• Playwire Ad Area

New Rankings Out - Intermat/Flo

nhs67

9 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

125 is not easier than 133, which falls off a cliff after a couple guys. 

125 falls off a cliff after no guys this season. It's going to be a long time before we see another 2x'er imho.

i am an idiot on the internet

1 hour ago, TNwrestling said:

I didnt say that. I asked someone to make sense of him going DOWN in the rankings when he dropped weight. That's it.

Make that make sense. 

I didn’t say you did, it was an honest question, and I honestly think Palmer does have an argument to be ranked #1 or 2.  After Figs, the rest of the top 125’s all have some questionable losses (as does Palmer but at 133).  But he also has a win over Nagao, not that that really factors into 125 rankings.

I think one argument for him being ranked so low is in theory you could look back at some of Palmer’s losses to guys that also spent time at 125.   I believe the only one last year is Lamont, who has losses to Kaylor (2022) and McKee (2021).   

6 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

125 falls off a cliff after no guys this season. It's going to be a long time before we see another 2x'er imho.

I’d agree with brain here.  125 more just has a ton of parity.  Ramos beat Spencer Lee last year (could have beat him even without the pin) but also lost to Anthony Molton

1 hour ago, bnwtwg said:

A lot of good high school juniors and seniors will soon move into the college ranks at 125/133.

Edited by MNRodent

same with AS Classic.
but the fact of the matter is NCAA rules and record keeping.
i agree w/ you that it SHOULD count officially.
i would also think it would be silly for the NCAA to list him, officially, as 5-0 and for intermat to list him 5-1

Dumb question time:

What are the weigh-in rules for the ASC?

I could have sworn that I heard it wasn’t a 2hr weigh in last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, 1032004 said:

@Husker_Du looks like your ranker forgot to include Palmer in the 125 rankings completely this week

In his defense, Palmer wrestled unattached at the Clarion open. This weekend Chattanooga wrestled two dual meets in which Palmer did not wrestler so it may be a case where Palmer is still deciding whether to take a RS or not. This is all speculation but something to consider. 

5 minutes ago, JVStateChamp said:

In his defense, Palmer wrestled unattached at the Clarion open. This weekend Chattanooga wrestled two dual meets in which Palmer did not wrestler so it may be a case where Palmer is still deciding whether to take a RS or not. This is all speculation but something to consider. 

Cutting down from 133 to 125 and then redshirting in your 5th year of school seems unlikely, but I guess it’s possible.

Just now, 1032004 said:

Cutting down from 133 to 125 and then redshirting in your 5th year of school seems unlikely, but I guess it’s possible.

I agree, my other thought on it was that since the weight cut, he is trying to compete in more open tournaments and possibly just SoCon matches. To limit weigh-ins but still get the amount of matches needed. I guess thats the beauty of the second week of the season, most of this is speculation and we get to discuss until it plays out. 

On 11/7/2023 at 12:57 PM, 1032004 said:

I think the reverse.  I don't see why the All Star match shouldn't count on records.

But I think it makes sense not to count matches against non-NCAA opponents.

I’m going out on a limb here, but I think it's the only way they can get coaches to agree to the matches.  Historically, some of the matches are clear #1-#2 matches that would handle seeding definitively, others are more for entertainment, and are asymmetric in the upside/downside for certain wrestlers to take.  Keeping it off the record allows for the wrestling to happen at all.

NJ used to have a similar all-star dual every year, I’m not sure if they still do.  Coaches protecting wrestlers and seeding got in the way of a lot of entertaining matchups.

• Fire 1

On 11/7/2023 at 12:51 PM, Dogbone said:

The seeding committee doesn't take into account previous seasons.  

Remember, Brooks was the #3 seed last year.  

He was the #3 because he lost to Marcus Coleman.  Hidlay and Keckheisen did not have similar losses.  For some reason, people forget this.

Last years results are taken to account, just not officially.  The coaches ranking takes last years results into account, for instance.  That's why Ramos was #1.