• Playwire Ad Area

Cussing in Public

Gus

It does not seem to matter where I go nowadays (grocery store, park, restaurant, home improvement store, etc.), people use vulgar language excessively. Even the presence of young children seemingly has no impact on these people's vocabulary. Teenage children cuss in the presence of adults and even in school. I have family that teach high school and her students cuss in class and have cussed at the staff frequently. 

It seems as if the art of tact and the principle of letting our speech be seasoned with grace is being lost on many. 

Thoughts?

Profanity is fine with me when used respectfully and correctly. 

I don't mind when a little kid intensely emphasizes, "That f*cking hurt" after breaking their arm. But it bothers me when someone adds bad words to almost everything they say, "That f*cking sucks" and "I am f*cking bored."

It is equally mean to hear phrases like "I can't stand you, not even a little bit," or "You make my blood boil," or "F*ck you."  "I hate you" is worse.  

What bugs me isn't the bad words; it's when people say rude stuff or talk about private things in the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong people and with the wrong tone.

3 minutes ago, jross said:

I don't mind when a little kid intensely emphasizes, "That f*cking hurt" after breaking their arm. But it bothers me when someone adds bad words to almost everything they say, "That f*cking sucks" and "I am f*cking bored."

It is equally mean to hear phrases like "I can't stand you, not even a little bit," or "You make my blood boil," or "F*ck you."  "I hate you" is worse.  

What bugs me isn't the bad words; it's when people say rude stuff or talk about private things in the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong people and with the wrong tone.

Agree with this whole heartedly. Time, place, and context is everything. 

1 hour ago, jross said:

I think this is a rational take on things. I am seeing more and more cussing just to cuss, rude talk and poor tone used. Tactful disagreement is becoming a thing of the past and set aside for yelling and hurling insults.

I see a lot more cussing from the younger generation than I saw in the past, though I do not necessarily blame them. They are just doing what they have been taught at home. For instance, my 5 year old neighbor girl dropped something on the ground the other day and cussed when she dropped it. She did not cuss because she is inherently a bad kid or anything but rather that was the learned response from her surroundings. The "do as I say not as I do" method of parenting/teaching is bound for failure.  

40 minutes ago, Gus said:

The "do as I say not as I do" method of parenting/teaching is bound for failure.  

I had a debate with my father on this not long ago, that this theory is no good any longer. I told him when you were raising me, my access to different ways of doing things was you and your friends. Today, these kids have instant access in their pockets to view how things are done all over the world.   

The world of opinions is exponentially more competitive these days. 

2 minutes ago, WrestlingRasta said:

I had a debate with my father on this not long ago, that this theory is no good any longer. I told him when you were raising me, my access to different ways of doing things was you and your friends. Today, these kids have instant access in their pockets to view how things are done all over the world.   

The world of opinions is exponentially more competitive these days. 

I agree that there is much more competition for our kids attention nowadays. This is why it is so imperative to instill morals in children at a young age. Also a reason why I think parents should keep smart phones and social media away from kids for as long as possible. The increase in technology that we have seen has lead to unprecedented levels of depression and anxiety in the youth. The internet and social media tells us that we need to look, act and think a certain way to have joy. It is a lie from the pit of hell.