where the wrestlers began the period.  And, with the new college rules, when the official holds up two fingers it can't be a takedown anymore.  

I also noticed that the scoreboard operators were having problems, but this is not that unusual; if you're going to announce you have to watch the official and see what he is signaling.  Especially when you have two sets of eyes in the booth.  

As I said in the post above, none of us are perfect, we all make mistakes.  But those two (students?  interns?  communications majors?) aren't qualified to broadcast a wrestling match at this level.  

21 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

One of the announcers seemed to get stalemate and stalling confused.  And at one pointed called a stallmate.

I believe the OG "stallmate" reference was made during the same NEB vs. PSU broadcast as the infamous "Coach Snyder wants an illegal fist in the back call on Penn State" comment.😆

Edited by gromit
  • Fire 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, gromit said:

I believe the OG "stallmate" reference was made during the same NEB vs. PSU broadcast as the infamous "Coach Snyder wants an illegal fist in the back call on Penn State" comment.😆

I believe they were calling that Manning was asking even though it was clearly Bryan in the shot.

8 minutes ago, Offthemat said:

That should be a thing. 

Can’t remember if it was that dual or not, but an announcer pointed out that  in one match there was a stall call on bottom, a stall call on top then a stalemate from essentially the same position 

32 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Can’t remember if it was that dual or not, but an announcer pointed out that  in one match there was a stall call on bottom, a stall call on top then a stalemate from essentially the same position 

The only way the guy on top can stall is if the guy on bottom is stalling too.  Stallmate.