• Playwire Ad Area

Tommy Boy is angry!

Threadkilla

Just now, Wrestleknownothing said:

The school and he decided to take a preemptive suspension for the first two games against Little Sisters of the Poor and Hadley School for the Blind so that if the NCAA ruled during the season on the first offense they could say "well he already served a suspension". The cynicism of this move cannot be unerstated.

And the conference just hit him with a three game ban last week, because of the repeated cynicism.

Thats right these were not NCAA.  There are two different violation issues (plus lying to NCAA) going on MI volunteered trying to get out of the first cheap and the 2nd is b10.  You want to take back your post? 

1 minute ago, Idaho said:

Jim Harbaugh wasn't an athlete betting on his own school sports,  his staff violated the sportsmanship policy of the B10.... so let's start over so you can understand the question:

What would be the appropriate punishment for a student athlete who was betting on their own school sports? 

See above so you can understand the answer.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

1 minute ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

Wild to see Harbaugh and UM clap back at the B1G and get all litigious. My impression was that the conference stepped in and imposed penalties before the NCAA could come down with a heavier hand?

UM and b10 have now backed off, as MP would say "keep up."  😉

11 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

And lets remember why they give gambling suspensions. Because they are worried about the POTENTIAL for cheating that could result. Harbaugh ACTUALLY cheated. Much worse.

Gambling suspensions aren’t really to prevent cheating, they’re more to prevent throwing games.  

This thread has probably run its course.

Iowa's head coach thinks this is all unfair and doesn't want his guys to be accountable for their actions. His wife got thrown under the bus, his voice inflections were weird, this is a conspiracy against his team and the media is at fault for not asking the diversionary questions he wants asked. 

8 minutes ago, ionel said:

UM and b10 have now backed off, as MP would say "keep up."  😉

Only UM backed off. And they did so because the NCAA gave the Big10 evidence that a booster had funded the cheating (Uncle T - the most booster cheater name ever) and an assistant coach was working to destroy evidence. When the B10 shared that with UM, they magically had a change of heart and accepted the punishment.

9 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

If you are worried about the horror of others responding on a public forum you can always DM them.

See how I am responding directly to your quote...that's how that works. So instead of pissing match, how about a real answer to the actual appropriate punishment for athletes betting on their own school?  If you answer is to compare to Harbaugh, who is a coach and did not have the same infraction, then so be it. 3 duals? 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

8 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Only UM backed off. And they did so because the NCAA gave the Big10 evidence that a booster had funded the cheating (Uncle T - the most booster cheater name ever) and an assistant coach was working to destroy evidence. When the B10 shared that with UM, they magically had a change of heart and accepted the punishment.

Pretty sure the b10 has said they are now letting the NCAA handle it, backed off.

On the other, did Iowa volunteer to sit their wrestlers?  Dont you think one being a coach kid a time out mightve been in order?  Did the b10 suggest the wrestlers should sit out a few?  There is no similarity in theses cases.  NCAA had the info on the betting they are still collecting on MI football. 

Edited by ionel

3 minutes ago, Idaho said:

See how I am responding directly to your quote...that's how that works. So instead of pissing match, how about a real answer to the actual appropriate punishment for athletes betting on their own school?  If you answer is to compare to Harbaugh, who is a coach and did not have the same infraction, then so be it. 3 duals? 

It'd be more than 3 duals, need to look at appropriate percent of season.

I am thoroughly enjoying the pandora’s box that the ncaa has opened.  

They by no means have the bandwidth, intelligence or wherewithal to enforce their own rules in a fair and just manner, and are clearly resorting to the schoolyard tactics of “making an example”.  

I’d also like to ask if anybody knows, is there language in school administrator contracts that prevents them from gambling?  Same for the NCAA and conference officials? 

I have a very hard time believing that the people who always hold athletes to a higher standard than themselves aren’t doing this to protect some sort of personal interest.

5 minutes ago, Idaho said:

You came at me with snark in response to the post where I said two matches. Go back and check it. It is there. That is why I responded with snark.

3 minutes ago, wrestle87 said:

I am thoroughly enjoying the pandora’s box that the ncaa has opened.  

They by no means have the bandwidth, intelligence or wherewithal to enforce their own rules in a fair and just manner, and are clearly resorting to the schoolyard tactics of “making an example”.  

I’d also like to ask if anybody knows, is there language in school administrator contracts that prevents them from gambling?  Same for the NCAA and conference officials? 

I have a very hard time believing that the people who always hold athletes to a higher standard than themselves aren’t doing this to protect some sort of personal interest.

Yes, there is such language in the NCAA rules. The majority of the of cases at Iowa were not athletes.

"The university said in a release it received information on 111 individuals in total, including 26 current student-athletes from baseball, football, men’s basketball, men’s track and field and wrestling, along with one full-time employee in the athletics department.

The university also noted that "the vast majority of the individuals are student-staff, former student-athletes or those with no connection to UI Athletics." The list also does not include any current or former coaches."

13 minutes ago, ionel said:

Pretty sure the b10 has said they are now letting the NCAA handle it, backed off.

On the other, did Iowa volunteer to sit their wrestlers?  Dont you think one being a coach kid a time out mightve been in order?  Did the b10 suggest the wrestlers should sit out a few?  There is no similarity in theses cases.  NCAA had the info on the betting they are still collecting on MI football. 

If by backed off you mean sticking to their guns, then sure, backed off. They are sticking with their three game penalty.

1 minute ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

The list also does not include any current or former coaches."

Watching that interview do you think Tom is sophisticated enough to learn how to use a betting app?  He probably still throws his keys down on the counter by the land line.  

• Fire 2

If the United States Department of Justice is conspiring with the Iowa Gambling Commission, Willie Saylor and the Nittany Lion Wrestling Club to selectively prosecute Iowa wrestling teams, this is much bigger than we might want to admit. I suggest we form a club of internet private investigators to get to the bottom of it, using skullduggery where necessary. 

ILLINIWRESTLING719.jpg

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

If the United States Department of Justice is conspiring with the Iowa Gambling Commission, Willie Saylor and the Nittany Lion Wrestling Club to selectively prosecute Iowa wrestling teams, this is much bigger than we might want to admit. I suggest we form a club of internet private investigators to get to the bottom of it, using skullduggery where necessary. 

ILLINIWRESTLING719.jpg

I’m telling you, I’m pretty sure Tom thinks “the questions should be asked” of UNI’s AD David Harris…

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, Idaho said:

What would be the appropriate punishment for a student athlete who was betting on their own school sports? 

NOTHING. People should be able to use their money how they see fit.

Betting on games in which they played would require a draconian punishment

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."